Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should probably gain some knowledge before commenting with certainty. Most of our military drones are small surveillance drones and can't carry any weapons.
Knowing the world is plenty. The only reason we say we have 700ish drones is so people don't come to the obvious conclusion the F-35 program was a complete waste of a trillion dollars.

The other side of that same coin is that if we can spend money on something militarily effective, we will. Since weaponized drones are far far cheaper and more effective, we'll buy closer to all of them than a few of them.

"Wouldn't want Russia getting their hands on these, would you Senator?"
[hands over invoice that's quickly stamped]

European plan to donate fighter jets to Ukraine collapses​

.../ Slovakia’s small fleet of MiG-29s are the country’s only fighter jets, and they are being serviced by Russian workers under contract, making their transfer a tough sell in Bratislava.

The Slovakian government is also engaged in talks with Poland to provide protection of Slovak airspace, and until that deal is reached, they need their MiG-29s. /...
What's the problem?

Why can't the US, France or the UK protect the Slovakian airspace and also provide the Air Power necessary if the countries with the MIGs give them to Ukraine?

Reactions: BornToFly
Anyway, this is just a historic clarification, and completely irrelevant to what is happening today - invading another country is never justified, killing civilians is never justified, Putin is a war criminal.
I completely agree with that sentiment with one caveat: in the very rare instances where someone as evil as a Hitler or Pol Pot comes to power, invasion can be justified.

Lots of food for thoughts here. More historical viewpoints to consider - that was in 2015

Note: I am not endorsing one view over another, I want to learn the facts as well as I can before forming an opinion - and there is a paucity of discussion from these point of views - maybe we should be lucky these videos haven't been censored/ banned from YouTube /s

From the U of Chicago this time

UnCommon Core: The Causes and Consequences of the Ukraine Crisis

John J. Mearsheimer, the R. Wendell Harrison Distinguished Service Professor in Political Science and Co-director of the Program on International Security Policy at the University of Chicago, assesses the causes of the present Ukraine crisis, the best way to end it, and its consequences for all of the main actors. A key assumption is that in order to come up with the optimum plan for ending the crisis, it is essential to know what caused the crisis. Regarding the all-important question of causes, the key issue is whether Russia or the West bears primary responsibility.

Why is Ukraine the West's Fault? Featuring John Mearsheimer

Update from Mearsheimer in today's New Yorker - (see also this piece on Ukraine's mis step

BTW I prefer to know all relevant facts and opinions, those contradicting my prior beliefs I find more useful as they are potentially an opportunity to learn something new, the opposite of the echo chamber effect which is the current 'brainwashing" happening all over the world, now especially in the US. As Elon said in that vein, if you're not making mistakes, you're not growing/ improving ; D

UKRN.mearshmr.new.yorker.jpg

Last edited:
Update from Mearsheimer in today's New Yorker - (see also this piece on Ukraine's mis step

BTW I prefer to know all relevant facts and opinions, those contradicting my prior beliefs I find more useful as they are potentially an opportunity to learn something new, the opposite of the echo chamber effect which is the current 'brainwashing" happening all over the world, now especially in the US. As Elon said in that vein, if you're not making mistakes, you're not growing/ improving ; D

View attachment 775791
What are his views on the Jewish Space Laser?

What's the problem?

Why can't the US, France or the UK protect the Slovakian airspace and also provide the Air Power necessary if the countries with the MIGs give them to Ukraine?
With the current state of affairs, what country would want to put their country's air defense solely in the hands of another nation?
The Drive already did an earlier analysis that the numbers for fighter jet donations mentioned were not realistic, as it'll leave a couple countries without their major air defense.
Reports That Ukraine Is About To Get 70 Donated Fighter Jets Don't Add Up

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Many democracies now have racist nationalist movements. Considering that Zelensky got 70% of the vote and now has a 91% approval rating, I wouldn't say the nationalist/racist movement there is as serious a problem as some other democracies. A number of NATO and EU countries have worse problems right now.
I think that Putin's use of the terms "neo-nazis" and "Nazis" is just a veiled reference to Germany. He's just symbolically reminding Russians that Germany did invade Russia during WW2 and that it could happen again. In the West, people are assuming that Putin means that Ukrainians are Nazis and therefore also antisemitic, when in fact, the level of antisemitism is probably the same in both Ukraine and Russia.

I think that Putin's use of the terms "neo-nazis" and "Nazis" is just a veiled reference to Germany. He's just symbolically reminding Russians that Germany did invade Russia during WW2 and that it could happen again. In the West, people are assuming that Putin means that Ukrainians are Nazis and therefore also antisemitic, when in fact, the level of antisemitism is probably the same in both Ukraine and Russia.

Ukraine does have a far-right problem.... but what country doesn't?

Reactions: CLK350
Yes, probably the US military does not favour drones due to financial/historic reasons. Drones are the future, manned planes will become obsolete.

I think most of the Ukrainian drones are Turkish. These drones proved themselves in the last Azerbajani-Armenian war, where they decided the victor (azerbajan). They also saved Ethiopia recently from getting overwhelmed by the insurgency.

From what I understand, it is in fact Israel and Turkey who are the leaders in droned warfare.
The other point I don't see pointed out is training is a major issue. That's why donating advanced weapons to Ukraine is not a straightforward thing. Ukraine has been using Turkish drones since 2019. Same deal with fighter jet donations, the only viable ones are soviet era jets that Ukraine is already using. The conditions simply don't allow for sufficient training to use new advanced weapons effectively (not to mention coordination).

Donating weapons like the Javelin and Stingers is far more effective given little to no training is required to use them. The only missing major component is anti-air against faster targets like fighter jets. That may require giving Ukraine SAM systems like the Patriot, but that's a major move that the US and others have not moved to yet while Russia still have not controlled the Ukrainian airspace completely.