TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by anxman, Jan 27, 2015.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Hahaha nice.

2. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Since they are traction limited on the lower speeds, that's more or less the only thing they could do the make the car faster (without major hardware changes like street-slicks.) Still, it requires the battery pack, inverters, and motors to accept higher loads than we've seen demonstrated (I don't think anyone outside of Tesla knows what the actual limits of those parts are...)Walter

3. Bill D

Bill D Member

".. 137 users browsing this thread..." - This number speaks for itself. - Tesla don't need no stinkin' focus groups.

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

I've heard the traction limited argument before but not so sure it applies to the PD. My P+ would leave "bar code" type black marks on the road following a hard launch and you could hear the rears hunting for grip. My PD leaves NOTHING, zip, nada...... You can chalk that up to superior traction control but then that control would have to be predictive in nature as slip based TC requires slip which typically leaves marks. This is especially the case when you consider that side wall wind up must be factored in requiring more slip margin before triggering a loss of traction event.

I've not seen the slip log data from the PD so I have no way to prove this but my gut tells me there is more traction than torque. Allowing the battery draw to continue for a little bit longer (increasing the area under the torque curve) makes the most sense. I have found my PD a little unimpressive once rolling. This is the more natural place to use the car as launching from a dead stop is not a day to day thing for me. Having that same current draw capability from 30-60 would be very nice and would affect the feel of the car on a daily basis.

5. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

I agree. Improving 30-60 vs 0-60 would have more of an impact for me. I'll take 0-60 in 2.8, don't get me wrong, but if I had a choice as to where tesla invested its resources, I'd take autopilot features, enhancements to TACC, and 30-60 over 0-60.

6. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

In addition to 30-60, for highway passing maneuvers, the 60-80 is much less impressive than many other comparable cars (eg:Mercedes e63 amg)

7. Bill D

Bill D Member

#47 Bill D, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    AWD opens up some interesting possibilities for predictive traction control. The front wheel TC could be "slip based" as you describe and it could tell the rear wheel TC how hard to push without slip. It's conveinient that the rear tires progress to the exact spots on the road where the front wheel TC would be continually conducting its "testing". Toss in the dynamics of weight transfer and this would be a interesting software exercise.

This would be analogous to the crew chief making clutch adjustments based on the traction achieved by the previous fuel dragster to run. Also, maybe the front tires laying down some rubber would help the rear tires "stick" better - Analogous to backing up a fuel dragster directly onto its fresh burnout tracks. Maybe some day those sub-one second 60 foot times won't be limited to fuel dragsters.

Maybe this rumored 2.8 second 0-60 firmware is purely traction control.

8. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Member

Not true, unless you happen to be on the very short list for a 7 figure LaFerrari. OTOH, BMW and Corvette have offered such programs for years.

9. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Wow, 2.8 is beyond pretty amazing hole shot performance!

As you all know, TM has had the following P85D performance upgrade promise at the very bottom of the S Design Studio...
    P85D Top Speed Limited 2014-12-26.jpg

This promise relates to top end speed. Wonder when and how the upgrade will manifest?

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

I don't buy it. But hey, if it's true that's cool. I just don't believe it.

11. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

Along the lines of TC limiting, the PD did no better at the drag strip on a freshly prep'd track then It does on good city streets. Normally, a good prep job is worth a good bit of launch and early traction for traction limited cars.

12. tezzla

tezzla Member

I'm with AmpedRealtor (of course, I didn't believe the 3.2 guesses before the D was unveiled either)

13. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I, too, am pretty skeptical that we'll see this. I a do not doubt that the capability exists to make it happen though.

14. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Member

What 60 ft times did you manage? Very curious.

15. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

#55 rogbmw, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Warp Drive - Engage

16. mdevp

mdevp Member

170 users on one thread? Got to be a recent record.

17. Bill D

Bill D Member

Your observation here and your observation earlier that there's not the slightest tire spin with your P85D, both point to it being likely that the P85D's traction control is not currently pushing the limits of traction. That said, a future reduction of 0-60 times may be coming via improvements in the traction control software.

18. Notacarguy

Notacarguy Member

Can they do anything for the other models like the S60?

19. pbsis

pbsis Member

If there is an increase I bet you it happens from the 30mph+ mark. The car loses some of its drive near that point. 0-30 is already extremely fast. I dont know how much more we can expect in that area.

20. 1051

1051 Member