Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am ready and willing to give Rivian a deposit. But I am not sure whether to choose the tuck or the SUV. I have seen that the truck has a full size spare, but does the SUV have a spare?. This would be important to me. I have emailed the company 2 times over the last 2 weeks, asking this question. I have had zero response. There is no phone number to call. The fact that I have had zero response makes me annoyed about sending them $1,000 deposit.

Does anyone know if there is a space for a full size spare in the SUV?

As an X owner and a 3-time Tesla owner I have to say the Rivian vehicles are very intriguing. They're still "cooler" than their ICE counterparts but with much more functionality built-in. I'm going to watch them with interest but I'm probably not ready to put down a deposit. I'll stick with the X until Rivian is more mature and the charging network is more developed.

As an X owner and a 3-time Tesla owner I have to say the Rivian vehicles are very intriguing. They're still "cooler" than their ICE counterparts but with much more functionality built-in. I'm going to watch them with interest but I'm probably not ready to put down a deposit. I'll stick with the X until Rivian is more mature and the charging network is more developed.

One thing Rivian is doing right, that Tesla completely failed to do with the X, is use an electrochromatic window for the roof window: Electrochromatic roof

One thing Rivian is doing right, that Tesla completely failed to do with the X, is use an electrochromatic window for the roof window: Electrochromatic roof
It'll be interesting to see how they implement that. Usually the electric windowshades I've seen tint the glass to a frosted look rather than a neutral density dark tint. I would rather have fixed, tinted, and transparent than frosted and translucent. Frosted would be very hard on the eyes with all the reflection/refraction.

Reactions: CarlK
I think the compliance stage has already passed. Automakers are more serious about the EV now. They may not all say it but they should know it's the future and you can't fight it. Nothing surprises me anymore after seeing even Harley Davidson is going electric.

Reactions: mspohr
I think the compliance stage has already passed. Automakers are more serious about the EV now. They may not all say it but they should know it's the future and you can't fight it. Nothing surprises me anymore after seeing even Harley Davidson is going electric.

Harley will make a grotesquely overpriced Livewire in tiny numbers. Some dudes way overpay for Harley Vtwin for the sound and history of HD. Why pay 2x-3x for Livewire vs competition?

Hyundai is making Ionic and Kona BEV in compliance numbers.

Audi is making Etron in compliance numbers, Mercedes refuses to discuss EQC numbers because in all likelihood they are compliance numbers.

BMW makes i cars in compliance numbers.

GM makes Bolt and Volt in compliance numbers and admitted they won't make money on the Bolt until early next decade.

FCA makes 500e in compliance numbers

Ford makes Fusion PHEV and Focus EV in compliance numbers.

Honda makes ~948 Clarity BEV for entire USA in 2017 despite backlog . Looks like more of the same in 2018 with January sales of 78 units.

It may be that without Federal Credit GM doesn't think Bolt can get the required ZEV credits needed and needed MPG to meet CAFE standards and wants an electric pickup to get both compliance numbers.

Not good news for Riven if turns out to be true. GM could make conventional electric pickups and Tesla the radical blade runner one Elon wanted to make.

Scoop: GM Reportedly Working On Electric Pickup Truck With Tesla Powertrain | CleanTechnica

No mention of an SUV, Rivian seems to have that market to itself. Timing? Are we talking 2 years or 4 years? Finally, the market is definitely big enough to support multiple pickup truck EVs.

It would be nice to see some urgency from Rivian, however. Maybe this will light a fire under their butt.

I don't see a need for Rivian to deviate from their methodical approach. I think they'd be hard pressed to enter production in under the 18-20 months that they currently have planned. Unless Rivian has unforeseen delays (which wouldn't be unexpected given Tesla's track record), no unannounced GM or Tesla product is beating them to the market.

Reactions: mrElbe
Not good news for Riven if turns out to be true. GM could make conventional electric pickups and Tesla the radical blade runner one Elon wanted to make.

Scoop: GM Reportedly Working On Electric Pickup Truck With Tesla Powertrain | CleanTechnica

The pickup market is 3,000,000 sales per year. I believe if GM is serious about an all-electric pickup, it will actually help sales for Rivian.

Having GM in the market, people who are just interested in a pickup will see the electric version and then will compare to other offerings (Rivian, Tesla). The more viable EV options in the market, the more consumers will switch from ICE to EV and all EV manufacturers will benefit.

Reactions: RabidYak
Harley will make a grotesquely overpriced Livewire in tiny numbers. Some dudes way overpay for Harley Vtwin for the sound and history of HD. Why pay 2x-3x for Livewire vs competition?

Audi is making Etron in compliance numbers, Mercedes refuses to discuss EQC numbers because in all likelihood they are compliance numbers.

GM makes Bolt and Volt in compliance numbers and admitted they won't make money on the Bolt until early next decade.

Honda makes ~948 Clarity BEV for entire USA in 2017 despite backlog . Looks like more of the same in 2018 with January sales of 78 units.

It may be that without Federal Credit GM doesn't think Bolt can get the required ZEV credits needed and needed MPG to meet CAFE standards and wants an electric pickup to get both compliance numbers.
I agree that the automakers are still too cautious in planning only small numbers of EVs. Hopefully they will respond to demand by scaling up. It's their only chance for survival.

Here's a quote
Tate said carmakers, still reeling from the diesel emissions scandal, were struggling to keep up. “Demand for electric vehicles is out-stripping supply. Manufacturers are scaling up production and developing new models, but have been caught out by the rapid change in the market.”
Electric cars are already cheaper to own and run, says study

I hope none of those CEO's thinks the same way as you do. When dusts settle in a decade or so I don't think those current companies will all be there. It's their choice where they want to go. They are not dumb they should know this too but just don't see an efficient way to get there yet. That's why the GM story does make some sense. As for Harley I don't think it would throw away the century old reputation and selling point (V twin and the sound) unless it sees the writting on the wall too.

No mention of an SUV, Rivian seems to have that market to itself. Timing? Are we talking 2 years or 4 years? Finally, the market is definitely big enough to support multiple pickup truck EVs.

It would be nice to see some urgency from Rivian, however. Maybe this will light a fire under their butt.

Tesla's success is really an outliner that need to have all stars aligned plus some extra luck. I hope there will be EV only new comers but things are not as easy as they look even that Tesla may have paved the way. The only exeption could be some Chinese companies but it's hard to compare them to start ups here. The whole Chinse economy is essentially a giagantic government run multi-trillion dollar enterprise.

This story also tells us something, again if it's true. For strategic reasons GM would much rather to work with Riven than Tesla if it has the practical technology and capability. That's one sign among others that Riven might not be what it wants to make us to think where it is at now.

Last edited:
I agree that the automakers are still too cautious in planning only small numbers of EVs. Hopefully they will respond to demand by scaling up. It's their only chance for survival.

Here's a quote
Tate said carmakers, still reeling from the diesel emissions scandal, were struggling to keep up. “Demand for electric vehicles is out-stripping supply. Manufacturers are scaling up production and developing new models, but have been caught out by the rapid change in the market.”

There is a lot of demand for EVs

Both GM and VW have admitted they can't sell EVs profitably.So the they don't want to sell EVs on a mass scale. They need battery cell manufactures to significantly reduce prices at the same time while demand is skyrocketing. Good luck with that.

Porsche is confident they can sell Taycan at 40k units a year profitably. Because they are going to charge "porsche" prices. Audi can not charge "porsche" prices much less Volkswagen brand.

I hope none of those CEO's thinks the same way as you do. When dusts settle in a decade or so I don't think those current companies will all be there. It's their choice where they want to go. They are not dumb they should know this too but just don't see an efficient way to get there yet. That's why the GM story does make some sense. As for Harley I don't think it would throw away the century old reputation and selling point (V twin and the sound) unless it sees the writting on the wall too.

It is not the "way I think" but the reality in which legacy OEMs find themselves.

It is called the innovator's dilemma.

They can't make money at low scale. The CEO that heavily invest in electrification will bear the burden of the cost but unlikely the fruits of success. That will be one to three CEOs later. The CEO that invest heavily will not have immediate profits therefore the financial ratios performance will look bad. Likely these CEOs will get fired before significant profit roles in.

The CEOs of all the major legacy OEMs have not refused to invest in the obvious future because they collectively have an average IQ below 100. They are incentivized to think short term. Even the Germans and Japanese, despite what we hear to the contrary.