Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road and Track latest Taycan vs Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
If you ain’t first...

Attachments

• C7B63CAF-F368-4F83-ADC8-2F4BB38AF436.jpeg
    C7B63CAF-F368-4F83-ADC8-2F4BB38AF436.jpeg
    584 KB · Views: 87
Would take it all with a grain of salt.

At 140-150km/h on a German A-bahn, a Taycan is quite efficient (you'd be hard pressed to consume less kWh per km with a model 3!) -- and yes, that does matter to many.

And its range and km/min charging rate is surprisingly good too, despite its puzzlingly lackluster EPA rating (which is probably an artefact).

But they are very different cars. If you want to do long distances at 120km/h and carry either passengers in the back or luggage, then no prizes for guessing you'd rather have the model S and not the Taycan...

Agreed. But seems every carmaker (Audi and it’s e-tron, Top of the line Taycan S Turbo) are trying, but failing, to solidly beat Tesla where it counts to most consumers.

we shall see. I do hope that Taycan sales do better than Audi Etron

Audi E-tron sells quite nicely over here, despite all the sleuthing by Tesla fans to prove otherwise by looking at stock that you can purchase (the sales model is very, very different...)

The trouble is, though, that people are buying lots of 55 for which there are no batteries (left), and less 50s for which there _are_ batteries. Not being vertically integrated does create a lot of trouble for VW/Audi.

Audi E-tron sells quite nicely over here, despite all the sleuthing by Tesla fans to prove otherwise by looking at stock that you can purchase (the sales model is very, very different...)

The trouble is, though, that people are buying lots of 55 for which there are no batteries (left), and less 50s for which there _are_ batteries. Not being vertically integrated does create a lot of trouble for VW/Audi.

e-trim not so well in USA.
When you partner with Costco for discounts, typically not a sign of a hot seller
Audi And Costco Team Up For E-Tron Discount That Can Hit $13,000

Last edited:
Would take it all with a grain of salt.

At 140-150km/h on a German A-bahn, a Taycan is quite efficient (you'd be hard pressed to consume less kWh per km with a model 3!) -- and yes, that does matter to many.

And its range and km/min charging rate is surprisingly good too, despite its puzzlingly lackluster EPA rating (which is probably an artefact).

But they are very different cars. If you want to do long distances at 120km/h and carry either passengers in the back or luggage, then no prizes for guessing you'd rather have the model S and not the Taycan...
super hesitant to believe but if it true then that's awesome.!

I did 71 miles in 45 minutes @ 372 Wh/mi..93mph ave/ 118* max :rolleyes: 500 lb luggage/passengers. 350ft elevation gain.26 kWh used
how much less would a taycan consume?
oh and when I stopped to use the facilities the 3 adds 117 miles in 11 minutes

Taycan has got the Model-S beaten in the quarter mile though, I was surprised about that.
DragTimes on YouTube did that comparison.

Honestly, at its cost? I would have expected the (Top of the line) Turbo S version to soundly/without question outperform the 9 year old Model S in just about every category, including range and 0-60.

Imagine the performance gap when the Taycan that costs the same as a fully loaded Model S comes out...

Plaid. That will be interesting.

Someone asked me if I was going to now get the Taycan since it’s the “fastest” street EV. I said, “you mean for a whopping 9 months until the Model S plaid comes out? Uh no.”

But I do think the Taycan looks nice. Just not worth that high of price to me.

Honestly, at its cost? I would have expected the (Top of the line) Turbo S version to soundly/without question outperform the 9 year old Model S in just about every category, including range and 0-60.
I'm not defending the Taycan but in fairness the Model-S they raced was a Raven which is the best Tesla has on offer at the moment, you can't really say its the same as a 9 year old model.

Regardless what I was hoping for was Elon's ego taking a hit on that and them giving us another power increase via an update :D

Reactions: polyphonic54