Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Noise 19" vs 21" Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally had Michelin Primacies on 19" wheels on Model S P85D, swapped them out for non-staggered 21" Tesla wheels equipped with ContiSilent foam-insert tires -- and learned that the 21" wheels/tires are quieter!

I'm now at 16,000 miles and looking for replacement tires. I'd like to try the Michelin Pilot Super Sports with "Acoustic Technology" foam inserts, but nobody (including Tire Rack) has them in stock and they're apparently not currently in production.

Since I'm addicted to a quiet ride, it looks like I'll be buying another set of ContiSilents despite their poor tread wear.

Reactions: voltronhb
My 19s are way quiter than my 21s. I have Pilot Super Sports on the 21s and winter Mich X-Ice on the 19s

I hate droning or screaming tires. My 19" with Primacy tires are more quiet than 21" with PSS Acoustics, but it is close enough that I am leaving the 21" on for now for the improved feel. The PS2s were distracting and loud on rough concrete to tolerate for very long without earplugs even though the sporty ride was nice.

But as pointed out earlier, as they wear, they all get louder.

I really enjoyed the quiet of the ContiSport Contact 5 (with ContiSilent) 21" tires (except for the poor tread wear, only 17K miles). When it came time for replacements, this time I went for the ContiSport Contact 5P (with ContiSilent) tires.

The "5P" model tires are just as quiet, but seem to have stiffer sidewalls and hence a slightly harsher ride than the "5" model tires. So far, so good.

I have the 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres. Unlike the PS2 tyres fitted to earlier models, these do have the "Acousti Silent" foam liner - which makes then exceptionally quiet: much quieter than the 21" PS2 tyres (which make a droning noise at speed) - and they're also quieter than the Goodyear Eagles fitted to my wife's P85.

The combination of outstanding grip - and silent running - makes these an excellent choice. However, I believe they're only factory installed on the Performance models; lesser models get the Continental tyres (quiet, but less grip).

I have the staggered 21" wheels. I changed to Lexani forged rims and RB 2 piece rotors. While I am sure there is a measurable performance boost, the reason I changed is to lower unsprung weight. Thereby improving the ride which it did.
I am pleasantly surprised there is less noise over bumps as well. I am guessing the lower wheel and brake rotor weight allow better suspension action and less drum effect to the car. Whatever the reason, it's quieter over bumps.

I originally ordered my S with the 19 inch rims and just loved the look of the 21's so I switched to the 21's. The first set was the conti extreme contact and where noisy and wore out in 8,000 miles. Now have the conti silent 21's and better wear and much quieter.

I have the 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres. Unlike the PS2 tyres fitted to earlier models, these do have the "Acousti Silent" foam liner - which makes then exceptionally quiet: much quieter than the 21" PS2 tyres (which make a droning noise at speed) - and they're also quieter than the Goodyear Eagles fitted to my wife's P85.

The combination of outstanding grip - and silent running - makes these an excellent choice. However, I believe they're only factory installed on the Performance models; lesser models get the Continental tyres (quiet, but less grip).

What is your experience driving on notoriously noisy M25 or other rough surfaces? Is it bearable with 21"? PSS still better than PS2?

The roads we have back home in Finland are really noisy (very rough surface for better grip in winter) and I find even 19" Michelin PS3 very noisy.

What is your experience driving on notoriously noisy M25 or other rough surfaces? Is it bearable with 21"? PSS still better than PS2?

The M25 is actually way better than my local roads, here in rural north Oxfordshire! Here we have very-badly-worn surfaces - so quite a good test for road noise. The various loan cars I had with the PS2 tyres were fine at low speed, but at 50 mph or higher, they started to produce a resonance - a low hum, which I found quite noticeable.

Not so the Pilot Super Sports. I do believe that the foam liner is specifically there to dampen out this resonance - and boy, it works!

So, to answer your question: yes, the PSS are - in my experience - considerably quieter than the PS2's. They also seem to be quieter than the 19" Goodyear Eagles in my previous car (which my wife now drives).

The M25 is actually way better than my local roads, here in rural north Oxfordshire! Here we have very-badly-worn surfaces - so quite a good test for road noise. The various loan cars I had with the PS2 tyres were fine at low speed, but at 50 mph or higher, they started to produce a resonance - a low hum, which I found quite noticeable.

Not so the Pilot Super Sports. I do believe that the foam liner is specifically there to dampen out this resonance - and boy, it works!

So, to answer your question: yes, the PSS are - in my experience - considerably quieter than the PS2's. They also seem to be quieter than the 19" Goodyear Eagles in my previous car (which my wife now drives).

Many thanks, this is all very interesting! I'm quite often in the UK and understand very well what kind of roads you are talking about.

When I first tested Model S it was on ContiSilent 21" tyres. I found the car very quiet on our rough roads. Then before I bought my 90D, I tested a Model S on Michelin Primacy and it was loud as hell. My car came with Michelin PS3, which appeared to be rather noisy on our roads. After this disappointment I asked Tesla to test a car on rather worn Michelin 21" PSS (not sure about foam inside) - still loud but the tone is different (higher frequency). Then Tesla gave me set of very soft Scandinavian type winter tyres - still loud but tone is different again.

Now the plan is to request again a ContiSilent test drive or find PSS with the foam sound deadening. BTW, on my previous BMW I had 18" PSSs with no foam inside and they were very loud.

Many thanks to Tesla guys here in Helsinki. They must have a lot of patience to handle such a pain in the back as me.

Another question to you. When you drive on some of your rough roads do you feel any vibrations on the steering wheel? My steering wheel have some sort of quite annoying vibrations resembling a vibrating mobile phone. It certainly dependent on the road quality. If the road is smooth then there is no vibration at all.

Many thanks, this is all very interesting! I'm quite often in the UK and understand very well what kind of roads you are talking about.

When I first tested Model S it was on ContiSilent 21" tyres. I found the car very quiet on our rough roads. Then before I bought my 90D, I tested a Model S on Michelin Primacy and it was loud as hell. My car came with Michelin PS3, which appeared to be rather noisy on our roads. After this disappointment I asked Tesla to test a car on rather worn Michelin 21" PSS (not sure about foam inside) - still loud but the tone is different (higher frequency). Then Tesla gave me set of very soft Scandinavian type winter tyres - still loud but tone is different again.

Now the plan is to request again a ContiSilent test drive or find PSS with the foam sound deadening. BTW, on my previous BMW I had 18" PSSs with no foam inside and they were very loud.

Many thanks to Tesla guys here in Helsinki. They must have a lot of patience to handle such a pain in the back as me.

Another question to you. When you drive on some of your rough roads do you feel any vibrations on the steering wheel? My steering wheel have some sort of quite annoying vibrations resembling a vibrating mobile phone. It certainly dependent on the road quality. If the road is smooth then there is no vibration at all.
I have the Conti silent 21's and they are much quieter than the Conti extreme contacts.

Are you sure the vibration isn't the lane departure warning? This could be being triggered if the system isn't reading the centre lines correctly.

I'm not getting vibrations through the wheel, unless I cross the centre line. That said, I rather wish I was getting a little more feedback through the wheel - the steering feel isn't as sharp as I'd like, but I suspect this is partly due to the electric power steering, as opposed to the hydraulic systems used in the past (which did give good feedback).

With regard to your earlier comments about the PSS tyres: make sure the tyres have the "Acoustic" icon on the side (it looks like a pair of headphones). I believe the original PSS tyres didn't have this, but the new ones certainly do - at least, the ones that Tesla is now fitting.

Are you sure the vibration isn't the lane departure warning? This could be being triggered if the system isn't reading the centre lines correctly.

I'm not getting vibrations through the wheel, unless I cross the centre line. That said, I rather wish I was getting a little more feedback through the wheel - the steering feel isn't as sharp as I'd like, but I suspect this is partly due to the electric power steering, as opposed to the hydraulic systems used in the past (which did give good feedback).

With regard to your earlier comments about the PSS tyres: make sure the tyres have the "Acoustic" icon on the side (it looks like a pair of headphones). I believe the original PSS tyres didn't have this, but the new ones certainly do - at least, the ones that Tesla is now fitting.
It is not the lane departure warning - turned the thing off on the very first day. Many thanks for the feedback. I hope Tesla will be able to find the cause and solve the issue.