Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip over the Rockies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time troller, never poster.

Couple questions for you guys about Edmonton / Calgary to Kelowna / Kamloops road trips in the summer.

I have my X coming in Feb and was wondering how many of you guys do this drive.

Specifically Calgary to Kamloops.

Do people use AP awhile driving these roads or is it just to tight with all the corners to safely use this feature.

Also, we have heavy feet when driving and our average is about 120 ish KPH.... how does this effect the range? I think from Kamloops to revelstoke there is only that one private charger near Chase and It's about 300kms so with the 100D it's going to be tight if there is a huge draw on range.... can anyone confirm who speeds?

I think that's it's for now, pretty excited to get the car!

I highly recommend EV Trip Planner for all your trip planning needs. It is amazingly accurate on the amount of electricity you need to get through, and is so far ahead of the built in trip planner in the car that you'll wonder what pre-schooler Tesla hired for it (especially when you find out evtripplanner was built by a teenager).

That said, Revelstoke to Kamloops is quite do-able in any S or X in the summer with very little worry.

The only really challenging ones at the moment are Kamloops or Kelowna to Hope. It's a long way, and the built in trip planner is out to lunch on it's estimation. Merritt will help with this once it's open.

As for AP, Last weekend, I could barely use it due to all the ice and slush on the road, however a few months back I engaged AP when I turned on to the highway in Calgary, and next touched the steering wheel to turn off in to the supercharger station at Golden BC 3 hours later.

Hi there. I'm planning to do a trip from Vancouver to Calgary this summer in my X60D, but I'm worried about the Kelowna to Revelstoke supercharger distance (200km). Was anyone able to do that distance between superchargers on one go, and if so, how much energy did you have to spare? I'm concerned because even though my car is rated for 320km, I never seem to be able to achieve this range in the city.

This will be my very first road trip.

Hi there. I'm planning to do a trip from Vancouver to Calgary this summer in my X60D, but I'm worried about the Kelowna to Revelstoke supercharger distance (200km). Was anyone able to do that distance between superchargers on one go, and if so, how much energy did you have to spare? I'm concerned because even though my car is rated for 320km, I never seem to be able to achieve this range in the city.

This will be my very first road trip.

I assume you are referring to Kamloops to Revelstoke as opposed to Kelowna? Assuming you are, there are plans for a SC in the Sicamous/Salmon Arm area for this year but, if it doesn't come to be before your trip, you might want to consider a Chademo adapter for peace of mind. According to PlugShare there are Chademo chargers in both Salmon Arm and Malakwa. If you did mean Kelowna, there is a Chademo in Vernon.

With all this said, it is highly unlikely that you will need to charge between Revelstoke and Kamloops.

I'd do some research on evtripping.com and plugshare.com. You should be fine, but if you're in trouble there's a public EV charger in Sicamous. Tesla actually has a Sicamous supercharger on its 2017 map, so you might even get lucky if it opens before your trip.

Yes, I heard there might be a supercharger is Sicamous, but I'm going in July which is coming up soon.

I did mean Kelowna to Revelstoke. The Chademo adapter is kind of expensive though, so I would rather avoid the expense. (Or buy it first and return it if I don't use it? LOL)

I did mean Kelowna to Revelstoke. The Chademo adapter is kind of expensive though, so I would rather avoid the expense. (Or buy it first and return it if I don't use it? LOL)

It says the Sicamous visitor centre has a standard EV plug (J1772) which just requires a cheap adapter (you may already have one?).

Even if you don't charge up in Sicamous, I'd still recommend stopping at the Dutchmen Dairy for some ice cream. :)

Reactions: cmt489