Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is real, I imagine that it would imagine that a "new insane" mode would improve the 30-60 range.In other words, due to higher peak power the flat torque range could be maintained up to a higher speed.
newinsanekjaec.png
(red and blue are dragtimes.com V-Box measurements, yellow is my edit.)
Since they are traction limited on the lower speeds, that's more or less the only thing they could do the make the car faster (without major hardware changes like street-slicks.) Still, it requires the battery pack, inverters, and motors to accept higher loads than we've seen demonstrated (I don't think anyone outside of Tesla knows what the actual limits of those parts are...)Walter

I've heard the traction limited argument before but not so sure it applies to the PD. My P+ would leave "bar code" type black marks on the road following a hard launch and you could hear the rears hunting for grip. My PD leaves NOTHING, zip, nada...... You can chalk that up to superior traction control but then that control would have to be predictive in nature as slip based TC requires slip which typically leaves marks. This is especially the case when you consider that side wall wind up must be factored in requiring more slip margin before triggering a loss of traction event.

I've not seen the slip log data from the PD so I have no way to prove this but my gut tells me there is more traction than torque. Allowing the battery draw to continue for a little bit longer (increasing the area under the torque curve) makes the most sense. I have found my PD a little unimpressive once rolling. This is the more natural place to use the car as launching from a dead stop is not a day to day thing for me. Having that same current draw capability from 30-60 would be very nice and would affect the feel of the car on a daily basis.

I've heard the traction limited argument before but not so sure it applies to the PD. My P+ would leave "bar code" type black marks on the road following a hard launch and you could hear the rears hunting for grip. My PD leaves NOTHING, zip, nada...... You can chalk that up to superior traction control but then that control would have to be predictive in nature as slip based TC requires slip which typically leaves marks. This is especially the case when you consider that side wall wind up must be factored in requiring more slip margin before triggering a loss of traction event.

I've not seen the slip log data from the PD so I have no way to prove this but my gut tells me there is more traction than torque. Allowing the battery draw to continue for a little bit longer (increasing the area under the torque curve) makes the most sense. I have found my PD a little unimpressive once rolling. This is the more natural place to use the car as launching from a dead stop is not a day to day thing for me. Having that same current draw capability from 30-60 would be very nice and would affect the feel of the car on a daily basis.

I agree. Improving 30-60 vs 0-60 would have more of an impact for me. I'll take 0-60 in 2.8, don't get me wrong, but if I had a choice as to where tesla invested its resources, I'd take autopilot features, enhancements to TACC, and 30-60 over 0-60.

I agree. Improving 30-60 vs 0-60 would have more of an impact for me. I'll take 0-60 in 2.8, don't get me wrong, but if I had a choice as to where tesla invested its resources, I'd take autopilot features, enhancements to TACC, and 30-60 over 0-60.

In addition to 30-60, for highway passing maneuvers, the 60-80 is much less impressive than many other comparable cars (eg:Mercedes e63 amg)

...... You can chalk that up to superior traction control but then that control would have to be predictive in nature as slip based TC requires slip which typically leaves marks. This is especially the case when you consider that side wall wind up must be factored in requiring more slip margin before triggering a loss of traction event.
AWD opens up some interesting possibilities for predictive traction control. The front wheel TC could be "slip based" as you describe and it could tell the rear wheel TC how hard to push without slip. It's conveinient that the rear tires progress to the exact spots on the road where the front wheel TC would be continually conducting its "testing". Toss in the dynamics of weight transfer and this would be a interesting software exercise.

This would be analogous to the crew chief making clutch adjustments based on the traction achieved by the previous fuel dragster to run. Also, maybe the front tires laying down some rubber would help the rear tires "stick" better - Analogous to backing up a fuel dragster directly onto its fresh burnout tracks. Maybe some day those sub-one second 60 foot times won't be limited to fuel dragsters.

Maybe this rumored 2.8 second 0-60 firmware is purely traction control.

Last edited:
Along the lines of TC limiting, the PD did no better at the drag strip on a freshly prep'd track then It does on good city streets. Normally, a good prep job is worth a good bit of launch and early traction for traction limited cars.
Your observation here and your observation earlier that there's not the slightest tire spin with your P85D, both point to it being likely that the P85D's traction control is not currently pushing the limits of traction. That said, a future reduction of 0-60 times may be coming via improvements in the traction control software.