Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof rubber sealant melting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AsP8

Jun 25, 2021
I have a 2016 Model X and the roof rubber sealant is melting. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty and Tesla wants me to pay $2,400 to replace the rubbers.

I have a 2016 Model X and the roof rubber sealant is melting. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty and Tesla wants me to pay $2,400 to replace the rubbers.
I have the same problem. I was told by Testla that this is very common and is not a worenty repair item. These cars were put together with chewing gum and loose screws.
My 2018 model x has things falling of of it almost every month, including mechanical problems with windows and seals.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I have the same problem. I was told by Testla that this is very common and is not a worenty repair item. These cars were put together with chewing gum and loose screws.
My 2018 model x has things falling of of it almost every month, including mechanical problems with windows and seals.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I changed my own glass... Easy!
I purchased my Model X and it already had the rubber seals falling apart on the top glass of the FWD.
Tesla use defective rubber that's not fit for purpose and should be replaced worldwide as they didn't put UV stabiliser/inhibitor in it.
Anyway, I found TWO pieces of this glass on a wrecked Tesla with the rubber intact and changed them myself. It was a really easy task. Just took about 30-40 minutes per side and a small dose of persuasion for the trim to be removed.
That being said, I'm still going after Tesla to replace these with new ones.

Here is a link to the how to do it thread....

I also have ESA, tesla is telling me that this is not a warranty repair item, normal wear and tear. they are quoting me ~$2400 how did you get them cover this repair under ESA?
I am not sure I have anything special I can tell you—opened a ticket complaining about the deterioration of the seals on the top panels of the FWDs and they came back and said the only fix was replacing the entire panel, would be $1,200 a side, but that ESA would cover it. I’m traveling right now, but I’ll see if I can dig up the work order.

Dropped off my 2017 X today at the service center and 5 out of 6 model X there for servicethe roof moldings were shredded or falling apart. The only one or two that were intact was either they got replaced or it was a 2022 refresh model X.

My model X is there because half of the times I wake up in the morning and go to the car for the first time my front air suspension is completely low. Once I approach the car with the key fob and get close enough to the door then I hear it air up to where it should be. For the rest of the day the suspension does maintain the level that I have preset at up. It’s only the overnight stay that causes it at times to go to super low just in the front suspension. Hopefully this is a sensor and not a major expense.

Dropped off my 2017 X today at the service center and 5 out of 6 model X there for servicethe roof moldings were shredded or falling apart. The only one or two that were intact was either they got replaced or it was a 2022 refresh model X.

My model X is there because half of the times I wake up in the morning and go to the car for the first time my front air suspension is completely low. Once I approach the car with the key fob and get close enough to the door then I hear it air up to where it should be. For the rest of the day the suspension does maintain the level that I have preset at up. It’s only the overnight stay that causes it at times to go to super low just in the front suspension. Hopefully this is a sensor and not a major expense.
Curious what the answer was to your suspension issue. I have the same issue with my Model X, though it only happens every once in a great while. Tesla Service wanted over $3700 to replace both front air suspension mechanisms. If it were a leak, it would be consistent and not so intermittent.

Curious what the answer was to your suspension issue. I have the same issue with my Model X, though it only happens every once in a great while. Tesla Service wanted over $3700 to replace both front air suspension mechanisms. If it were a leak, it would be consistent and not so intermittent.
First they tried to see it was a block part and they replacd the block but it didn’t fix the problem as the next morning the front suspension was down again. They then tried to find where the leak was and eventually they pinned down to both front struts. first tried replacing the left strut but then once the car went to deep sleep the car sagged down on the right front strut. They went ahead and replaced the front right strut and the next day after the car went to deep sleep both front struts were up like they should be. This finally corrected the problem and now I’ve had it for a week with no issues anymore. The cost was $3000 because of my extended warranty all I had to pay was my deductible. Oh by the way the block part that they tried first to see if that was the problem, since that was not the problem they removed it and refunded the price for that part since that was not the issue. They were very honest and I am very grateful forever they did. I did take 10 days to get the car back but at least now I know it’s fixed and no more issues with the front suspension. I hope this helps you.

Had same issue of worn out rubber seals on my 2018 Model X; Just paid Tesla $2500 to replace the two glass panels. They don't replace the rubber itself, but have to replace the entire glass panels. Terrible waste and costly. Now even the new panels, the rubber is not completely covering the gaps. Terrible design Tesla and poor customer service, making your loyal customers pay for your design defects. Hopefully water won't seep in the Seattle rain.

First they tried to see it was a block part and they replacd the block but it didn’t fix the problem as the next morning the front suspension was down again. They then tried to find where the leak was and eventually they pinned down to both front struts. first tried replacing the left strut but then once the car went to deep sleep the car sagged down on the right front strut. They went ahead and replaced the front right strut and the next day after the car went to deep sleep both front struts were up like they should be. This finally corrected the problem and now I’ve had it for a week with no issues anymore. The cost was $3000 because of my extended warranty all I had to pay was my deductible. Oh by the way the block part that they tried first to see if that was the problem, since that was not the problem they removed it and refunded the price for that part since that was not the issue. They were very honest and I am very grateful forever they did. I did take 10 days to get the car back but at least now I know it’s fixed and no more issues with the front suspension. I hope this helps you.
Thanks for the info! That will help a lot in diagnosing the issue.