Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Significant Engineering Issues with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article doesn't say anything about engineering or manufacturing issues with the onboard charger. What am I missing?
He has said in another post that someone from Tesla has informed him of manufacturing issues with the onboard charger... at least that was months ago. I don't know if anything has changed.

Some of his previous comments have been pretty accurate.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
He has said in another post that someone from Tesla has informed him of manufacturing issues with the onboard charger... at least that was months ago. I don't know if anything has changed.

Since this thread was last updated back in April, I thought perhaps today's post was an update on the situation. Since there was no commentary with the post, I dove into the article looking for a mention.

Wait, which ones were accurate? Having perused the thread I haven't read any. Just a lot of innuendo, and references by some people to Eds.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Beginning the end of this month .... I wish we could group all of the rumor threads, speculation polls, and pre-production opinions and set them aside .... the production M3 has not hit the road yet and we are confronted with negative rumors, and meaningless polls. So many pre-production threads create high expectations. OTOH, some create doubt, and apprehension.

How about we now concentrate our threads on actual owner experiences, announced Tesla options, vehicle availability in various markets, fit & finish, performance, comfort and maintenance of actual production vehicles.

But it's a slower ramp of a ramped up ramp.

Originally the Model 3 wasn't supposed to come out until next year.

What's relevant is what we knew at each point in time and did OP offer us new insight. So obviously we must compare OP's post to what we otherwise knew (or thought we knew) in April, 2017 when he posted his claims. At that time there was calculations of 80,000 Model 3 by the end of the year 2017.

Here's basically what we knew, based on Elon and the OP, @ZeApelido, comments:

1) February 27th, 2017:

Elon Musk: "“So when we place parts orders with our suppliers, we’ve told them 1000 a week in July, 2000 a week in August, and 4000 a week in September. These are parts orders. Then the parts need to arrive, and they need to be turned into a car and the car needs to be delivered to customers."

Tesla Model 3: perfect production execution means around 80,000 vehicles in 2017

2) April 10th, 2017:

@ZeApelido on TMC: "More positive news is that the internal goal is still July to begin production, although at a lower rate that stated elsewhere (<100 / wk)."

[Rumor] Significant Engineering Issues with Model 3

3) July 3rd, 2017:

Elon Musk: "Handover party for first 30 customer Model 3's on the 28th! Production grows exponentially, so Aug should be 100 cars and Sept above 1500."

Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk updates his guidance on production ramp up and deliveries

Basically we went from an optimal 1000 a July week (April), to less than 10 a July week (July). Between those announcements @ZeApelido told us less than 100 a July week (April). If anything, he was an optimistic shill for TSLA longs he claims to be one of... ;) But jest aside, in any case OPs message fits this timeline. It fits that Tesla in April would have planned less than 100, given the reality that has unfolded.

So to me it seems @ZeApelido had, in April, access to real insight into Tesla's Model 3 ramp-up planning and shared accordingly. While I can't confirm this, it is my educated opinion as a long-time Tesla follower. IMO all the people who called him a short should be, once again, ashamed.

Last edited:

Frankly, given the constant changes Tesla has been doing with the on-board chargers even in the past - and even at this time with Model S/X - it would not surprise me at all if the charger is one of the problematic compontents.

It would seem to me Tesla has had supply issues with that in the past as well and thus has resorterd to inventory managing through product changes (which charger do you get and when).

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Frankly, given the constant changes Tesla has been doing with the on-board chargers even in the past - and even at this time with Model S/X - it would not surprise me at all if the charger is one of the problematic compontents.

It would seem to me Tesla has had supply issues with that in the past as well and thus has resorterd to inventory managing through product changes (which charger do you get and when).
It would surprise me if there are still issues today and if it hasn't been addressed in the past few months.

To me, 48A is perfectly understandable. Model 3 is a smaller, lighter, lower drag coefficient, lower frontal area, smaller battery pack vehicle. It does not need as much power to charge. I don't read it as a QC/supply problem at all.

A ~50kWh pack needs the exact same energy to charge all the way as a 75-100kWh pack?

Both from a total time perspective, and a distance per unit time perspective, a Model 3 doesn't need as powerful of a charger as a Model S or X.

A 75 kWh Model 3 pack needs the same energy to charge as a 75 kWh Model S pack.

The base Model 3 is not going to have a 75kWh pack. They may at some point offer a larger pack variant, but it will almost certainly ship with the same max-current onboard charging as the base Model 3, whose pack will be in the ballpark of 50kWh, maybe a little more. Just like 100kWh Model Ss ship with the same max-current onboard charging as 75kWh ones.

The base Model 3 is not going to have a 75kWh pack. They may at some point offer a larger pack variant, but it will almost certainly ship with the same max-current onboard charging as the base Model 3, whose pack will be in the ballpark of 50kWh, maybe a little more.
I agree, we will likely get the same charger for both battery pack model 3s However, we know for certain that there will be at least two battery packs. One or both will compete with the Bolt on range. Rumors are saying the larger of the two packs will be available first.

Just like 100kWh Model Ss ship with the same max-current onboard charging as 75kWh ones.
This is actually not the case. The charger on the 100 kWh model is provides more power with 72 Amps and therefore faster charging than the 75 kWh's 48 amp charger.

Here's basically what we knew, based on Elon and the OP, @ZeApelido, comments:

1) February 27th, 2017:

Elon Musk: "“So when we place parts orders with our suppliers, we’ve told them 1000 a week in July, 2000 a week in August, and 4000 a week in September. These are parts orders. Then the parts need to arrive, and they need to be turned into a car and the car needs to be delivered to customers."

I might be missing something here as I haven't read the entire thread, but surely that original quote referred to ORDERS being placed not CARS being produced?

In any case, I echo what's being said by some here. We've only got a few more days to wait until we know a lot more about the final specs. and production capacity so why not just have a coffee and wait to hear the facts?

Reactions: ikjadoon