Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock off a Truck put a BIG Stsar in my Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
How much does it cost to install a replacement windshield (ballpark) in a model S anyway?

And so I have to take it to a Service Center, or can any windshield place do it (like Safelite, for example)?

Oops! Typo in the title. Sorry 'bout that...

I think in most states it's a law that the insurance must pay for replacement without any deductible. Check yours. I would rather have Tesla do it than someone else. Depending on your model, remember there's sensitive stuff in the rear view mirror housing that they will need to deal with in replacing the windshield.

I also was greeted by a rock to the windshield while driving through Charlotte in October. :( Per Jrogville's reply above, I had the windshield replaced at the West Palm Beach SC. Cost was $1,306, which was fully covered by insurance as my Model S was less than 1 year-old. Please note that the new windshield had a slight rattle/squeak just to the left of the rear view mirror, so I went back to the SC and they added some insulation behind the headliner. All good now. Wishing you the best!

I also was greeted by a rock to the windshield while driving through Charlotte in October. :( Per Jrogville's reply above, I had the windshield replaced at the West Palm Beach SC. Cost was $1,306, which was fully covered by insurance as my Model S was less than 1 year-old. Please note that the new windshield had a slight rattle/squeak just to the left of the rear view mirror, so I went back to the SC and they added some insulation behind the headliner. All good now. Wishing you the best!

Is there some sort of 1 year coverage on the windshield from Tesla or was that covered by your insurance company?

Thanks. Going to cost $1600+. I'll get it done at the Charlotte SC this week, along with annual servicing.

Tesla windshields seem rather fragile. My Ram has taken much more severe impacts and only chipped the glass a tiny bit.

Bigger than a silver dollar. Repair shop said they couldn't do it.

Just talked to the Charlotte Service Center to confirm an appointment for replacement. After making arrangements to get a day off work to go up there, I'm told they need to keep the car overnight. What?? No indication of this in my conversation with the other service writer, and nothing about it in the quote she sent me for the work. Would have been helpful to know that up front, so I could make other plans.

Not a big deal, but certainly a bit annoying...