Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rural Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With more cars out there, Ranger visits should become a lot less expensive because they won't be going just to service one car and because the Ranger will be located close by. If reasonable service prices don't happen, I can see a lot of people jumping ship at the next rollout due to increased competition from other manufacturers. I'd sure hate to see that happen but one of the big reasons I'm jumping ship from Toyota is the horrible service that the dealers provide.

If I were Tesla, I'd have service included throughout the warranty period and then a fixed price for some years worth of bumper to bumper service (not including the battery or tires). For example, one year service $600, two years $1100, five years $2200. Using this model, the vehicle would have to remain under service throughout its life. That is you couldn't skip a year or two without having an inspection and paying for any repairs needed to bring it up to "service agreement" standards. I'd expect it would cost about $5000+parts to get back into the program.

Last edited:
The problem is, though, that those who have lived with gas cars all their lives don't see that the expense is WAY more often.

I beg to differ on this point. I have now owned 6 ICE cars that have all passed 100,000 miles and I never had a repair over $100. I am mechanically inclined and have performed 90% of all servicing on my vehicles as I find it easier and faster to change oil/transmission fluid in my garage on my own time than taking it to a dealer and juggling rides. Fortunately repairs have been minor rarely going over 4 hours. BUT I have been able to get a shop manual for all of my cars. Not so for the Roadster. So for me I have spent more on Roadster maintenance ($600 + $400 ranger fees as I am 400 miles from a service center) in the first year than I have on my last several ICE cars.

While I am a large proponent of EV's saving money is not quite there yet as any fuel savings has been offset with other expenses.

PS I am a "quirky" engineer, who actually logs all maintenance and repairs for all of my cars (and every tank of gas). I guess that is just a slight obsession with me.

EDIT: Tesla changed their service fees and now charge a flat $100. Not bad at all for me. There is one slight downside in that you have to pay it now even for warranty repairs but I think that is more than fair for them coming out to your house.

Last edited: