Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always find the acceleration better when the pack is more than half charged on the Roadster (not on the Model S though). Do others find the same?

Perhaps the battery upgrade will offer slightly lower 0 to 60 due to the (unknown) extra weight but in terms of real world acceleration this might be offset by spending more time with the battery at a higher state of charge?

Is there no credit for my old battery which is within 5% capacity of new? ( Probably close to 4% )
I am not excited to pay $29K to get a new 3.0 battery when mine is very close to new ( old battery ).

I actually posted this a couple years ago when the numbers were guesses, but now they are not.
If there is no credit for my old battery, is anyone with a tired old battery interested in my almost new one for $10K?
Both our cars go in to Tesla, my battery comes out and goes to you. Yours comes out and goes to Tesla. I get a new 3.0 battery.
I pay Tesla $29K. You pay me $8K. You pay Tesla $2K to do the labor of swapping your battery.
Net cost to you $10K, you get an almost new battery with ~235 miles range.
Net cost to me $21K, I get a new 3.0 battery.

Anybody? Please discuss.

Only question I have:

will 2.000 $ take care of the work? Changing the battery is a lot of work and I am not sure about what Tesla charges for it, might be (much) higher).

checking in on the to-do list: real world demo, specs, prices (a la carte, please!), warranty...:frown:

Seven months hence from my post above, we've got a la carte and we've got a price (for battery part).

Open items:
- specs, warranty, TIMING on 3.0 battery
- price, specs, warranty, TIMING on 3.0 aero
- price, specs, warranty, TIMING on 3.0 wheel bearing/tire options
- any other real world demo data that makes this all sound really cool

Overall, I'm happy this is here. Anyone who loses a pack outside of warranty has this option for sure, and it doesn't cost $40k, and it gives 35% more range than original. (That person also has increased chance of getting a perfectly good refurb pack instead, with capacity for say 150-180 miles on standard charge, surely for less than $29k...??).

I was kinda guessing/hoping the $29k zone or slightly lower would cover the full 3.0 package (battery/aero/etc), so price is a bit higher than what I was initially prepared to go on a pure battery upgrade. Unless there's a real incentive (credit TBD) for trading in a perfectly good old pack, the 3.0 pack is just better certainty on what a replacement pack would cost in the event of failure in my current pack. (Still very helpful, much less sexy. As a good colleague once said, better than a sharp stick in the eye).

Like many others, with all the time to get here, I strangely need still more time (and more info) to sort it out for myself.

I always find the acceleration better when the pack is more than half charged on the Roadster (not on the Model S though). Do others find the same?

Yes, of course. If you want to get optimum acceleration, you want the pack to be full.

I've drag raced the Model S. It got fractionally slower on each run, as the battery depleted. It's a small difference, but it was measurable at a drag strip.

Perhaps the battery upgrade will offer slightly lower 0 to 60 due to the (unknown) extra weight but in terms of real world acceleration this might be offset by spending more time with the battery at a higher state of charge?

Perhaps it will be fractionally faster. We shall see.

Does anyone have any idea if charging will take the same or more time (i.e. 35% more)?

I would assume that charging rates are the same. Also, if you drive a similar number of miles, the time to recharge should be similar.

The only difference is you can now drive more miles, then wait longer than ever to get back to a full charge. It is just a matter of kW input (which should remain unchanged) through the charger, and the amount of kWh you need in the pack (which can be more now if you used more than ~53kWh of the pack capacity.)

I would assume that charging rates are the same. Also, if you drive a similar number of miles, the time to recharge should be similar.

The only difference is you can now drive more miles, then wait longer than ever to get back to a full charge. It is just a matter of kW input (which should remain unchanged) through the charger, and the amount of kWh you need in the pack (which can be more now if you used more than ~53kWh of the pack capacity.)

This is almost certainly the case - which means that the time to charge after, for example, a 100 mile trip would be the same. Time to do a full charge would be longer since you are charging a bigger battery pack. On the other hand, a standard charge on the larger pack may not be any longer than a range charge on a smaller pack if you have a 70A charger.

In other words, if you drive your Roadster w/3.0 less than 250 miles between charges you probably wouldn't notice a difference. It is only when you took that long road trip (for instance San Jose to Santa Monica non-stop) that you would find your pack so depleted that you would need a good long time to get back to full again. Another thing is you could charge less frequently (such as driving more days in a row between charges) and then do one big charge at the end of the week. You don't have to "pay me now" as regularly, but you still have to "pay me later" instead. You just have a bigger line of credit now.

What is considered "worn out" on the ESS?

Our car is about four and one half years old with about 37,000 miles on it and is pretty much a daily driver. Our CAC is about 144 with a full standard charge of about 170 and we have probably only done a couple of range charges. We did purchase the battery warranty just before our third year.

I went to my local service center yesterday and was told that the new battery was not available for 1.5 Roadsters. I thought he must be wrong now I see this article Tesla Roadster 3.0s $29,000 Battery Upgrade: 330 Miles Or More Of Range that says also it is only for 2.0 and 2.5s. Is there any truth to this?
That can't be correct. Tesla's own announcement does not restrict the 3.0 upgrade to specific Roadster versions. See Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade
I have a 1.5 and have placed an order for the 3.0 battery. I have not received anything from Tesla indicating that it cannot be installed in my car. And as far as I know all Roadster versions use the same battery.
Sad that a Tesla Service Center employee could give such inaccurate information.