Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof glass cracked on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just accepted delivery of my 2022 MYP (F523xxx - new door panels, no cargo cover)

Before I drove it off, I noticed the roof glass was cracked. I also noticed that the lift gate glass is protruding near the top as well. The delivery center is going to “undeliver” the car and get the roof glass replaced, and look into the liftgate glass as well.

I tried to push for a new VIN, but they mentioned that since I skipped over my initial delivery a month ago, they can’t assign a new VIN- otherwise it’ll cancel the order and I’ll lose my locked in price. So I have no choice but to have the glass replaced and take delivery. The manager mentioned he’ll be on the lookout for a similar configuration if it shows up in inventory, but it’s unlikely.

What would you do in this situation? Obviously I don’t want to lose my locked in price and the loan has already funded, but I feel that it’s unfair that I have to deal with such an issue. Should I keep fighting for a new VIN?

Also— any clue if this would hit carfax?

Last edited:
They cannot “undeliver” a vehicle to you. There will be no replacement VIN.

Having glass fixed isn’t a huge deal and has nothing to do with a Carfax report. That said, they need to fix the alignment issues that caused the breaks to begin with. Good luck with that.

Reactions: brkaus and Olle
I'm curious what the term "undeliver" means then. It was mentioned to me multiple times by the manager. And he did mention the possibility of getting an inventory vehicle should one come up. I did not drive the car at all- left it in the same spot it was parked at.

When you mention alignment issues- is this something I should be concerned about for the life of the car given that they were enough to crack the glass? I didn't see a point of impact on the glass so I'm assuming it does have something to do with the build quality.

They cannot “undeliver” a vehicle to you. There will be no replacement VIN.

Having glass fixed isn’t a huge deal and has nothing to do with a Carfax report. That said, they need to fix the alignment issues that caused the breaks to begin with. Good luck with that.
When you say alignment what exactly do you mean? I was supposed to take delivery of my Model Y last week but the service center postponed it because they found a crack in the roof glass and were going to repair it.

Here's the crack for reference

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 453
When you say alignment what exactly do you mean? I was supposed to take delivery of my Model Y last week but the service center postponed it because they found a crack in the roof glass and were going to repair it.
Alignment of the panels the roof attaches to. Since they were out of spec it caused the glass to be stressed out of spec and crack once it was glued in.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
It’s a cracked piece of glass, you don’t need a new VIN. Once replaced it won’t have any long term effect on the car.
It won’t show up on a CarFax, similar to how your replacement windshields don’t end up on a CarFax.
Since you skipped over your original delivery, you put yourself in this take it or leave it situation.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Just accepted delivery of my 2022 MYP (F523xxx - new door panels, no cargo cover)

Before I drove it off, I noticed the roof glass was cracked. I also noticed that the lift gate glass is protruding near the top as well. The delivery center is going to “undeliver” the car and get the roof glass replaced, and look into the liftgate glass as well.

I tried to push for a new VIN, but they mentioned that since I skipped over my initial delivery a month ago, they can’t assign a new VIN- otherwise it’ll cancel the order and I’ll lose my locked in price. So I have no choice but to have the glass replaced and take delivery. The manager mentioned he’ll be on the lookout for a similar configuration if it shows up in inventory, but it’s unlikely.

What would you do in this situation? Obviously I don’t want to lose my locked in price and the loan has already funded, but I feel that it’s unfair that I have to deal with such an issue. Should I keep fighting for a new VIN?

Also— any clue if this would hit carfax?
These are easy fixes. Don’t worry about it. Repairs do not get reported to carfax.

It’s a cracked piece of glass, you don’t need a new VIN. Once replaced it won’t have any long term effect on the car.
It won’t show up on a CarFax, similar to how your replacement windshields don’t end up on a CarFax.
Since you skipped over your original delivery, you put yourself in this take it or leave it situation.
I’d argue that replaced windshields do occasionally show up on Carfax, which is why I was worried. Doing a search on these forums brings a few results of owners seeing carfax damage reported on their brand new cars after they had taken delivery.

I’ll have this conversation with the delivery center to better understand how it will turn out and update this thread once I hear back!

I'm curious what the term "undeliver" means then. It was mentioned to me multiple times by the manager. And he did mention the possibility of getting an inventory vehicle should one come up. I did not drive the car at all- left it in the same spot it was parked at.
Perhaps the term undeliver is a Texas Tesla term/option since Tesla is not allowed to directly sell cars there unlike many other states.

Looks like vehicle access has been removed from my app. I’m seeing an EDD again with my order number and VIN, telling me to complete tasks in order to avoid delays in delivery- so it did get “undelivered”.
Bizarre. Never heard of this before. Gotta be something Texas specific or something new Tesla is doing. Welp, hope the issues are fixxed next time you see vehicle. It’s a fun car to drive.

I’d argue that replaced windshields do occasionally show up on Carfax, which is why I was worried. Doing a search on these forums brings a few results of owners seeing carfax damage reported on their brand new cars after they had taken delivery.

I’ll have this conversation with the delivery center to better understand how it will turn out and update this thread once I hear back!
Keep in mind that a replacement vehicle may have other problems that are potentially worse. Let them fix the glass and move on. You have to be realistic. No car is perfect.

You note “before you drove off” but after accepting. Based on the photo you showed are you saying you didn’t See that huge crack before even walking to the car?? I can understand not seeing a small gap etc but That seems Way to obvious.
Actually nope, I didn’t see it. I looked at every bit of the car, including inside the wheel wells and all of the panel gaps. I just didn’t think about looking at the roof. As soon as I accepted delivery and opened the door and looked up at the roof from the interior, that’s when I saw the crack.

The angle at which I took the photo makes it really obvious, but when you’re not as tall as the car it’s easy to miss!