TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rumor: P85D firmware update to increase 0-60 performance to 2.8s

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by anxman, Jan 27, 2015.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

There's a Sport mode today??? Has anyone ever used it?

2. Ames

Ames Member

I think Ludicrous mode needs an "Are you sure?" message, followed by another "Get serious! Are you really sure?"...that would make Insane mode comfortably more accessible...

3. ExhilR8

ExhilR8 Member

LOL!

I heard this rumor on October 10th, when I ordered my P85D. Except the Tesla rep said that he saw long strings of 0-60 runs between 2.7 and 2.75 seconds. Based on the inverter readings from my current P85D, I think this has to be true. My inverter gauge has never made it all the way up to 480kW at full throttle, and the promised 691 hp cannot be achieved until the inverters are providing 515 kW.

There may be a number of reasons Tesla has been holding back the power, including collecting data for risk management purposes. I think it's time to see what this beast can really do. Release the hounds!

4. winehillranch

winehillranch Member

I should have thought of that. bwahahaha my husband will never notice, and he doesn't drive it anyway! He loves his '92 diesel MBZ.

5. spentan

spentan Active Member

subscribing to this thread.

I've already made most people squeal with the current 0-60. Not sure whats gonna happen if it goes any faster :D

6. tcampos

tcampos Member

Did your sources say that Tesla will make this firmware available? or just that it's theoretically possible?

7. anxman

anxman Member

I am expecting it to be released to customers but I haven't heard it for sure.

8. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Just to add some credibility to this rumor, I have also heard from at least two Tesla employees that the P85D has done 2.8 second 0-60 times before summer of last year. One of them even got a chance to ride in it.

9. actionspa

actionspa Member

:wink: That's Genius!

10. MartinAustin

MartinAustin I Do Not Read Electrek

Don't forget, this is the powertrain from the Model X. Perhaps it is possible when the car has a 110kWh battery attached. More current out of the battery => more power.

11. Pontus

Pontus Member

A bit OT but if this is true would it then be possible to boost the S85D too?

12. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

Lol. This got me laughing up loud at the subway station. I am inside the train now and people still look weird at me. :tongue:

13. wts13

wts13 Member

If this transpires, the headlines will be incredible for two reason:

-2.8s is just ludicrous and truly puts the P85D in the highest echelon of performance vehicles
    -This performance increase was delievered via an over the air software update

14. Twoeagle

Twoeagle Member

And the P85 which I understand has the exact same Drive-unit as the P85D? :biggrin:

15. frosken

frosken Member

I've also heard the 2.8 second rumor, but I don't think we will see it in production vehicles. My guess is 2.8 seconds was done when testing the maximum performance.

Kinda like with ordinary ICE cars. You can easily gain 10%-20% more HP than stock by simply tuning the computer controlling pressure, injection and more, but it comes at a cost of reliability and durability.

And after the whole drive unit ordeal… I just don't see it happening.

16. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

With great power, comes great electric bill.

17. Ames

Ames Member

Maybe they will limit Ludicrous mode like they do with Launch Control on the Nissan GT-R...

18. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Or establish a "Ludicrous club" where a buyer needs to enlist into "drivers education course" and prove that he can handle the beast.
    Same as if you go and buy a new ferrari, you get some official track time and training.
    Than you are issued your 'personal' pin that unlocks that power
    :)

Imagine the publicity.

19. ScepticMatt

ScepticMatt Member

#39 ScepticMatt, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    If this is real, I imagine that it a "new insane" mode would improve the 30-60 mph range.
    In other words, due to higher peak power the flat torque range could be maintained up to a higher speed.

newinsanekjaec.png
    (red and blue are dragtimes.com V-Box measurements, yellow is my edit.)

20. 110110

110110 New Member

New Button Options: Sport | Insane | Warp

:biggrin: