Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2.5 charging amperage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging is best on a 240v circuit, in order to enable the car to actively cool / heat the battery if necessary. But beyond that, whatever you have a circuit and time for is fine. I have a 50 amp circuit (14-50 outlet), which is very common. That lets me charge at up to 40 amps, but I set it at 24 amps just to be "nice" to the car and EVSE (less heat) and community (less peak load) most of the time, since it still gets fully charged overnight. There is some research that says a higher charge current for less time is better for a Li-Ion battery, given a constant temperature and a bunch of other things, but in practice I don't know if it makes a difference on this car. I do seem to get a few more miles of Ideal range when I charge at a lower current, or at least the car thinks I do.

Tom Saxton did a little study that the most efficient charging was between 32 and 40 amps. But since I try to charge with solar I typically charge at 24 amps. That is easier on the power company as well. Also for higher than 40 amps you need the High Powered Wall Connector.

Thanks, gregd and dhrivnak!
I have a high powered wall connector, but from what you're saying, I'm better off staying at 40 A or less.

Just a thought: does it make sense to install heavier wire in case I end up with a Model 3 someday? I could use a 50A breaker for now, but have wiring good for 80A. (I'm not sure what the Model 3 charge rate is.)

I think the LR Model 3 can charge at up to 48 amps with the wall charger, but what you need to do is dependent on your driving profile. How many miles of range do you need to replenish, and over what time frame? My own driving was some 60 miles of range on an average day, and 24 amps has been plenty to replenish it. In fact, for the first two years I owned the car, I was sharing the clothes dryer's 30 amp outlet between the car (24 amp charging) and the laundry, and never had a problem getting a full charge whenever I needed it.

When I installed my 14-50 outlet last year, I upped the wire size just as you are suggesting, from the required #6 to #4 instead. That gives me an upgrade possibility, but it also makes the charging path just that much stiffer (less voltage drop). The run is some 30 ' between the panel and the plug; not a long distance, but it was a bit of peace of mind to have it. #4 was the largest wire size that the 14-50 outlet would accept, by the way, so there are limits to doing this. And the thicker wire was a royal pain to deal with.

So, bottom line, if putting in a higher capacity is not a big deal cost-wise, go for it. You can always select something less. But if it's going to require a complete panel upgrade, I'd back off a bit. A full 70 amps is seldom necessary at home.

Great advice. Thanks, everyone!

I'm fortunate to have my breaker panel next to my garage door. I'll mount the charger there, so the wiring will be simple, and I can charge inside or outside the garage.

I assume that if I really needed to charge in a hurry for some reason, the Roadster would charge at 70A. True?

Agreed. The higher current is always nice to have, just in case, but in the 3 years I've owned my car, the only time I've needed to charge it faster than 40 amps was when I was on the road. Then, the faster the better :).

Thanks, gregd and dhrivnak!
I have a high powered wall connector, but from what you're saying, I'm better off staying at 40 A or less.

Just a thought: does it make sense to install heavier wire in case I end up with a Model 3 someday? I could use a 50A breaker for now, but have wiring good for 80A. (I'm not sure what the Model 3 charge rate is.)
Yes, in my opinion it makes sense to wire your charger for 80A. The reasons: Somebody (like me, or maybe your most annoying in-laws) may stop at your house while driving from VT to FL and 70A will be really handy. Do you want those annoying in-laws to stay overnight? No. Charge them up quick and send them along. Reason 2: Some day you will install load-sharing chargers and you will reflect on how smart you were to wire for 80A even though your in-laws are really nice people. Reason 3: I have had 4 times in 6 years where having 70 or 80A was a lifesaver. Everybody here has mentioned the two or three times they needed it. Don't discount the value of something just because it's only necessary once every year or two.

Two years ago I had a Roadster stop at my house on its way around the world. It was a real thrill to have lunch with Team Switzerland while they charged at 70A. I stayed in touch and was invited to travel around Switzerland for 9 days last summer in a Model X. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and none of it ever would have happened if I hadn't wired for 80A.

Reactions: markwj and dhrivnak
I just bought a 2010 Roadster 2.5 and am waiting for it to be shipped.
I downloaded a manual showing it can charge at up to 70 amps, but the seller charges at 40.
What is the max charging amps you recommend?
Thanks!
I have a Roadster HPC on an 80A circuit. If your panel can handle it and you can afford it, why not? But you need a charger that can deliver that much power. Look at the Clipper Creek 1772 units currently available. And then of course you will need an adaptor. Get the CAN JR made by @hcsharp

Reactions: dhrivnak
I want to caution you about using a high amp breaker for a multiple charger circuit.
Let's say you install two wall chargers on a single breaker. Your plans are to charge both your Teslas (lucky you!) at the same time.
You plan to charge each at 40A, so you installed a 100A breaker to control them.

The problem is, it would take a major fault on either circuit to trip that large a breaker. For instance, if you're charging one car, you're protecting a 40A charging unit with a 100A breaker, when it should be a 50A in order to protect your system against a short or overheating. You could damage your charger and maybe your car. I think it would be better to put each charger on its own circuit with its own breaker sized for the amperage for each.

Tesla Wall Connectors are made to be on a 100 amp breaker. If you want to use a NEMA14-50 receptacle then it will need a 50 amp breaker. Two NEMA14-50 receptacles could be on a 100 amp feeder if you install the feeder into a sub panel with two 50 amp breakers in it. Two Wall Chargers can share a 100 amp circuit.

From the installation manual:
The Wall Connector provides the capability to wire 4 Wall Connectors to a single circuit, giving vehicle owners reassurance that they can charge multiple vehicles at home (refer to Appendix B: Optional Connection for Load Sharing on page 28).

Last edited:
Tesla Wall Connectors are made to be on a 100 amp breaker. If you want to use a NEMA14-50 receptacle then it will need a 50 amp breaker. Two NEMA14-50 receptacles could be on a 100 amp feeder if you install the feeder into a sub panel with two 50 amp breakers in it. Two Wall Chargers can share a 100 amp circuit.

From the installation manual:
The Wall Connector provides the capability to wire 4 Wall Connectors to a single circuit, giving vehicle owners reassurance that they can charge multiple vehicles at home (refer to Appendix B: Optional Connection for Load Sharing on page 28).

That helps clarify the matter. Thanks!