Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprised we're not seeing more press about potential successors to Putin. There's pretty much no avenue out of this now, so I gotta think the oligarchs replacing him has the best odds.

In my 5 minutes of googling, it seems current PM Mikhail Mishustin looks like the logical move. Didn't know he existed until 4 minutes ago, but he's a nice business-centric interim leader while the big boys figure out the real plan. Economist with no real aspiration to succeed Putin or stretch out an interim role.

Throw him in office, put out the fires, get the money flowing again, and go from there.

Surprised we're not seeing more press about potential successors to Putin. There's pretty much no avenue out of this now, so I gotta think the oligarchs replacing him has the best odds.

In my 5 minutes of googling, it seems current PM Mikhail Mishustin looks like the logical move. Didn't know he existed until 4 minutes ago, but he's a nice business-centric interim leader while the big boys figure out the real plan. Economist with no real aspiration to succeed Putin or stretch out an interim role.

Throw him in office, put out the fires, get the money flowing again, and go from there.
I unfortunately don't think that this is the way things work. If your line of thinking was actually the way how things work – then Putin would never have been allowed to full scale invade Ukraine in the first place.

Have you seen 'Death of Stalin'?

Have you seen 'Death of Stalin'?
One of my favorites and probably how it actually works! I bet everyone could live with this PM nerd at the helm for a bit. Give everyone a chance to maneuver a fake election or something similar.

Certainly there weren't a group of people sitting around a table approving Putin's authority 5 weeks ago, he had total power and control. Today is different. People are losing potentially billions of dollars, with the specter of being carved out of the global economy for good.

At some tipping point military control can shift to a group of oligarchs and military leaders who see the reality of the situation and that there's no viable path that includes Putin. That tipping point comes in what......a few weeks? Months?

At some tipping point military control can shift to a group of oligarchs and military leaders who see the reality of the situation and that there's no viable path that includes Putin. That tipping point comes in what......a few weeks? Months?
We don't have a lot of insight into he political processes in Russia, and we don't really know how the war is going to plan out...

If the Ukrainians win, that possibly happens in a few weeks... if they can prevent Kyiv being encircled, then it is going to be hard for Russians to take the city.
That would be Plan C failing...

If the Russians take the cities, perhaps that happens in the next few weeks, but after that the insurgency should last for years..

Trying to guess a timeline is very problematic.

If the Russians win and try to change the government in, all likelihood the sanctions last for years, until the West is happy with the elections for a Ukrainian government.

IMO a defeated army returning home almost always changes the government especially in a totalitarian regime,

The other alternative is Putin might die from natural causes, and that might be a circuit-breaker,

For the military campaign itself, there are reasons to be optimistic or pessimistic, experts are expressing various opinions, we might have a better idea in about 1 weeks time... The best case for the Ukrainians is they are able to prevent city sieges, or break city sieges, destroying a lot of Russian hardware in the process.

Once a major city falls and is held for a few days, then the insurgency period probably starts in that area.

Last edited:
BBC News is reporting that the southern port city of Kherson has fallen. It is the first Ukrainian city to be captured by the Russians during this war.

For people wondering, the reason the cities of Odessa and Kherson have such non-Russian sounding names is because of Catherine II (the Great) of Russia, who founded these cities and gave them their interesting pseudo-Greek sounding names.

Statement by scholars of genocide, Nazism and World War II

Since Feb. 24, 2022, the armed forces of the Russian Federation have been engaged in an unprovoked military aggression against Ukraine. The attack is a continuation of Russia’s annexation of the Crimean peninsula in 2014 and its heavy involvement in the armed conflict in the Donbas region.

The Russian attack came in the wake of accusations by the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, of crimes against humanity and genocide, allegedly committed by the Ukrainian government in the Donbas. Russian propaganda regularly presents the elected leaders of Ukraine as Nazis and fascists oppressing the local ethnic Russian population, which it claims needs to be liberated. President Putin stated that one of the goals of his “special military operation” against Ukraine is the “denazification” of the country.

We are scholars of genocide, the Holocaust and World War II. We spend our careers studying fascism and Nazism, and commemorating their victims. Many of us are actively engaged in combating contemporary heirs to these evil regimes and those who attempt to deny or cast a veil over their crimes.

We strongly reject the Russian government’s cynical abuse of the term genocide, the memory of World War II and the Holocaust, and the equation of the Ukrainian state with the Nazi regime to justify its unprovoked aggression. This rhetoric is factually wrong, morally repugnant and deeply offensive to the memory of millions of victims of Nazism and those who courageously fought against it, including Russian and Ukrainian soldiers of the Red Army.

We do not idealize the Ukrainian state and society. Like any other country, it has right-wing extremists and violent xenophobic groups. Ukraine also ought to better confront the darker chapters of its painful and complicated history. Yet none of this justifies the Russian aggression and the gross mischaracterization of Ukraine. At this fateful moment we stand united with free, independent and democratic Ukraine and strongly reject the Russian government’s misuse of the history of World War II to justify its own violence.

That's what they said when they came back to Hungary in 1956, but the West just watched instead. There will be no intervention, just sabre rattling. China will also get emboldened to strike Taiwan.

Have you been ignoring the news? The world is reacting to this in every way short of declaring war on Russia. The economic sanctions are steep, from virtually all countries, and unprecedented in their breadth. Some of those countries are traditionally neutral in every conflict.

Many countries are sending arms to Ukraine and there are also countries that have told their citizens they can fight in Ukraine without any legal repercussions. (Most countries have laws preventing their citizens from fighting in foreign armies.)

Yes, every article about "well, the West brought this on themselves by expanding NATO eastward" basically boils down to the assumption that 150 million Eastern Europeans have no right to chose their destiny and allegiance. I believe the proper scholarly response to that is "иди нахуй".

Those Eastern European countries approached NATO requesting membership. Some were clamoring to join before the dust settled on the fall of the Berlin Wall. They did exercise their rights to their allegiances and chose who they wanted to throw in with.

Joining EU is the real dream of all poor European countries. That's what raises investments and living standards.
Joining NATO is just a prerequisite, whether written or not.

Should this happen, it may turn out to be useful offramp. Demilitarized Ukraine that belongs to EU.
Everyone can claim victory, and no one gets everything.

Not sure about Krimea in all that, but EU membership is such a gift, Ukraine may be able to let it go. Please don't point to territorial integrity etc, that's not how real politics work - I've lived in Yugoslavia when everything was falling apart, and borders didn't stay sacred.

Edit: I should add that I feel Putin is predictable; he's mad, but he's predictably mad. From his KGB days, he was evaluated to have "diminished sense of risk". Another 20+ years of absolute power have created a person that lives in his own "story", that's poorly co-related to the real world. Add these together, and I am afraid he's ready to pay almost any price that his citizens will be paying, not himself. So his willingness to escalate may throw us in the WW3 if everyone else chose to call his "bluffs", which aren't bluffs...

Historically Putin has been predictable. Lately he's changed. He has become very paranoid since COVID broke out. He has been living in almost complete isolation. At the height of the pandemic anybody who met him face to face had to go through a decontamination procedure. Now when he meets with people he's always seated a ridiculously long ways away from them. It wasn't just Macron. He also hasn't been seen standing up in some time and was seen sitting awkwardly like his back was killing him a few months ago.

He's behaving like someone who is immune compromised and it's quite possible he has cancer that has become fairly advanced and maybe got into his brain.

Putin has always played a long game, taking little bites when he could. He's as good at the Chinese of watching for opportunities and making moves when he could be reasonably certain of success. With this, he's thrown all caution to the wind. This is a wild bet on a poor hand.

Russia is losing. They have not taken day 1 objectives.

The bad news is the newly unstable Putin is unpredictable. Will he burn down the world over this? That is the question that the entire fate of the world hangs on.

Putin does have enemies in the Kremlin. He sent a Chechen kill squad to kill Zelensky. Someone in the Kremlin sold them out and the Ukrainians eliminated them. Someone has also been feeding the Russian playbook the US intelligence since last fall.

I don't see how that ID's anything? Anyway...maybe they can explain the logic. Sounds good but...what is the reasoning behind that scrap being an su34
If you read through the OSINT thread that I linked to you will see that they have been able to ID it as piece of an SU-34 wing in service with Russia by the colour scheme, the markings, the panel shapes, the rivet patterns, and the attached internal structural items. Other information regarding the provenance of the photo that is partly discussed ties it to Karkiv area of Ukraine. I see wiki is now reporting one as lost and giving a telegram link (currently wiki ref 84).

As always with this sort of thing one should weigh the intelligence and the analysis of the information carefully, listening to the views of others and their history and provenance, then considering what weight to ascribe to them. It looks to me as if they have drawn a valid conclusion. Just as with stock analysis (such as here with TSLA) open source co-operative efforts are surprisingly perceptive and accurate. There are people out there who seem to know every panel and rivet pattern on every aircraft, vehicle, and ship hull in the world, even oil stain shapes !

Russian military aggression has to be stopped, but I wonder how many people here are familiar with the Jewish tragedy in Ukraine ? Wikipedia is a pretty good summary, but below is a tl;dr version:

• Violent anti-semitism has been rampant in the Ukraine for hundreds of years. Wholesale slaughter of Jews was so common it got its own name -- the pogrom (invented by the cossaks, adopted by the ukrainians.)
  • During WW II the most extreme genocide of Jews occurred in Nazi Germany, Poland, and Ukraine. The Ukraine stood out in particular for not only passively supporting the slaughter, but carrying out the slaughter themselves.
  • The few Jews left today in Ukraine (about 17k today, 900k 100 years ago) remain a political dog whistle for the Ukrainian nationalists and Ukrainian Nazi supporting descendants, both of whom use Jewish hate propaganda to rally the population to their side.
I can think of better candidates for the EU.
Yet in the split of former Yugoslavia, the side that sided with the Nazis (and had anti Jewish genocide on the rap sheet) were the side that the UN moved in to protect. The side which was on the Allies side was the aggressor …. comitting genocide against other religions / races🤔. Croatia (ex Nazi supporters) & Slovenia are both in the EU.

This fresh in, 7, 8 & 11yr old children drew a poster saying “No to war”, went to the Uktainian Embassy with their parent who laid flowers in support of Ukraine. The children and parents all arrested, parents are having their parenting rights taken away from them and the children will be brought up in care!

If that isn’t the sign of a deranged meglamaniac then I don’t know what is🤦🏼‍♂️.

Yet in the split of former Yugoslavia, the side that sided with the Nazis (and had anti Jewish genocide on the rap sheet) were the side that the UN moved in to protect. The side which was on the Allies side was the aggressor …. comitting genocide against other religions / races🤔. Croatia (ex Nazi supporters) & Slovenia are both in the EU.
Just a wild guess here... Could the reason be that those two events were separated in time by roughly 45 years?

Just a wild guess here... Could the reason be that those two events were separated in time by roughly 45 years?
May well be but it didn’t prevent Croatia joining the EU so why should it prevent Ukraine from joining? As someone else pointed out Germany (the biggest member of the EU financially) was the main protagonist in WW2 & shall we say “not exactly Pro Jewish”🤔