Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you considered putting a filter over the intake?
Yes, I've been considering it. But the requirements are pretty high:

1) Can't reduce airflow
2) Can't just itself clog up easier/faster than the fan
3) Needs to be cleanable as easily as the fan (I can reach it without removing wheels with a $7 extension I bought for my compressed air gun.
4) Needs to be securely installed, but removable when needed.

Right now #3 is prompting me to do nothing but check it every month or two with a flashlight.

My 3.0 v1 is on FW v5.1.2 and I’ve never seen the voltage on ESS SOC screen >4.1v on standard or range charging.
I wonder if tesla SC would update the FW to v5.2.0 for my v1 3.0 ESS? I assume there’s improvement over v5.1.2.
Here is brand new 3.0b pack charged to 99% in range mode. For those who thinks 3.0b packs are different... Still charge up to 4.35v like old LG cells from 3.0a pack. It doesn't sounds good.

Attachments

• 320727937_1531779317301709_1422456742979472735_n.jpg
    320727937_1531779317301709_1422456742979472735_n.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Informative
Reactions: eHorses and JRP3
Good way to degrade a cell unless they have some new chemistry magic.
iphone batteries all use these higher voltage cutoffs, and they all have predictive degrade curve over use. You can see the delta voltage difference here in mah.

Reactions: dhrivnak
iphone batteries all use these higher voltage cutoffs, and they all have predictive degrade curve over use. You can see the delta voltage difference here in mah.
As you can see at 4.20V charge we lose about 13-14% of the capacity and 14-15% of the energy, but undercharging is a good way to increase the cycle life by hundreds of cycles.

Reactions: spaceballs
Are people still able to get a new 3.0 battery from Tesla? Not much has been said here recently. So I hope Tesla is still making the battery packs for the Roadster. The reason I ask is I do miss my Roadster and who knows I may end up getting another.
I'm currently in line for one, as of July 6th. They said 6-12 months for it to be assembled and ready for installation. From what I understand, you can't just order one because you want it. It's only available as a fix to a dead or dying pack. They no longer do sheet swaps on original packs. After almost 15 years on its original pack, my 1.5 had a brick go bad (while charging on 120V in 100F+ degree temps FWIW). It seems that once one brick goes, others are soon to follow. So instead of paying for a 3rd party sheet swap or cutting out the bad cell(s), I decided to go R80 and get a fresh start.

Are people still able to get a new 3.0 battery from Tesla? Not much has been said here recently. So I hope Tesla is still making the battery packs for the Roadster. The reason I ask is I do miss my Roadster and who knows I may end up getting another.
Yes, last month they replaced my Roadster battery with the new one after close to 3 years.

Because the car stood so long, it needed a break job and new tires. Now all is well.

Total invoice was 34,700 EUR plus change.

Yes. A friend of mine just got his new 3.0 installed earlier this month and another friend just got confirmation that they are ready to pull his pack to rebuild his new 3.0.

Are the 3.0 packs more sensitive to cycles, temp, or time than the originally-included packs?
In terms of CAC, it's almost entirely time (see the long 3.0 Longevity thread where I collected data). I don't have enough information to figure out what correlation there is with their just dying like they have been, but the rumor mill says that it's all the early ones that have been dying. If it was cycles then you'd have expected mine to go much earlier, since I drove it much more than any oner one of which I'm aware, but that didn't happen. If it was temp, on the other hand, you'd expect mine to last longer since I'm in cool Seattle, but that also didn't happen. So my guess is just time (or maybe time + the batch of cells). But that's just a guess unlike the CAC result, for which there was solid data.

Hi all. Any insights on the longevity of the new 3.0 pack? Someone?
Tesla seems to deliver still 3.0 packs of the last generation (after 2020). I wonder if they approach me someday after I have ordered one 5.5 years ago if I should go for it or wait for an after market solution not being original Tesla.

Tesla seems to deliver still 3.0 packs of the last generation (after 2020). I wonder if they approach me someday after I have ordered one 5.5 years ago if I should go for it or wait for an after market solution not being original Tesla.
You ordered your battery pack upgrade almost 6 years ago? I got lucky then. I asked about the price of a new PEM to be proactive. And they ordered the wrong battery for someone and had it sitting in service center asking if I wanted to buy it and they'd thrown in the PEM. Hope you get it soon.

Gruber Motors might be the only other place to go.

What I think about regarding after-market parts is the warranty. Who pays for transportation costs if there is an issue? Who pays for diagnosis and labor? And where? Manufacturers' warranties are usually much longer than any aftermarket parts. My experience and interpretation of this is that the manufacturer's parts are superior because they have more extended warranties. The few people here attempting a new pack are all capable; Marco knows what he is doing. I do not know the others personally like I do Marco—nothing negative to say about them; I do not know them. The new 3.0 packs have BMB issues; otherwise, we have no problems with the 3.0 packs. We have a 3.0 pack here with 80 miles on the new pack, he got tired of Tesla not fixing it and sent it to us, we created a fix for the BMB issue and sent it home.

By Experience, I mean 35 years in the auto industry, 25 Years at dealerships, 20 of which were as a Ford Lincoln Mercury, Land Rover Jaguar Nissan Senior Master Technician, specializing in diagnostics, HVAC Drivability, and all things electronic, then four years at Tesla. Before that, I was a journeyman body man at Ford Dealers. I've seen a thing or two and hope to see much more.

We duplicated the factory sheets in China, but the tariffs prohibited us from importing them.

We are not the cheapest, but we are your best choice for all things Roadster in the USA. The parts we make and purchase are the best we can find worldwide, not the cheapest.