Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip - BNE -> Perisher!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Yall!

Thinking of taking a roadtrip down to Perisher to visit my brother for his Birthday next week. Might take the wednesday off and get cracking.

Just need to pick a pit stop before Port Macquarie, any tips?

Hey Yall!

Thinking of taking a roadtrip down to Perisher to visit my brother for his Birthday next week. Might take the wednesday off and get cracking.

Just need to pick a pit stop before Port Macquarie, any tips?
If you have an 85 or longer range, Coffs showground is doable and if you have a three phase adaptor of any sort (16 A - single charger or 32 A - double charger) one to three hours will get the range to the Port supercharger.

Looks like I need a chademo adaptor for sure.

Don't suppose anyone wants to lend me on for the weekend?

I'm still waiting for my 3 phase hookup at home - Energex is killing me :(

If I order an adaptor from tesla what's the wait time?

Get thee behind me Energex. They can be "negotiated" with a bit, but tend to overcharge (if you'll pardon the expression). In my recent exploits with applying for "dispensation" to install a high current circuit (which were finally acquiesced to by the higher powers) I had to "talk" to them at least five times and then they wanted to charge $140 to reseal a meter (5 mins work). I retaliated by sending them a bill at my hourly rate and said I would take them to the energy ombudsman (which I definitely would) for charging 3 times a normal call out rate for such a simple job. They "waived the fee" in the interests of "good faith" with the customer. Ha! Then Origin ballsed up the account and I had to cha-cha-cha with them AND Energex so they could get it straight. :mad:

Now, what was this thread about again ? :confused:

Last edited:
Looks like I need a chademo adaptor for sure.

Don't suppose anyone wants to lend me on for the weekend?

I'm still waiting for my 3 phase hookup at home - Energex is killing me :(

If I order an adaptor from tesla what's the wait time?
Chademo adapters are generally in stock in Sydney, but only useful for Brisbane, Perth and Canberra (also need RFID card Canberra and Perth) as the superchargers in Sydney and Melb are pretty well twice the speed.
32A 3-phase (showgrounds etc) is totally different and requires a 3rd party adapter e.g. Evnomics.

If you don't have any charging equipment you could probably stay overnight between Ballina and Port Macquarie and get enough charge on the UMC to make it to the supercharger. Then stop at the Hunter Wetlands Centre near Newcastle who have the correct cable on site. Having a 3-phase adapter to use at Cooma Showground would be handy though.

Awesome - so that means they've got the required adaptors available for us?
I noticed they've got Tesla Model S Listed as supported, does that just mean they've got the cable to go from that crazy looking charger box they use?

So this Euro adaptor to use the 20A and 32A with the UMC - do I order that from the Sydney SC? Or?

I've left a message with them, but I'm not sure. Can't seem to find it on the online store (not that they seem to ship to us?)

Daemon, that is the plan I think. I've not got anything yet. I'm very green to all of this.
Happy to order the bits and pieces but I'm assuming it will take a while to receive, especially the Euro tail?
Tesla used to have the Euro tail in stock in Sydney (dunno about now). The other bits can (typically) be purchased from an electrical supplier (some of them anyway).

This is a helpful thread on charging:
Should I buy one, or both, of these Tesla charging accessories?

also the much bigger Mobile Charging for Australia

These are the 3 phase adapters for showgrounds . Use them with the Tesla Euro 5 pin tail from Tesla and your UMC.
(But if you have the 16.5kW charger option on your car then speak to Tim from Evnomics about a Maxicharger).

Here are details of the Canberra Chademo fast DC charger. Free but you need the Chademo adapter from Tesla and the RFID card takes about a week from when you apply for it.

There has been some talk about Cooma showground in this and other threads. Cooma would be a great spot to charge. Are they happy to have EV's? Has anyone used the showground? Not on Plugshare.