Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadside tire repair review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has probably been 15 years since I had a flat tire, and of course I get one in the car that does not have a spare kit.... Contacted Tesla through the mobile app, dude showed up 25 min later and put a loaner on, and Tesla repair was at my office at 830 this morning and had the tire patched and back on the car in 20 min. For the sake of being comfortable on road trips, I am going to keep a patch kit in the car which the tech confirmed I could use, and a little battery compressor should I get a flat out of cell range. Otherwise, 5 stars for Tesla roadside assistance in Denver.

Thanks for the report. Tesla is selling winter wheel kits so they probably have rims for loaners.

(Inside joke -- I'm glad you didn't lose all confidence in Tesla and feel like you needed to sell your MY. ;))

It has probably been 15 years since I had a flat tire, and of course I get one in the car that does not have a spare kit.... Contacted Tesla through the mobile app, dude showed up 25 min later and put a loaner on, and Tesla repair was at my office at 830 this morning and had the tire patched and back on the car in 20 min. For the sake of being comfortable on road trips, I am going to keep a patch kit in the car which the tech confirmed I could use, and a little battery compressor should I get a flat out of cell range. Otherwise, 5 stars for Tesla roadside assistance in Denver.

Good to know, thanks for sharing your experience.

I could be wrong about some detail, but I think I've read somewhere that Tesla does not offer a loaner wheel if you're running aftermarket wheels. Can someone confirm?

Good to know, thanks for sharing your experience.

I could be wrong about some detail, but I think I've read somewhere that Tesla does not offer a loaner wheel if you're running aftermarket wheels. Can someone confirm?
I can't say for sure, but the tire they gave us was what he called a universal tire and had telsa markings on it. Goodyear was the rubber. Not sure why they wouldn't give you a loaner if you have aftermarket wheels, but can't say for sure.

Had a flat today (Saturday) and contacted Roadside Service. They said they didn't have any loaner tires or spares and told me the best they could do is tow me to a local tire shop which also doesn't' have the tire I need. They said otherwise the best they can do is next Tuesday. What are we suppose to do if Roadside Service can't fix a flat? Wait 3 days for a replacment tire to show up. Fortunately I was close to home but now I can't travel anywhere until Tuesday. They will tow my MY to local Tesla location on Tuesday to fix the flat. I can't imagine if I was traveling this Holiday weekend and got the flat away from home. Roadside Service has to maintain an inventory of tires, not being able to fix flats is unacceptable.If this is the norm how can we take our Tesla's on road trips and not feel comfortable that Roadside Service will be able to help us when we need them.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Had a flat today (Saturday) and contacted Roadside Service. They said they didn't have any loaner tires or spares and told me the best they could do is tow me to a local tire shop which also doesn't' have the tire I need. They said otherwise the best they can do is next Tuesday. What are we suppose to do if Roadside Service can't fix a flat? Wait 3 days for a replacment tire to show up. Fortunately I was close to home but now I can't travel anywhere until Tuesday. They will tow my MY to local Tesla location on Tuesday to fix the flat. I can't imagine if I was traveling this Holiday weekend and got the flat away from home. Roadside Service has to maintain an inventory of tires, not being able to fix flats is unacceptable.If this is the norm how can we take our Tesla's on road trips and not feel comfortable that Roadside Service will be able to help us when we need them.
Many here carry a plug kit and compressor just in case, myself included. Watch a video on how it's done, pretty simple, though does require a bit of strength.

I have been carrying a Boulder plug kit and small compressor in all my cars for the past few years for this exact same reason. It was a little difficult when I plugged my first tire because it required more strength than I thought it would.

This is the kit I use.

Reactions: Rockstop
I have been carrying a Boulder plug kit and small compressor in all my cars for the past few years for this exact same reason. It was a little difficult when I plugged my first tire because it required more strength than I thought it would.

This is the kit I use.

I've been wondering if using a cordless drill, similar size drill bit to the puncture hole would make plugging the tire easier? I am referring to the step where you need to push the reaming tool past the steel belt inside the tire and ream out the puncture hole.

What would you have done if you had an ICE car that didn't have a spare?

There'll never be a shortage of brand new users posting dumb stuff. Towed to a SC for a flat? Have people always been so inept around vehicles? It's not like the tire was manufactured by Tesla and requires special "air" or a firmware update. o_O

I've had AAA plug a tire for me a couple times just because handling tires is immensely dirty work.

What would you have done if you had an ICE car that didn't have a spare?

Reactions: CapsEngineer
What if there isn’t a Service Center within a couple hundred miles of your location? Or doesn’t that matter? We travel along I-64 and once we leave St Louis the next service center in in Richmond Va. I carry a compressor and plug kit, but this has always concerned me, and not only for flat tires. I heard they are building a new Service Center in Louisville so that helps some. But Tesla needs more Service Centers.