TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rubber stoppers falling off inside of trunk

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by we7313, Jun 12, 2013.

1. we7313

we7313 Member

I use the trunk a few times a time and have noticed that the rubber covers (stoppers) are falling off onto the ground.
    I have noticed it a few times and just slid them back on, but now have already lost one.
    Has anyone else had this happen? Know how I could get them replaced?
    Stopper.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

They just protect/cover the screws. Other than that they are non functional.

However, I have lost two already myself.

3. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

You're lucky you have stoppers. My car never seemed to have them.

4. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Hmmm, it might make sense to glue them on with something like rubber cement (not too strong but stronger than friction).

5. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

I'm missing that same rubber nubby on the opposite side of the trunk, and yes, they fall off easily. I tried to get another one from the SC when I was there to fix the creaking pano roof but they didn't have any lying around. Minor annoyance, and good suggestion on the rubber cement by PhilBa :cool:

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

I'm missing 1 as well. Probably get rubbed off when drying the rear hatch lid. Will e-mail ownership and get a few and then maybe try some silicone caulk to stick them back on.

7. jcadman22

jcadman22 MD: DRK NRG

I will have to check my car for these now. Somewhat related, there's no chance that these would be related to the *persistent* moisture in the back up lights, is it??

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I found one of those on my garage floor the other day, and didn't know what it was or where it came from. Gotta check my trunk now!

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

#9 tdelta1000, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    Not a big deal but if it means that much here's a link.

rubber-bumpers

On a serious note the bumpers are a safety item when the rear hatch is open.

10. JPP

JPP Active Member

tdelta--not the same part in your link as on the vehicle. FWIW I e-mailed Ownership and asked them to snail mail me a few to reinstall.

11. scott2613

scott2613 Member

Try a small dab of RTV (silicone adhesive) on the tip of the exposed stud. Push the rubber cap back on after making sure it's clean and dry inside. It will work similar to rubber adhesive but be less of a mess if they need to be removed in the future. My vehicle arrives next week, might have to try my own remedy.