Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Noise 19" vs 21" Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue is less the rims and, of course, more the tires. ALL Teslas now come with tires that have noise absorbing foam, but the benefits of that seem to be questionable and/or tied to very specific scenarios (i.e. ping on impact perhaps, etc.). The general consensus seems to be that the PS2s were very noisy but handled awesome. The Continental Contisilents were supposedly noticeably quieter, but perhaps not as much as most of the 19s . There are very few reports on the latest Michelin PSSes with the sound absorbing foam in them. REDI on here has them and may chime in.

So much of the noise thing comes down to the roads YOU drive on every day. If you drive on relatively smooth blacktop, heck, just about any tire is quiet on that. If, conversely, you are on the exact opposite (e.g. heavily grooved concrete) then most tires are loud and some are REALLY loud. If you have to drive on the latter a lot, then I would stick with the 19s especially since the Model S isn't exactly the most sound insulated car out there (compared to anything else in its price class).

Just picked up a new S 100D yesterday at Fremont and the 19 inch Goodyears are light-years quieter than the 19 inch Michelins were on the 2014 S 85. The car is much much quieter than the S 85 was. Very very nice.

Just realized a typo in my signature Should be S85 not S 84 :)

Reactions: voltronhb
I have 19's and they are super quiet. I don't remember what brand they are tho... they were brand new on my CPO I picked up in Feb so they might be Goodyears. My car has been in the shop since Monday (cosmetic fixes) and they gave me a P85 loaner with 21's.... I can't really tell a difference driving around town but it is noticeably louder on the freeway. I love the look of the 21's, but I'm glad mine has 19's.

I have 19's and they are super quiet. I don't remember what brand they are tho... they were brand new on my CPO I picked up in Feb so they might be Goodyears. My car has been in the shop since Monday (cosmetic fixes) and they gave me a P85 loaner with 21's.... I can't really tell a difference driving around town but it is noticeably louder on the freeway. I love the look of the 21's, but I'm glad mine has 19's.

It would be interesting to know which tires were on your loaner. I would bet they are Continentals, but could be the Continental 5P Contisilents (with sound deadening foam) OR the regular Continental DW Extremes (w/o any foam). As a side note, I think the tire tread pattern combined with road surface makes WAY more difference in the noise level than the foam does.

Own a 16' 90D Have 21's continental DW on for spring summer fall and 19's PS for winter. Handling wise the 21's definitely grip better and provide a tighter feel when turning. Road bumps are felt more for sure but not overtly intrusive. The 19's do provide the softer ride. I just love the 21 look that I could never just stick to the 19's for good!

Reactions: DIL
Many 21"s can give you equal or perhaps slightly better road noise characteristics than the typical 19"s. But don't forget that you're comparing tires of different classes here.

Most of the 19"s are either grand touring or ultra-high performance all-season, whereas almost all of the 21"s are max performance summer.

This means that the 21"s will have way less tread life, and cannot be used in cold temperatures or winter conditions. If this is an issue for you, reconsider your tire choice and get a size and class of tire that meets your needs.

I'm considering upgrading to 21" wheels on the Model S. My largest concern is the road noise. How does the road noise compare between the 19" versus 21" wheels? Will having ContiSilent on the 21" minimize the noise difference?
I have the 19" because of the road noise. I have had loaners with 21's and do not like the ride or the noise, mostly the noise. I have ridden in other S models with 21's, same issue. I replaced my first tires at 48000 with the same Michelin MXM4s. I run at 45psi, quiet ride. I have 56000 miles, average 281kWh/mi. Driving about 55-60 miles per day 2/3 highway, 1/3 local. Many trips from Phoenix to LA, PHX to Albuqueque, PHX to Denver, winter and summer driving.

Reactions: voltronhb
Many 21"s can give you equal or perhaps slightly better road noise characteristics than the typical 19"s. But don't forget that you're comparing tires of different classes here.

Most of the 19"s are either grand touring or ultra-high performance all-season, whereas almost all of the 21"s are max performance summer.

This means that the 21"s will have way less tread life, and cannot be used in cold temperatures or winter conditions. If this is an issue for you, reconsider your tire choice and get a size and class of tire that meets your needs.

Agreed and as tires wear their noise level often goes up so you will spend more time with less tread typically with the 21s...and thus more noise more of the time.