Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems the huge russian convoy has stopped because they are running out of fuel and food. I really hope that is the case.

If Ukraine is on top of this, they'll get behind the convey and target the back end, further cutting this convoy off from any supplies. Ukraine can then just surround the convey and wait them out.

Lots of food for thoughts here. More historical viewpoints to consider - that was in 2015

Note: I am not endorsing one view over another, I want to learn the facts as well as I can before forming an opinion - and there is a paucity of discussion from these point of views - maybe we should be lucky these videos haven't been censored/ banned from YouTube /s

From the U of Chicago this time

UnCommon Core: The Causes and Consequences of the Ukraine Crisis

John J. Mearsheimer, the R. Wendell Harrison Distinguished Service Professor in Political Science and Co-director of the Program on International Security Policy at the University of Chicago, assesses the causes of the present Ukraine crisis, the best way to end it, and its consequences for all of the main actors. A key assumption is that in order to come up with the optimum plan for ending the crisis, it is essential to know what caused the crisis. Regarding the all-important question of causes, the key issue is whether Russia or the West bears primary responsibility.

Why is Ukraine the West's Fault? Featuring John Mearsheimer
The "Why Ukraine is the fault of the West" line of thinking is just blatantly denying the right of self determination of Eastern Europeans and also a weirdly reverential apologia of Russian imperialism.

If Ukraine is on top of this, they'll get behind the convey and target the back end, further cutting this convoy off from any supplies. Ukraine can then just surround the convey and wait them out.
That's pretty much what they did with other incoming troops. Let the tanks in, then target the trucks coming in behind them.

If you put a stick in between the spokes of the tire, next time it rotates around to the axle fork it'll get stuck.

Seriously though......how are these convoys not super easy to stop in 2022? 20 or 30 drones should be able to handle it, no?
What kind of drones are you talking about? Ukrainians only have a couple dozen of the Turkish Bayraktars. We don't know how many the initial and subsequent Russian missile strikes took out, plus the Russians have mobile air defence with their armored forces. On the plus side, the footage that we have seen of them in action is very encouraging - when hitting an ammo or fuel truck it can wipe a whole unit.

If you put a stick in between the spokes of the tire, next time it rotates around to the axle fork it'll get stuck.

Seriously though......how are these convoys not super easy to stop in 2022? 20 or 30 drones should be able to handle it, no?
That's what I was thinking as well, how does a convoy just roll down the highway to the capital?? (I think they only have 11 drones)

It seems that 1 farmer could easily slow the convoy down.... dump large debris in the main road, dig a 1 meter deep trench on each side of it for 50meters. Tanks could pass easily but the supply convoy would be deterred. I couldn't imagine it would take more than a few hours or so to do something like that with a back hoe.

The more you do it, the more lead time you have for the next farmer to do the same 1km up the road. Maybe you don't have to do all of that if the ground is squishy/marshy enough like they say, just dump some tree trunks on the road . Then maybe every 5th blockage or so setup some anti-tank troops to ambush.

(I'm just an armchair War General, don't think too much about this). 😋

The "Why Ukraine is the fault of the West" line of thinking is just blatantly denying the right of self determination of Eastern Europeans and also a weirdly reverential apologia of Russian imperialism.

Yes, I understand - I've done many similar quick judgments, since I knew I was right and what the truth was, and that saved me a lot of time and aggravation.
< ... skipping a few decades .. > Short version, Rashomon.

OT *2 -> back to Elon Musk and Tesla/ SpaceX. He's the rare person who's had a real gamut of experiences - and now that he's successful (euphemism) it is even more amazing he's kept 'real'. Am also really curious as to what he's envisioning for a 'less worse' form of government for Mars and other galaxies. Pretty optimistic, considering what he's accomplished in business organization, rather revolutionary I think.

What kind of drones are you talking about? Ukrainians only have a couple dozen of the Turkish Bayraktars. We don't know how many the initial and subsequent Russian missile strikes took out, plus the Russians have mobile air defence with their armored forces. On the plus side, the footage that we have seen of them in action is very encouraging - when hitting an ammo or fuel truck it can wipe a whole unit.
This is why I think the EU and the US should increase their involvement. They are already supplying weapons, money, food, and other aid. The Russian military can't fight an actually WW3. We don't need to go into Russia. But many civilians in Ukraine will die and much more of the major cities will be destroyed if it takes a month for Russia to lose. The Russians have already increased indescriminant booming/destruction. NATO forces should just use drones and other airstrikes to take out the Russian supply line and stop any further advance of tanks/vehicles without putting a single boot on the ground. It would just be a small, but very significant (in terms of ending this conflict quickly) step up in what they are already doing.

Yes, I understand - I've done many similar quick judgments, since I knew I was right and what the truth was, and that saved me a lot of time and aggravation.
< ... skipping a few decades .. > Short version, Rashomon.

Cute, but if you cannot grasp why Imperialism and puppet states are deeply flawed I think it best to leave you alone.

This is why I think the EU and the US should increase their involvement. They are already supplying weapons, money, food, and other aid. The Russian military can't fight an actually WW3. We don't need to go into Russia. But many civilians in Ukraine will die and much more of the major cities will be destroyed if it takes a month for Russia to lose. The Russians have already increased indescriminant booming/destruction. NATO forces should just use drones and other airstrikes to take out the Russian supply line and stop any further advance of tanks/vehicles without putting a single boot on the ground. It would just be a small, but very significant (in terms of ending this conflict quickly) step up in what they are already doing.
???
Putin would answer with tactical nukes to that. Not bing ones, just small ones. It's a part of Russian military doctrine, even if he wasn't who he is.

???
Putin would answer with tactical nukes to that. Not bing ones, just small ones. It's a part of Russian military doctrine, even if he wasn't who he is.

Not necessarily. They know that would be then end of their country. And Russian invaded 8 years ago with 'Little Green Men'. Who's to say where the 'Little Gray Planes' came from that destroyed a Russian Column?

Indeed, which is why I view the 'West' approach to Ukraine as appeasement.
I can understand why somebody would be a bit gun-shy. We all have big weapons, while some of us have civilization-altering weapons. And mistakes are easy to make, leading to inadvertent escalation.

Many are talking tough now, but the West has a lot of long-term coordination issues. For instance, should the US let the EU expand into its frontiers when it is the US security guarantee that underpins it all?

Reactions: kbM3
From what I’ve read, e.g., Fiona Hill, this will cause Putin to use tactical nukes. I don’t have military or Russian/Putin understanding beyond what I read, so I leave this to hopefully much smarter individuals. My only point is it is critical to leverage the knowledge of those who have it.

Reactions: UrsS
From what I’ve read, e.g., Fiona Hill, this will cause Putin to use tactical nukes. I don’t have military or Russian/Putin understanding beyond what I read, so I leave this to hopefully much smarter individuals. My only point is it is critical to leverage the knowledge of those who have it.
Russian male psyche is to be a manly man with biiig balls. Anyone who thinks he doesn’t have big enough ones to use localised nukes is a bit dilusional