Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, nothing about the aero improvements, the wheel bearing upgrades, etc. Just "Battery pack".

Also, can we assume that this is going to be available for the foreseeable future? I don't need a new pack now (mine is in dandy shape). If this was a lower cost, I would just get on the list right now but, at $29K, it's really hard for me to justify. However, at some point, I will need a new pack (assuming I keep the car long enough). So, will the 3.0 packs be the new "Standard" for replacement packs going forward?

I'm also really curious what this is going to do to the market value of used Roadsters. i.e. Will Roadsters with the 3.0 pack sell for $29K more than Roadsters with a Standard battery pack? (Yes, I know people will ASK for $29K more for their Roadster with the 3.0 pack...but will they get it?)

30k isn't a surprise, it was always going to be that expensive. If anything it's less than I thought it would be (30-40k is the range I figured).But an increase in weight? Come on, Tesla. That's the exact opposite of the reasonable thing to do. This car is too heavy.Personally I have no interest in this "upgrade" unless I can buy half of one - then it would actually be an upgrade. Even then, I wouldn't do it until my battery, which is currently stellar in terms of degradation, degrades further.Also, do we have any information about trade-in credit for our current battery? Or does this include it? That perhaps is why it's a bit cheaper than I was expecting, because that part is already included.
My sentiment exactly. Even with 174 miles of ideal range, I still have 2-3x the range I need. There's zero incentive for me to purchase the upgrade unless it came along with weight savings or appearance mods that I couldn't live without.

30k isn't a surprise, it was always going to be that expensive. If anything it's less than I thought it would be (30-40k is the range I figured). I guess they probly include the trade-in credit for the original battery in the price.

But an increase in weight? Come on, Tesla. That's the exact opposite of the reasonable thing to do. This car is too heavy. Personally I have no interest in this "upgrade" unless I can buy half of one - then it would actually be an upgrade. Even then, I wouldn't do it until my battery, which is currently stellar in terms of degradation, degrades further.

edit: sorry about the weird double post, the forums are running very slowly for me, so I made this post then deleted the original and remade it with some edits.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'm really hoping we can get the brake drag reduction and maybe aero modifications (depending on what they are) done to the car independently of the battery "upgrade."

Not going to pull the trigger at this price. It costs about $5k to get a refurbished current pack if something happens because they credit you for the pack you're turning in. It doesn't appear that this price gives you any credit for the current pack you are trading in. Do I get to keep my original pack?

As others have said, higher cost than I was hoping for but likely what I expected it to be.
What is very disappointing though is that the email mentions nothing about the body style and other aerodynamic changes that were originally mentioned as being part of the upgrade.

Also, can we assume that this is going to be available for the foreseeable future? I don't need a new pack now (mine is in dandy shape). If this was a lower cost, I would just get on the list right now but, at $29K, it's really hard for me to justify. However, at some point, I will need a new pack (assuming I keep the car long enough). So, will the 3.0 packs be the new "Standard" for replacement packs going forward?

Same here H...if the new pack was priced around $10-15,000, I would upgrade just to keep current. I still have plenty of life left in my battery, so I'll place this on the back burner for now...

I'm getting charged $475 for Tax...

In Washingtion state there is no sales tax for EV batteries from what I can tell (expires in 2020).

You are correct that there should be no tax in WA. I've been bugging Tesla about this for years, but they don't want to fix their web site. So the workaround is that you pay the tax, and then send email to [email protected] and ask for the "Washington Buyers Retail Tax Exemption Form". Fill it out and send it back to them, and then they will refund the tax.

- - - Updated - - -

I just sent in some questions asking about what warranty is provided, how much the weight changes, what the PEM upgrades are, verifying that they expect the old pack but do not give any credit (so it doesn't matter what condition it is in), and asking if this is a limited-time offer or if they expect to offer this on an on-going basis. I will post any answers I get.

Bummer. I don't want to go 80 more miles in my Roadster (and it weighs more?). I would love to get the same capacity as I have now but have the battery weigh 40% less and lower the center of gravity. It would be cheaper too ($20K?). Seems like it would be easy to fill that container 60% full. The software would know what to do.

I guess we will see what happens.

Bummer. I don't want to go 80 more miles in my Roadster (and it weighs more?). I would love to get the same capacity as I have now but have the battery weigh 40% less and lower the center of gravity. It would be cheaper too ($20K?). Seems like it would be easy to fill that container 60% full. The software would know what to do.

I guess we will see what happens.

Exactly - I don't want more range - I want less weight!

I am still checking this thread, looking for good news. None yet. Well, I guess the good news is that if we have a battery die, we can now pay $29k for a 69kWh replacement instead of $36k for a 53kWh replacement. That helps (it is about 2/3 the previous price per kWh), but it not the "compelling upgrade" that had been rumored.

Paying $29k for something heavier, with no significant warranty or any other performance benefits, seems like it's going to be really limited market. You've got to either have a pack that doesn't work at all, or be unable to live with 200 miles, OK with 300, and unwilling to buy another car for those trips, like a Model S. Or, a Prius or Volt, which would be about the same price as the upgrade.

35% range increase from 245 is only 330... Not 400
Yes, but none of us have anywhere near 245 miles of range anymore.
If the new battery could give around 300 miles of real world range while also showing a decreased amount of degradation over time (compared to the original Roadster battery) that would be a major improvement over what we are all living with now.
The new battery would mean that the Roadster would have greater range than an S 90D. And that would be without the other 3.0 range improvements: aero, brakes, tires.