TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadside assistance policy

Discussion in 'Model X' started by umeshunni, Mar 17, 2016.

1. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

• Helpful x 1
  2. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

"Depletion of high voltage battery" not covered.

3. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I guess it's an extra charge.

4. drewmcmanus

drewmcmanus Member

What DOES happen if you deplete your battery someplace in the middle of nowhere? Can you get someone to come give you a charge?

5. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

In some locations, AAA can give you emergency charging

6. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Actually, I assumed "Depletion of high voltage battery" means completely depleting it. When that happens, the car is bricked. The battery is toast and must be replaced at that point.

7. jd3

jd3 Member

it has always been the case that running completely out of juice was a very bad thing. I thought Tesla added functionality to protect the battery rather than bricking the car. I've not heard of AAA or any service being able to "emergency charge" the main batteries but that would be great news. Anyone have more details on how AAA does this? I wonder why Tesla won't provide that service if AAA can??? Seems strange!

8. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

There is set amount of power in the battery that is user accessible. There is always some portion of the battery that is limited to maintain the car. So function operate and it can be charged. Thus, it is not "toast".

9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Depletion of the high voltage battery means exactly what you think it does - it's running out of fuel to the point that the car stops. It does not mean *complete* depletion of the anti-bricking protection, it means when the car stops due to running out of charge, it's not covered. In the past, Tesla has extended a one-time goodwill gesture in hauling you to the nearest charging point, but it's never been guaranteed. In general, you run out of charge, you'll pay for the tow.