Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Foundry License Plate Bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, took persistence but after 3 additional months of trying to get a refund the check arrived today. I never actually did get an e-mail or a returned phone call letting me know the check was coming but I'm glad I got it. Thanks.

One last follow up. The Foundry bracket showed up at my door today, even though I got my refund. I e-mailed them and got an immediate response. He said he went ahead and sent it anyway since it was such a long wait. That was very nice of him.

I am at two months and five days with no ticket for the missing front plate.

In fact, I had a discussion with a police officer in a parking lot as he admired my Roadster. I pointed out the missing plate and he said that they would only ticket me on it if I am pulled over for something else. It is one of those secondary items. Not a primary ticket offense.
There are city police, Highway Patrol, and city parking enforcement. Each has different rules and motivations.

As a fellow Seattleite, I can tell you that I've been pulled over on I-5 North, during a road trip from Seattle to Vancouver, BC, and the only reason was for driving a nice car without a front plate. I did not get a ticket (I explained that I had removed the plate to wash the car and 'forgot' to replace it), but he said that I should put it back on because they want to make sure that people are not sharing their front plates with car thieves who need something to put on their hot cars.

I have also been ticketed in Seattle by parking enforcement without even being over time. I once got a triple ticket: Expired plates, no front plate, and a clear cover on my rear plates. Apparently, you do not even have to be operating a vehicle in Seattle for parking enforcement to give you tickets related to plates. I thought that you had to actually be caught driving the vehicle to get a citation related to license tabs. I also thought that a completely transparent cover for the rear plate would not be a violation since it does not obstruct visibility in any way. Why do they even sell these things in Washington State if they're not legal here? Anyway, these were very expensive lessons, yet I'm still going to run my Roadster 2.5 as long as I can without a front plate.

Anyway, I'm sure that Seattle Police officers may not ever pull you over for lack of a front plate. I hope the same is true in Bellevue. But I can vouch for the Highway Patrol and Seattle Parking Enforcement as folks who will be glad to pull you over or write a ticket.

I also thought that a completely transparent cover for the rear plate would not be a violation since it does not obstruct visibility in any way. Why do they even sell these things in Washington State if they're not legal here?

They're illegal here in Ontario. Canadian Tire sells them. Half the cars on the road have them. Including mine.

I do know there was some concern on the part of the authorities about the 407 ETR toll highway in Toronto, where it photographs the plates as you go through and they send you a bill in the mail. Early on some people tried to find ways to keep the camera from getting the picture. But I don't think that's actually the reason for the rule.

Last edited:
I have not been a regular reader of this forum until recently, so I had not seen this thread before. I have a comments regarding several of the posts.

Designed by Tesla Roadster owner Stephen Casner and made available through EV Components.

3961313072_a63fc4b998_d.jpg

That is my car and my photo. I designed this bracket through a couple of revisions based on good feedback from other owners in the owners' forum on the Tesla Motors web site, back when it actually worked. I had a couple of batches made by a local sheet metal shop, ARVI Manufacturing, and sold them to other interested owners. I gave the design to James at EV Components, following the lead of Martin Eberhard with his Roadster Foundry Mobile Charger, because I did not have the time or interest to make a business of it. James titled this thread Roadster Foundry License Plate Bracket, but the name "Roadster Foundry" belongs to Martin who was not involved with the development of this bracket.

I have to ask why they aren't black by now.

I chose stainless steel so that the bracket would be strong enough and coating would not be required, but I can understand that some people might prefer the bracket to be black like the grille.

Here are a few hints on installing the EV Components license plate holder/bracket that attaches to the tow hook hole.

The bolt you need to purchase to make the attachment is 10 mm diameter and 1.5 mm pitch. I happened to have purchased one 30 mm long, but it does not need to be that long. Try to purchase a bolt with a head other than a hex. The one I bought has a 17 mm hex head and needed some washers to get a firm grip down in the base of the V where the holder attaches to the tow hole. A bolt with an Allen, Philips, or other head probably would fit easier.

Install the holder to the car before you install the plate to the holder. Particularly if you use a hex-headed bolt a socket extension with a U-joint would be useful, but a regular extension will work if you push it in the socket hole only part way.

The screws that came with the standard front license plate fit the new holder/bracket. They take a small Allen wrench.

It might be a good idea to carry sufficient tools in the car to remove the plate and bracket if the tow hook is ever needed on the road.

The new holder looks great.

I would also respectfully recommend that these products come with the mounting bolt and maybe even a screwdriver to allow for removing the bolt if the car had to be towed. I would certainly pay $10 more to not have to go out to source these items for installing the bracket and for adding to the car's emergency kit.

For the brackets that I sold directly myself, I included instructions with pictures plus the M10 (10mm) socket-head bolt, split-ring lock washer to fit M10 bolt, 8mm hex key (Allen wrench) to fit M10 bolt, and a 4mm hex key to fit M6 bolts supplied by Tesla Motors to mount the license plate. (Tesla really should have supplied that 4mm hex key along with the M6 bolts.)

I may need to carry an 8mm alan wrench to remove the Foundry bracket if I ever need to be towed.

I included the wrenches even though some car enthusiasts would already have them precisely because carrying them in the car is a good idea. Alan wrenches are compact and not that heavy.

Not sure about airflow...

My initial design positioned the plate up higher, exactly in the same position as the original plastic mounting bracket that Tesla supplied for the 2008 cars. One reason was to not affect the airflow. However, I got feedback on the owners' forum asking if an impact even at very low speed might push the bracket back against the bumper and perhaps cause a puncture from the bolts holding the plate to the bracket. So I redesigned it down lower such that the bracket and plate would clear the lower lip if bent backwards and such that the lip would not hit the bracket or bolts if pushed upward by scraping bottom in a driveway dip. I considered the airflow difference but decided that it was not a problem.

Ok, I got the bracket. We opened the box and it comes with instructions. The instructions state that it comes with a mounting bolt. This addresses one of my concerns (which is one of the concerns voiced earlier by previous purchasers who did not get a bolt with the bracket). Sadly, however, I searched the interior of the box and cannot find anything except the bracket. My office manager called to clear things up, and they are sending the bolt right away. So... although I am a little disappointed that I cannot post pictures of me happily mounting the bracket, their customer service gets good marks.

Another interesting point. The header on the instruction sheet states, "Front License Plate Bracket for 2008 Tesla Roadster." Either they need to update that or I am in trouble. I'll try a dry fit later and report back.

My guess is that those instructions are the ones I wrote. I provided the .pdf file of the instructions to both James and Dave with the expectation that they would produce their own instructions from my input, but I guess that was not done. I also urged them to include the same extra components that I did. By the way, I got my bolts and wrenches from Ohlander Company here in Silicon Valley, a great source for fasteners of all kinds.

I just installed my Foundry Bracket tonight and it was a piece of cake. Had to get an M10x1.5 50mm bolt (this is a tiny bit too long so get something just a bit shorter - I simply added an extra washer) and snap-ring washer (OSH has a pretty impressive selection of metric hardware for you Left Coast folks) and 4 M6 bolts w/ washers and I was in business. It does stick out a little far from the grill but it does its job - it's solid and doesn't require harming the car in any way.

The plate lies in the same plane as it would with Tesla's original plastic mounting bracket for the 2008. As I mentioned above, an important design constraint was to avoid contact in minor collision scenarios.

The M10 was missing. I'm not sure about the M6's -- were those used in the license brackets that came with Roadster's prior to 2.5? I seem to recall the documentation indicating to use those but the 2.5 doesn't use those for its bracket. The good news is that I was able to find those much more easily than the M10.

Since Tesla was originally supplying the socket-head M6 bolts to mount the license plate, I decided to make the pressed-in nuts on the bracket fit those rather than using English-measure philips-head bolts that would be more common. One thought was that a bolt that needed a metric Allen wrench instead of a screwdriver might act as a slight deterrent for the plate being stolen.

Tesla apparently has a front bracket option for Roadster 2.5 owners that doesn't screw into the frame at all now but it costs $327.

I'd like to see what that looks like. I tried to get Tesla to take my design and offer it as an option, but I couldn't raise any interest.

If you start producing brackets again, I suggest that you redesign the attachment area.

In the original, a hex-headed bolt will not fit properly. The bolt hole is at the end of a v-shaped area and there is not room for the common hex-headed bolt to fit. I originally used some washers to make it work, but that is an unsatisfactory solution. Of course, a Allen-headed bolt will fit. But, that means there has to be an Allen wrench available if you ever need to use the tow hook. The Allen bolt that I bought takes a different sized Allen wrench than the one in the tool kit.

Yes, my design was for a socket-head bolt, and I included an Allen wrench to be kept with the car. Using the Allen wrench, the bracket can be removed and re-installed without removing the license plate from the bracket.

If you can't find the foundry bracket, I'd be happy to forward along the contact info of someone that did custom work for me.

Tesla License Bracket

That looks great! It's a simpler design - without any welding or bending or threaded PEM inserts - so it should be much cheaper (even though it looks expensive).

Pricing was $89.95 plus $10 priority shipping. I'm not affiliated with the manufacturer. I've just been pleased with the work.
Mower Deck Site: Mower Deck Axles,Carrera,Cayman,John Deere,Kubota

There is a star locking washer that has kept it in place.

I became aware of the Mower Deck brackets for other cars about the time that I was looking for somebody to take over selling my design. I thought about contacting them to make a Tesla variant, which I see has now been done.

The reason I designed my bracket from formed sheet metal rather than lathe-turned parts is because that is the kind of manufacturing that ARVI does, and I had used them for a couple of unrelated projects earlier. Also, with the sheet metal approach, I was able to add on the tongue to straddle the vertical support on the tow-hook mounting socket to keep the bracket from rotating. I was concerned that the lock washer might not be secure enough with the heavy vibration in a car. I could have skipped the PEM inserts and just used loose nuts instead, but I think having the fixed nuts in place makes the bracket easier to use. In the design by Mower Deck with a thicker aluminum plate behind the license, they can tap the holes in the plate instead.

To all those who have one of the brackets I designed and like it, I'm glad it works for you. If the Mower Deck design works well, too, that's great.

Last edited:
Tesla apparently has a front bracket option for Roadster 2.5 owners that doesn't screw into the frame at all now but it costs $327.

Last month when I picked up my car in Menlo Park, I asked about front license plate alternatives. They said they had heard of something that mounts in the tow hook socket, but didn't know where to get it from or how much it cost. They gave me a plastic thing that requires tapping two holes in the front of the roadster and asked if I wanted them to do that. I said no, and so they made me sign a waiver absolving them of lack of front license plate responsibility (they actually had it already filled out, expecting my answer).

I just ordered the Mower Deck bracket. I'll report back after I install it.

Last month when I picked up my car in Menlo Park, I asked about front license plate alternatives. They said they had heard of something that mounts in the tow hook socket, but didn't know where to get it from or how much it cost. They gave me a plastic thing that requires tapping two holes in the front of the roadster and asked if I wanted them to do that. I said no, and so they made me sign a waiver absolving them of lack of front license plate responsibility (they actually had it already filled out, expecting my answer).

I just ordered the Mower Deck bracket. I'll report back after I install it.

Thanks. Actually that $327 bracket was something the first Tesla Ranger talked about when he came out once. I had since followed up and someone more senior said that didn't exist. Not sure where the first guy got that information. I've got a Foundry bracket now so will probably try that out but the Mower Deck bracket looks good too.

I have one of Steve's original brackets. It has worked out extremely well for me - the allen wrench is tucked in with the tool kit, and I found a nice real carbon fiber plate frame (I had to really hunt for it - I think there are more options now). I had originally thought about coating the bracket in black, but after the plate and frame are installed on it, it's really in shadow all the time so I never bothered. The bracket sits the plate just far enough away from everything that I haven't had to remove it even for cleaning.

I still can't imagine drilling holes in a carbon fiber bumper... -cringe-

I also still have the iPod bracket Steve did for the '08s - I adapted it to a ProClip quick change mount and still use it occasionally when I want navigation in the car - with my Android phone, of course, silly!

I hope that the Mower Deck bracket works for the '10s.

My friend was parked in the University District in Seattle for less than an hour and got a ticket for not having the front plate on his Roadster. With all of the budget problems these municipalities are facing they seem to be squeezing you every way they can.

My friend was parked in the University District in Seattle for less than an hour and got a ticket for not having the front plate on his Roadster. With all of the budget problems these municipalities are facing they seem to be squeezing you every way they can.
Seattle has long been notorious for issuing tickets to parked cars. Way back in 2006, I got a triple ticket for "no front plate" "expired plates" and "disallowed plate cover" (even though the cover was 100% transparent, not frosted or tinted). Only the "expired plates" ticket seemed remotely valid, but even then I don't see how they could prove that I was driving with expired plates. Apparently it is against the law to even park a vehicle with expired plates. The other two tickets were even more insulting, especially since I wasn't guilty of any normal parking violation.

Somehow, Seattle manages to fund a fleet of Segway units so that their parking staff can spend all day issuing tickets for every possible violation. I don't think it has anything to do with recent budget problems, at least not anything more recent than the last 5 years.

Last edited:
I told him that they probably thought that someone who could afford a $100,000 sports car wouldn't go to fight it in court. His response "They thought wrong!"
Please tell us how that works out.

I fought a parking ticket where the mechanical timer on the meter counted down my last 6 minutes of paid parking much faster than that. I walked around the corner for a coffee and saw the meter maid drive by. Sure enough, I had a ticket. Here's the kicker, though, I wasn't allowed to protest the accuracy of the meter at the hearing because the meter has a plaque on it saying that any problems should be reported to the listed phone number. I still don't understand how they can get by without putting that same text on the ticket, when the ticket only explains how to protest the ticket itself - not the meter. Anyway, I'd like to see whether your friend is able to successfully navigate the Seattle Municipal Court system.

Here the only police that'll ticket for no front plate is Dallworthington Gardens, but they ticket for every little thing.

On that note I've had a vinyl decal made from my front plate. Gonna install it today and post pictures in the Roadster Thread.

Last edited: