Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip - Take 2 - Yaaaaaaah! Melbourne to Adelaide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
W
The boss is my wife!! I'm self employed so taking 'leave' is not an issue other than the necessary sign off. I won't have my car until November but I would be keen to do it next winter. I think trying to do the trip in summer is asking for trouble for the time being.

Alpal, Adelaide to Darwin seems like an epic trip. Alice to Darwin would be interesting, from memory the last time I did that there were a few huge stretches without anything at all. I would need to travel from Newcastle via Sydney/Melb/Adel but would be happy to pick someone up on the way.

I 100% agree on the solar city exposure. Alice is a great case for an electric centre, ditch fossil fuels and they would be happily energy independent with sensible deployment of Solar and battery, a lot cheaper than diesel based generation as well.

What we have is gas and current government policy is more gas. Through Re-Power Alice Springs we are campaigning to obtain a commitment for more Solar. Our Chief Minister (Premier) is quoting 20% as the maximum solar that the grid can take without batteries and batteries are too expensive or not proven. Working in the climate of a NT election campaign we are working hard to demonstrate that this is not true. Ideas such as electric cars holding stored power will contribute to our campaign.

On more practical matters what are the limits on electric car travel now? If we are driving in a region with no established charging stations what is your range and how long to charge? How many days would it take to drive 1600 km Adelaide to Alice Springs? The longest gap between towns is 250Km. Can you bridge this?

Hope to see you in Alice Springs, next year if not this?

Gas is a good option, picking between that and diesel however you still need pipelines and compressors etc and it is still a fossil fuel. 20% maximum is just completely backward thinking!!!! Batteries are safe and practical and they're not that expensive depending on what they're competing against. In ten years time there will be no excuses. Microgrids and local deployment will do away will the 'grid' capacity for solar. My price of power just bumped another 16%....roughly 5 kW of PV and one 7 kWh battery would see me 99% off the grid for about $15k and have a 10 year payback. Payback would be a lot quicker if it was just the PV. In five years time that will probably be around $10k and how much will grid power go up by then? The economics are moving quickly in the wrong direction for large generators/retailers and the only thing making them remotely feasible is cheap fossil fuels which do not cost environmental damage in the price of their fuel.

Practical range in a P90D/90D is around 400km so 250 km is not an issue. You can easily slow down to stretch it out a bit more. Charging speed is determined by the outlet but if you can get 3 phase 32A or higher the car would be charged in around 5 hours from flat. Everything would be working on the distance required so a full charge may not be required and just a one/two hour top up charge. I would plan to do an overnight charge and one day time charge or two shorter charges between closer towns. I would expect maybe three days max setting off from Adelaide full or maybe two depending on the route plan and if driving is being shared. I will make it to Alice, just not sure when but it is on the list.

@ Rich Bentley - I'm beginning to think a Melbourne to Darwin road trip may be a possibility this year after all. Already I am beginning the investigation phase (ie Nhill Showgrounds have 3ph power - just need to ring closer to the travel time to organise a key etc) and the logistics seem plausible (although I must admit I know nothing of travelling the outback yet).

@ everyone else - can anyone see any obstacles to be overcome with this idea? Eg - overheating - is that a possibility?

@ Rich Bentley - I'm beginning to think a Melbourne to Darwin road trip may be a possibility this year after all. Already I am beginning the investigation phase (ie Nhill Showgrounds have 3ph power - just need to ring closer to the travel time to organise a key etc) and the logistics seem plausible (although I must admit I know nothing of travelling the outback yet).

@ everyone else - can anyone see any obstacles to be overcome with this idea? Eg - overheating - is that a possibility?

Leave it to next winter and I'll come too!!! Winter in the NT is a more comfortable time to travel, I don't know what the car will be like.

I have a few resources to help. I think the Adelaide to Alice bit is fairly ok, Alice to Darwin needs investigation

Stuart Highway - Adelaide to Alice Springs

This gives a brief over view but there is a comment about 1/3 of the way down that gives some excellent info on the roadhouses etc and were is best to stop.

The Ultimate Guide: Driving from Adelaide to Alice Springs

This is pretty good too!!

Darwin to Alice Springs on the Stuart Highway travel information for self drive visitors guide

This one covers the section from Alice to Darwin. Looks like there are plenty of camp sites etc to recharge with.

Excellent novocasgreeny! Especially the second one. Thanks.

If I like it this time I may do it again next winter. I'll pick u up on the way through.

No worries Alpal, the first one is not great as a resource but there is a comment in the thread about one third of the way down. It gives some detail on the roadhouses themselves and it is from someone that drives that route every couple of months. Sorta like a skip this one, stay at this one, eat here, bathroom break here sorta road map. Hopefully I will have my car by then and we can convoy!! You just want to get all those bloody 'first' photos!!

Reactions: alpal
Sher had an itch to bring out the scooters ... great fun and legal of course. As long as they're under 200 watts they say they're okay. :)
You guys are lucky. In NSW electric scooters are illegal no matter what the wattage :(

Scooter.png

@alpal. Hope you have picked up on my reply but just in case here are my contact details. [email protected] and 0423507967

I recommended a contact with Brendan Heenan at the Mac Range Caravan Park or also known as Big 4 and OGDEN POWER who would want to help with their little used Charge Station.

As explained previously August is a big month in the centre with lots on. The more you can take in while you are here the better so hope you would have a couple of weeks to spare.

I have a contact with a mine about 40KMs off the highway down below Coober Pedy who would welcome you and provide a charge up.

I have been off line for a couple of weeks so hope your car is repaired and you are still planning.

One highlight of the day - definitely being the first Tesla on Kangaroo Island. :)[/QUOTE]

I am planning a trip to from Adelaide to Kangaroo Island in my Tesla model S 85 in November. What will i need to charge my Tesla? will I need an adaptor? Will I need some sort of charge card?

One highlight of the day - definitely being the first Tesla on Kangaroo Island. :)

I am planning a trip to from Adelaide to Kangaroo Island in my Tesla model S 85 in November. What will i need to charge my Tesla? will I need an adaptor? Will I need some sort of charge card?[/QUOTE]

Would be good to catch up in late September to see if an Alice Springs trip is in your sights. I will be between Brompton and Walkerville in this period. Where would I find you BenT

Would be good to catch up in late September to see if an Alice Springs trip is in your sights. I will be between Brompton and Walkerville in this period. Where would I find you BenT[/QUOTE]

No plans for Alice trip just yet. If I was going to Alice I would like to add in a side trip to Uluru and this might be a stretch. Perhaps it could wait for a Model X. I will email you re Adelaide catch up.

@
My surf boarder friend is semi retired and lives Adelaide southern suburbs. His son is a pharmaceutical manager in Sydney so we may be able to add a personal encounter that way before we commit.

Rich Bentley I am familiar with the southern section and know most distances are under 200km between town with one space 250KM. I have had a contact with a mine midway in this space who could help with a generator.

My assumption is that fast chargers will be non existant in this space so we will need to overnight charge and travel speed will be constrained by this. Your experience in this area will be valuable but I am happy to do any research you require.

I work in a remote location 300km to NW of Alice Springs and it is possible that access to this forum will be barred by our IT security. If you dont hear from me Mondays to Fridays that will likely be the explanation.

I work for Central Desert Regional Council in their CDP employment contract. My birthplace is WA but have lived and worked or studied in every state except Tasmania over the last 50 years.

I see a future when remote people will be able to travel cheaply in electric cars. And hopefully they will be more reliable. Central Australian communities are littered with broken cars.

Sydney direct to Adelaide is out because of missing charging stations?

Henley on Todd is run by the three Rotary Clubs of Alice Springs and is entering its 54th year.

The Arid Lands Environment Centre is behind Re-Power Alice Springs- pushing for more solar. The NT government and Territory Generation have just committed to 10 gas fired generators. Claim no room for more solar.

The Frack Free Alliance is campaigning against gas fracking in the NT which is being promoted by industry and the current NT Government. The ALP have agreed to a 4 year moratorium.

CAT (Centre for Appropriate Technology) have a big interest in developing solar in Central Australia.

I expect Google will help you locate these organisations and campaigns if you want to obtain more detail.

I will supply additional detail on request.
@Nova
My surf boarder friend is semi retired and lives Adelaide southern suburbs. His son is a pharmaceutical manager in Sydney so we may be able to add a personal encounter that way before we commit.

Rich Bentley I am familiar with the southern section and know most distances are under 200km between town with one space 250KM. I have had a contact with a mine midway in this space who could help with a generator.

My assumption is that fast chargers will be non existant in this space so we will need to overnight charge and travel speed will be constrained by this. Your experience in this area will be valuable but I am happy to do any research you require.

I work in a remote location 300km to NW of Alice Springs and it is possible that access to this forum will be barred by our IT security. If you dont hear from me Mondays to Fridays that will likely be the explanation.

I work for Central Desert Regional Council in their CDP employment contract. My birthplace is WA but have lived and worked or studied in every state except Tasmania over the last 50 years.

I see a future when remote people will be able to travel cheaply in electric cars. And hopefully they will be more reliable. Central Australian communities are littered with broken cars.

Sydney direct to Adelaide is out because of missing charging stations?

Henley on Todd is run by the three Rotary Clubs of Alice Springs and is entering its 54th year.

The Arid Lands Environment Centre is behind Re-Power Alice Springs- pushing for more solar. The NT government and Territory Generation have just committed to 10 gas fired generators. Claim no room for more solar.

The Frack Free Alliance is campaigning against gas fracking in the NT which is being promoted by industry and the current NT Government. The ALP have agreed to a 4 year moratorium.

CAT (Centre for Appropriate Technology) have a big interest in developing solar in Central Australia.

I expect Google will help you locate these organisations and campaigns if you want to obtain more detail.

I will supply additional detail on request.
Hi NovoCasGreeney. I will be in Sydney in mid November. Do you have your new car? How is Alice Springs looking for August 2017?