Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

running lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just placed my order for the MS 60 yesterday. The only thing I would want from the tech package is the running lights, but I'm not going to pay $3750 for this feature. My questions is directed to those who don't have the tech package (is there anyone??): Once you set the headlights to "ON" is this setting saved or do you have to put the headlights ON every time you start the car? I know there's an "AUTO" mode and I'm guessing this means the lights will be OFF during the day. If the car reverts to AUTO when it's shut off then my next question is where is the light sensor? I'm guessing it will be easy to find and I should stop by the store to make sure that I will have access to covering the sensor with a high tech piece of electrical tape. I don't want to have to remember to turn on the headlights every time I get in the car and lights on during the day is a safety requirement for me.

In my opinion, the tech package includes all the items that you'd expect in a car of this class. The reason it's not in the base price is because originally Tesla was determined to keep the base price at $50K, so they took those items out.

I used to be a headlights always on guy (and still am in any other car). However, the DRLs in the Model S are so bright that the headlights don't really add to your visibility (unlike some DRLs which are more-or-less invisible). I just leave mine on auto and don't worry about it.

I realize this doesn't answer your question, sorry.

Thanks anyway. Too bad the base price isn't at $50K. I'm very excited about getting this car nevertheless!

BTW, I apparently don't have permission to add a signature or avatar. I'm guessing you might be a moderator or at least know when/if I will be able to do this.

My S doesn't have a tech package but when i bought my car the tech package included the DRL. All i wanted in the tech package was the navigation so I passed on it.

If you wanted your lights set to on you would have to toggle the switch to on everytime you turned on the car or like you suggested could try and cover the sensor. I don'tb know where that is though.