Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Foundry License Plate Bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it's been confirmed they work with the Roadster 2.5 then? Did you need to order any additional screws or anything? I wonder why Tesla just doesn't provide this from the factory. I had to check some box on the paperwork saying 'I'll take care of front license plate myself' since I assumed if I check for Tesla to take care of it, they'd drill holes in the front bumper.

No, let me clarify. Even if I received the Roadster Foundry License Plate Bracket, I wouldn't have plates to put on it yet... but yes I've heard they fit the 2.5. I will upload pictures when I have them.
Got it. Thanks. I guess I'll go ahead and order it then.

I heard in the new 2.5s, Tesla is drilling into the black plastic insert not the front bumper so maybe I'll see what that looks like.

Last edited:
Did any of the new Roadster 2.5 owners choose the option where Tesla drills the holes into the black plastic insert for the license plate mount? I would imagine that would be ok since it's not drilled into the actual bumper but would like to see a picture of it. I was told the AC condenser is directly behind the Foundry bracket location and that it could change the air flow as designed so I'm looking at the factory option.

I assume if I move to a state that didn't require a front plate that the three drill holes (in the plastic insert) wouldn't be that visible.

I didn't have it installed but it looks like one hole into the black plastic (grille) and not the body of the car. Not sure about airflow but what I'll do tomorrow or Saturday is take some pics or video to demonstrate. I'll also dcument the foundry "install".

I finally got my plates... just impatiently waiting on the bracket.

Ok, I got the bracket. We opened the box and it comes with instructions. The instructions state that it comes with a mounting bolt. This addresses one of my concerns (which is one of the concerns voiced earlier by previous purchasers who did not get a bolt with the bracket). Sadly, however, I searched the interior of the box and cannot find anything except the bracket. My office manager called to clear things up, and they are sending the bolt right away. So... although I am a little disappointed that I cannot post pictures of me happily mounting the bracket, their customer service gets good marks.

Another interesting point. The header on the instruction sheet states, "Front License Plate Bracket for 2008 Tesla Roadster." Either they need to update that or I am in trouble. I'll try a dry fit later and report back.

Sadly, however, I searched the interior of the box and cannot find anything except the bracket. ...

Another interesting point. The header on the instruction sheet states, "Front License Plate Bracket for 2008 Tesla Roadster." Either they need to update that or I am in trouble. I'll try a dry fit later and report back.

Ditto. I may try home depot first.
The instructions also picture the old grille.
Also, my tesla plate came with only one m6 bolt and washer and two of those sharp screws for the plastic part of the bracket so just the m10 bolt won't be enough ...

I had to hit 3 hardware stores before I could find an M10 bolt that could be driven by something other than a socket wrench (because there's not enough room for it). I found one that took a 6MM allen wrench. I made sure I got stainless steel (that's part of what made it hard to find, too). I've got pictures and a quick video up. Pictures (starts with the brown box that it arrived in):

http://picasaweb.google.com/cinergi/Tesla#

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1itF0iR8yPU

fits perfectly fine on the 2.5.

Would you recommend to Foundry Bracket over the factory bracket (that drills three holes into the plastic grill)?

I'd have to see it properly mounted (mine was zip-tied lol) to know from a visual standpoint. It sits a little further away from the grill than I'd hoped but it doesn't bother me that much. From a don't-wanna-drill-holes standpoint, I like having the Foundry bracket. If you ever need a tow, it'll take some work to get that bracket off (keep the allen wrenches in the car!). For ~$80, it seems worth it from the perspective of forgoing the holes and resale value etc ...

I just installed my Foundry Bracket tonight and it was a piece of cake. Had to get an M10x1.5 50mm bolt (this is a tiny bit too long so get something just a bit shorter - I simply added an extra washer) and snap-ring washer (OSH has a pretty impressive selection of metric hardware for you Left Coast folks) and 4 M6 bolts w/ washers and I was in business. It does stick out a little far from the grill but it does its job - it's solid and doesn't require harming the car in any way.

Last edited:
Had to get an M10x1.0 bolt and snap-ring washer (OSH has a pretty impressive selection of metric hardware for you Left Coast folks)

Would you confirm that it is an M10 x 1.0 and not an M10 x 1.5 bolt. Earlier posts have said M10 x 1.5. If M10 x 1.0 is correct for your car, I wonder whether there has been a change at some point in production.

Does the Foundry bracket not come with everything you need or was it just missing? Thanks.

The M10 was missing. I'm not sure about the M6's -- were those used in the license brackets that came with Roadster's prior to 2.5? I seem to recall the documentation indicating to use those but the 2.5 doesn't use those for its bracket. The good news is that I was able to find those much more easily than the M10.

Does the Foundry bracket not come with everything you need or was it just missing? Thanks.
The M10 bolt, split-ring washer, and Allen wrenches were supposed to come with the bracket but were missing. You are supposed to use the M6's that came with the factory bracket to attach the plate to the bracket. However I told TM to keep the factory bracket to reduce the clutter in my garage and help the earth by allowing them to give it to someone else. So I didn't have any front hardware.