Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadsters not selling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interestingly I've seen a decent number of roadsters for sale that don't seem to be selling ? I haven't spent much time researching this - just my observation. Anyone else notice this? Maybe with the MX and upcoming M3 there is less interest? Roadster styling and ride is still totally cool!!

Roadsters aren't the same as Model S / X, they aren't going to sell to a broad audience. They are small 2-seat sports cars with negligible storage and extreme performance. The Elise on which it started life sold in the hundreds per year, compared to 50,000+ that the Model S/X are selling, and Tesla only made 2,450 Roadsters over less than 4 years. Anyway, my point in all of this is that it's a specific and particular buyer who wants to buy a Roadster.

But the real reason is that it's been a long winter and a cold spring, and with the warm weather, the Roadster sales will pick up dramatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Galve2000
Tesla only made 2,450 Roadsters for the US market over less than 4 years. Anyway, my point in all of this is that it's a specific and particular buyer who wants to buy a Roadster.
Agree that the market for the Roadster is a tiny one. The Roadster remains a desirable car for a very specific and limited market. Some of those for sale recently have been priced on the high side. They will sell, eventually.

Disagree that "Tesla only made 2,450 Roadsters for the US market". That is approximately the total number made. Only about 1,400 were sold in the US. The rest were exported, primarily to Europe.

Reactions: Jaff
Quality issues and unrefined ride make this a car solely for enthusiasts ok with significant repair costs.

I don't have any quality issues with mine, I enjoy my ride and have dialed it in better than any car I've owned. And I have no had any major nor any repair costs! You're talking to a Roadster owner who's put 60k on his car and owned it for over 4 years. Best car I've ever had.

Do you have you ever owned a Roadster to put more credit to your comment?

My Roadster is my primary commuter. No way would I want some boat of a 4-door for my commute, having a nimble car that's very responsive and quick is key to getting me to work and home safe. Also I enjoy either putting on a clear top, putting on a hard top, putting on a mesh top, soft top, or going top-less. I wouldn't know what I'd do without being able to go topless in an electric car, you're missing the world. I love going topless going to work, coming home, driving up the pacific highway coastline and through the redwoods. No way close can you do that or experience it the same way in a Model S, X, or 3.

By the way, I didn't by my Roadster as an enthusiast that you're labeling as the only ones who buy these cars, I bought it as an EV enthusiast who wanted the best electric car for doing my work commute.

Last edited:
Quality issues and unrefined ride make this a car solely for enthusiasts ok with significant repair costs.
Wiztecy and Doug responded in similar manners to what I would have said. 63k miles here (50k of them are mine) and it is my daily driver (including through the Wisconsin winters). I used to commute about 120 miles round trip, now I only have 55 miles.

No significant repairs or complaints - I grin every day I get to drive this phenomenal machine.

Disagree. My Roadster is my daily driver and I've put 17K miles on it in less than 2 years.

The "Ride" is appropriate for what the car is intended to be: a sports car that lets the driver be in touch with the road surface, not float over it.

Reactions: Jaff and hcsharp
I would disagree, as have the others. I have over 50K in mine over 5 years (minus 2 summers when I was deployed or had the car in the body shop for a couple months after someone forgot to set a parking break on a Kubota, which rolled down hill and hit my parked car), which is my daily driver, nearly every day, all year long and even through the Vermont winters (just gotta put on the snow tires!) I have only had one major mechanical repair (not counting the Kubota incident). It is a wonderful car!

Piling in on the disagree.

I'd like to pile on as well to say this is the most unsubstantiated post I've seen here in a while.

I did have to replace the battery coolant pump last year. And I did once have the clip that holds the emergency brake cable go out about two years ago.

But for an 8 year old car, I'd hardly call that a lot of maintenance. I'd say it's just the opposite. It's been relatively maintenance free given its age.

Reactions: dhrivnak and Jaff
I'm a new Roadster owner who spent the last few months shopping (took delivery of RS #853 yesterday!), and I did not have the impression during that research period that desirable Roadsters were lingering on the market for long. I feel very fortunate to have found a car I wanted for under $70k, and with less than 3000 miles on it to boot. In fact, I missed out on a couple of 2.5s in March and April because I didn't move fast enough!

Reactions: Jaff and wiztecy
I'm a new Roadster owner who spent the last few months shopping (took delivery of RS #853 yesterday!), and I did not have the impression during that research period that desirable Roadsters were lingering on the market for long. I feel very fortunate to have found a car I wanted for under $70k, and with less than 3000 miles on it to boot. In fact, I missed out on a couple of 2.5s in March and April because I didn't move fast enough!
Congrats on your new Roadster! Welcome to the forums:)

Reactions: Jaff
Having bought a Roadster within the past month, I'll share my experience.

Extensive searching found only 21 cars for sale in the United States (fewer now). I wanted to spend no more than 65K total (car, tax, transport, registration, etc), which ruled out most 2.5s and Sport models (and a 3.0 at $125K+).

Of the 10-15 left, a couple were on consignment with disinterested agents - "Is your Roadster still available?" "Yes" "Can you tell me about it?" "Not really" "Okay... well I'm interested and am ready to move forward if everything checks out" "Call my main office number and they'll put you in touch with the owner". No thanks. Others were listed but not actually available (Shift.com). Some were iffy - 2.5 bumper on a 1.5 with no back story... was it an upgrade or a "repair"? need to know these things. A Validation Prototype was (and still is) listed, but the seller seemed to know nothing about the car. Claimed it had a 2-speed transmission and 244 mile range, and was very vague when answering questions. Didn't feel right.

Now we're down to 3-5 potential cars. Signature #83 (Very Orange) was my first pick and the seller was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, I was a few days too late. Someone else got a great deal. It had only been listed for a few weeks. The car I finally decided on was at a private dealership in a nearby city. They were happy to give me a virtual tour of the car via Facetime and find answers to any questions I had. This car also had only been listed for a few weeks and supposedly received a lot of interest.

As far as the newer models reducing interest in the Roadster... I stood in line for the Model 3 and intend to pick up a Model S for the family when our Volt becomes too small. For me, this is the perfect commuter/fun car. Most people (outside of the EV community) don't even know that Tesla made it. Many I've spoken with thought it was "the new Tesla" and are surprised to learn that it's 8 years old.