Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadside assistance policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it has always been the case that running completely out of juice was a very bad thing. I thought Tesla added functionality to protect the battery rather than bricking the car. I've not heard of AAA or any service being able to "emergency charge" the main batteries but that would be great news. Anyone have more details on how AAA does this? I wonder why Tesla won't provide that service if AAA can??? Seems strange!

Actually, I assumed "Depletion of high voltage battery" means completely depleting it. When that happens, the car is bricked. The battery is toast and must be replaced at that point.
There is set amount of power in the battery that is user accessible. There is always some portion of the battery that is limited to maintain the car. So function operate and it can be charged. Thus, it is not "toast".

Depletion of the high voltage battery means exactly what you think it does - it's running out of fuel to the point that the car stops. It does not mean *complete* depletion of the anti-bricking protection, it means when the car stops due to running out of charge, it's not covered. In the past, Tesla has extended a one-time goodwill gesture in hauling you to the nearest charging point, but it's never been guaranteed. In general, you run out of charge, you'll pay for the tow.