Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a call back from tesla today. And an individual email that the deposit has been received, but the update of the page will take till end of the week, due to volume of reservations.

Hard to believe an IT company can't handle incoming payments in volume.

I am very happy about the reassurance I got. It is difficult for me to wire transfer non trivial amounts of money not having an invoice or similar documents in hand (I used to work as a tax accountant).

Reactions: GSP and gigglehertz
I don't know all the details, but Lotus was making things a lot by hand, and not in the high speed mass production game.
They still are hand made, with no robots at all in the plant. The Elise and Exige go down the same line, the Evora down a separate one.

The mats in my car have "Handmade in England" embroidered into them, which is quite neat. (Though I suspect in part aimed for the Japanese market, where Lotus were well on their "Britishness").

Having done the Lotus factory tour, it's nice to see such passion amongst the employees, and I have to say my most current one (a 2015) it does show through in the fit and finish. The paint work and trimming are stunning. (But then the prices are creeping up with the highest spec Exige now costing >£100k)

From what I could tell they worked a contract with Tesla for some number of gliders over time, and then extended it slightly near the end.
And there was the whole situation with the Lotus airbags being an old style only sellable by a low volume manufacturer under some exemption and Tesla was running into those regulations so had to stop selling them because they no longer qualified for that exemption.

It is a bit of a shame they didn't build a few more for Europe, where even to this day the Elise is still sold and that style of airbags are still allowable. Lotus have had to add traction and stability controls, but that was done by going to Bosch and buying such a system off the shelf.

Will be interesting to see what Lotus themselves do under Geely ownership. There might be some space under the Polestar brand to bring back something electric on the back of the next gen Elise tub. It might fit in more under the "Sportscar" than "Hypercar" bracket I'd be looking for. (As much for applicability as affordability.)

I guess even if Tesla don't bring the car to market, it's good at least we can imagine others filling in the gaps, something I can't of imagined 5 years ago!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and TEG

I, for one, really would not call Tesla and Information Technology company.

That's like calling Exxon/Mobil a Disaster Recovery company.

Tesla makes cars, batteries, energy products, and as a result, needs to write software to run those things. But IT has never been their core mission nor their strong suit.

Thanks for your replies, I didn’t realize that. It’s really kind of mind boggling: you all went to the Tesla Semi unveil event thinking you were going to see a cool new commercial truck, which of course you did, but then moments after Elon closed the presentation by saying “Thank you all for coming” (or something to that effect) you and the rest of us watching online were shocked to see the new Roadster roll out of the Semi and you immediately spent $5K to make a reservation and get a test ride! Only Tesla could pull that off. :cool:
Yes, you had to put down the initial $5000 deposit via credit card to get a test drive in the Roadster.
Word is that the Tesla staff were telling people it wasn't refundable (it was), just to cut down on the number of people pulling that trick. It's a headache for them to process the cancellation paperwork.

Oh, yes they have. They raised the price of the original Roadster after taking deposits and figuring out that they couldn't make the cars for what they were charging, and the people who had put down money wound up paying a higher price than they were promised or not getting their cars. There was quite the fight and general unhappiness about it at the time.
Yeah, that was me. I backed out when the price went up.

Reactions: davidc18
I haven't received a confirmation email yet. For those of you who did, when you did initially reserve and when did you send your wire?
I ordered the first day (friday), sent the wire on monday and tuesday thereafter. I have a limit on the amount of Euro I can wire on a single day.

After I called them (yesterday), they explained the reason for the holdup (too many orders to process), sent me an individual email acknowledging the receipt of the money.

Mytesla still says "awaiting deposit".

They said they would fix the website by the end of this week.

We ordered ours the day after the event (Friday) and sent the wire on Monday, next business day. The online status changed to "Your reservation is confirmed" the day after, on Tuesday. It's possible that after the media covered the news, a lot more reservations came in and that somewhat slowed things down? Can't imagine how and what in this digital age.
Maybe Margaret at Tesla still tracks all deposits in Excel and she is sick this week? ;)

Got a call back from tesla today. And an individual email that the deposit has been received, but the update of the page will take till end of the week, due to volume of reservations.

Bluntly, Tesla stinks as an IT company. As a hardware engineering company -- brilliant. As a marketing company -- brilliant. As an infrastructure building company -- brilliant. As a manufacturer -- possibly the best ever. As a logistics company -- pretty good.

But a lot of IT is actually a sort of communications, and communications is their consistent weak point.

I think of IT as keeping their internal computer and network systems running... Not about external communications. There are communications, PR, IR, sales, marketing, support and other departments that are messaging customers (& prospects), but not usually IT.

Tesla could be looked at as a cloud of 200,000 or so nodes, each made up of multiple processors which are all controllable and reprogramable remotely. Sound ITish to me.

Edit: plus service centers/ galleries (assuming they do their own infrastructure)

Why would I want to purchase an early model? Those who purchased a signature or early model s are unable to upgrade to the latest series of options. It seems a waste of money buying early when you have no idea what improvements will be coming that you will not be privy to!

Reactions: smac
I suppose we are off topic here, but do you think IT would handle all the communications with the vehicles? I would think maybe that could be something done by engineering rather than IT, but just guessing.

Why would I want to purchase an early model? Those who purchased a signature or early model s are unable to upgrade to the latest series of options. It seems a waste of money buying early when you have no idea what improvements will be coming that you will not be privy to!
Same philosophy would apply to later models too, not just the early ones. There is no point in time where Tesla has been "done" with a model and there were no later improvements, except the 2.5 Roadsters. So if you want to wait for fear that there could be a better version later, then you would never get one. I've got an early model of each of the Teslas, and no regrets, but lots of happy miles driven.