Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster - new options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't get why everyone is so down on the brakes. I understand that they kind of feel weak, but as far as I can tell all that means is that you need to push them a little harder to get them to work.

< CUT >

But, I'd expect a larger Roadster pack would have a better 0-60 than a smaller one (until it hits the limit of the tires).

If you keep the brakes clean then they are OK ish but they still lack initial bite which is one of the things that gives you confidence. You can lock the brakes / get the ABS to cut in at normal highway speeds but not say at 80mph.

As far as I know the brakes are pretty much the same as those fitted to the original S1 Lotus Elise which was 1000lbs lighter than the Roadster (not thats not a typo, 1000 lbs lighter) and had I think 120 bhp.

R&T give the following test data for 80mph to zero braking

188ft 2005 Lotus Elise
210ft 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport

OK in % terms its not huge but if the stationary object is 189ft away from you.... Its not just a weight thing, many cars heavier than the Roadster can do 80 to 0 in <200ft according to the R&T data. Eg the 911 turbo is nearly 1000 lbs more than the Tesla but stops in 185ft.

As for the bigger pack delivering more power thats a good point. With advancing technology its certainly possible to make a new battery pack for the Roadster that will give the same range but will less weight using a smaller number of higher capacity cells. I dont know if these newer cells can actually deliver a higher peak power though. Perhaps someone else here knows?

A new Roadster option needs to be a socket conversion to Tesla's new 2.0 plug. That way we can charge at any Tesla store, or service center. Not to mention we can share plugs with our Model S and Model X plugs at home and at friends houses.

Then when Tesla puts an 2.0 plug HPC at the Supercharger sites for the 40kWh Model S' we can now do roadtrips with the Tesla highway options.

Considering there are nearly no Roadster plugs left in the wild, the new Tesla 2.0 plug and the little J1772 adapter would be all we need.

Big +1 on this! Three different chargers in the garage is a pain! Maybe Henry needs to start working on Can #2?

A new Roadster option needs to be a socket conversion to Tesla's new 2.0 plug. That way we can charge at any Tesla store, or service center. Not to mention we can share plugs with our Model S and Model X plugs at home and at friends houses.

Then when Tesla puts an 2.0 plug HPC at the Supercharger sites for the 40kWh Model S' we can now do roadtrips with the Tesla highway options.

Considering there are nearly no Roadster plugs left in the wild, the new Tesla 2.0 plug and the little J1772 adapter would be all we need.

Amen.

> I would go w/ the Carbotech 1521 compound instead of the AX6's. That's what I'm running and it works great for us daily drivers without the noise and dust of the AX6's which are an autocross pad). [strider]

But you are always keeping your brakes hot by constant use, consciously or subconsciously. :smile: Whereas mine will be cold when I need them for panic stop, stone cold. When I begin a trip I now use them a few times just to keep them bright. Doesn't take much. I need to do the severe seating routine however, perhaps once a month. Are the 1521 pads good when cold, just to be sure?
--

- - - Updated - - -

> nearly no Roadster plugs left in the wild, the new Tesla 2.0 plug [vfx]

Every Roadster has one on their Basic Cable, but you are really not wanting to tap into this source, rather find a source for Tesla 2.0 plugs, right? Are photos available or drawings? I need another butyl windshield seal casting project.
--

There's a thread that discusses this for the Roadster:
Brake Pads

That'd be a better place to discuss and follow up on brakes. As for working in the cold, I called the Carbotech rep and he said the AX6's work great when cold. I believe I put the temp in the brake thread.

As for noise and brake dust of the AX6's, I'm not getting any noises except every now and then I can hear a metalic shaving in the brake wearing off. It lasts only 2-3 seconds. And I only encountered it 2-3 times. I use my car as a daily commuter, 65 miles each day. As for the dust build up, I'm really not getting any. I just ran my finger over the rim lip and only a little bit of dust can be seen on my finger. ...and this is from a week's worth of driving 60 miles / day (washed the car last weekend). The stockers were sooty and I'd always get my pant leg, shirt, or some part of my body covered in brake dust grime by accident. Nothing now. My choice for going with the AX6's was purely for the stopping power and bite which they're primarily designed for, not for your car looking clean or being quiet. Note that if you don't coat the backs of your brake pads while installing it and clean your brake components you will be prone to squealing of brakes no matter what brake pad you run.

Happy to see Strider is also pleased with his results and the 1521 pads, so it sounds like you're good to go with that route as well.

So far I still have the same bite as I did when I installed them.

> I would go w/ the Carbotech 1521 compound instead of the AX6's. That's what I'm running and it works great for us daily drivers without the noise and dust of the AX6's which are an autocross pad). [strider]

But you are always keeping your brakes hot by constant use, consciously or subconsciously. :smile: Whereas mine will be cold when I need them for panic stop, stone cold. When I begin a trip I now use them a few times just to keep them bright. Doesn't take much. I need to do the severe seating routine however, perhaps once a month. Are the 1521 pads good when cold, just to be sure?
--

- - - Updated - - -

> nearly no Roadster plugs left in the wild, the new Tesla 2.0 plug [vfx]

Every Roadster has one on their Basic Cable, but you are really not wanting to tap into this source, rather find a source for Tesla 2.0 plugs, right? Are photos available or drawings? I need another butyl windshield seal casting project.
--

Already voted there. Maybe we need to do the written petition with signatures. Seemed to work for the European 3-phase issue.

I'd be up for that and certianly know a lot of Roadster owners who are upset and would sign, but unlike the 3-phase issue, no one has said they won't offer HPCs (at least one) at Supercharger sites. The impression I got that SC reveal night is they had not thought of it (or can't talk about it) so it would be a simple non-binding referendum.

I'd be up for that and certianly know a lot of Roadster owners who are upset and would sign, but unlike the 3-phase issue, no one has said they won't offer HPCs (at least one) at Supercharger sites. The impression I got that SC reveal night is they had not thought of it (or can't talk about it) so it would be a simple non-binding referendum.

Good post.

I wonder if the upgraded motor and PEM rumors are just a result of internal R&D they're doing for the next generation Roadster, but may never see the light of day as an official upgrade, due to difficulities in integration, costs, homologation or maintenance. No doubt they have a few test mules with advanced technology, but it's a long road from there to a product release.

I'd love to see it happen though - it would be very cool to swap out the Roadster drivetrain for a Next Generation Roadster while keeping the same chassis. Especially if they include Supercharger compatibility!

I wonder if the upgraded motor and PEM rumors are just a result of internal R&D they're doing for the next generation Roadster, but may never see the light of day as an official upgrade, ...!

I heard from multiple sources that this is happening for current Roadsters. You make a good point though and the caveat may be that the motor upgrades are for track use only.

I wonder if the upgraded motor and PEM rumors are just a result of internal R&D they're doing for the next generation Roadster...

My understanding is that "legacy Roadster support" (my term) is now a standalone group not related to Model S / X or future vehicles so much as it is there to keep the original Roadster going. I also think they are working with selected Roadster owners to trial what you might call experimental upgrades. I don't think they want to say too much about them until they are somewhat "field proven" first.

Also, unlike Model S, where Tesla tries to do very much "in house", I think they may be opening up the Roadster to possible "factory endorsed" aftermarket upgrades.

Also, unlike Model S, where Tesla tries to do very much "in house", I think they may be opening up the Roadster to possible "factory endorsed" aftermarket upgrades.

Another revenue stream for Tesla. While they offer "free upgrades" in the software, they can offer mechanical and hardware upgrades that may not be serviced by aftermarket companies that have to learn the new technology. Since no one knows Tesla tech better than Tesla it's nice there is at least one supplier giving options.

The 2nd stage sound reduction kit has been released...

Interior Sound Reduction Kit (Interior Upgrades) Tesla Motors

I noticed something in the graphic:

NVH_KITS_grande.jpg

The second stage shows two "Underdoor Weather Seals". I wonder what these are? I wonder if they have any effect on the long-standing problem of mud getting on the door sills?

I noticed something in the graphic:

The second stage shows two "Underdoor Weather Seals". I wonder what these are? I wonder if they have any effect on the long-standing problem of mud getting on the door sills?

Sounds like it! Man do we need that here in VT. What with dirt roads and snow...
Underdoor weather seals to keep debris from building up are also included in the 2nd Stage Kit.