TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ripping cd's using FLAC on an imac

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Merrill, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

For some reason when I rip my cd's in iTunes to Wav onto a USB drive the songs show up but no album art and no song title when playing. Mp3 works well but quality is not quite there. Is there any way I can rip to FLAC on an iMac in itunes

2. schueppert

schueppert Member

iTunes does not support FLAC. AAC offers much higher quality than MP3 and is supported on Model S. Use 256kbps for best sound quality.

3. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Thanks, Schueppert will try AAC. It looks like that is what you convert to if you buy a album and download it from the iTunes Store.

4. Tommy

Tommy Member

The method I use is to import the CD into iTunes than drag the imported "album" to the desktop and then over to Max Max from sbooth.org a free converter that I then convert to flac files. This way I keep the original 16/44khz bit rate of the CD. Probably can drag the imported CD directly to MAX, however I like putting it on my desktop first.

5. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

You can also use AIFF if you are looking for something lossless and iTunes/Tesla friendly

6. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I have ripped about 1500 CD's using uncompressed FLAC (using dbpoweramp) which does the artwork that wav files do not. They all fit comfortably on my 2TB portable hard drive (formatted FAT32) which I put in one of the USB slots. The advantage of uncompressed FLAC or wav files is the sound quality, much better than 256K or other compressed formats. With portable HD's so cheap - mine was $115 on sale at Costco last week for a 2TB version, there is no need to compress files. Also if you have or will ever get a good home stereo system with a good DAC, you will have the source to play the original CD's already done - no need to rerip.

7. AC1K

AC1K Member

i second this, FLAC sounds great, supports tags and album art embedded, and the codec is FREE