Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems to be a problem...

.../ In October-November 2022, numerous videos of Russia backed war journalists have emerged in their Telegram accounts showing Lancet drones striking various Ukrainian military equipment including two S-300 launchers,[7] a Buk-M1 missile system,[8] two Italian FH70 artilleries,[9][10] an American M777 attillery[11] and two Norwegian M109A3GN artilleries.[12][13]. On 20 october Russian ministry of defence in their official Telegram account showed lancet destroying 2A65 Msta-B howitzer. [14]

On 4 November 2022, a Gyurza-M-class gunboat of the Ukrainian Navy was damaged by a Lancet drone. The attack was recorded on video by another UAV.[15] /...

I was going to post a couple of days ago that it's looking more like some sort of trap than a retreat. I'm seeing more and more commentary putting that theory forward. I suspect UKR are a few steps ahead already and won't fall for any poorly laid plans.
I really hope so.
I don't know. Something is clearly going on, if only by looking at the evidence in the daily loss statistics to the extent that they can be depended on. What exactly is happening is unclear.

They are pulling out all the stops to attack Ukrainian cities as much as possible, but that is becoming less effective as the Ukrainians get better defenses. Russia is also running low on their domestic stock of precision missiles. They have been using S-300 anti-air missiles in the ground attack role, which is a major waste of resources. There has been a lot of talk about Russia getting Iranian ballistic missiles, but estimates of Iran's stockpile of these weapons are that they don't have that many of them and the production rate is low. Estimates are that the Iranians have made less than 100 launchers.

Iran does appear to have lots of the kamikaze drones, but the Ukrainians are getting better at shooting them down.

It's basically V-1 and V-2s all over again. They did damage to London and were feared by the population for good reason, but they did nothing to soften British support for the war. Same thing is happening now. All the attacks are doing is deepening the hatred Ukrainians have for Russians.
It is not often said, but UK home morale was negatively impacted by both the WW1 and WW2 bombing campaigns. That fact was suppressed and closely monitored, and measures put in place to counter it. So it should not be taken for granted that bombing campaigns are counterproductive. Especially when - as now - there can be relatively precise strikes on infrastructure targets that cause substantial degradation of quality of life for the civilian population. Such deliberate targetting of civilian infrastructure is of course a war crime.
===

This seems to be a problem...

Yes the Lancet drones the Russians are using are a problem. Let us hope that Russian production rates remain low.

Such deliberate targetting of civilian infrastructure is of course a war crime.

I have read that Russian TV is citing NATO bombing of Serbian power plants/electricity grid during the Yugoslav breakup wars as precedent and justification.

Of course NATO was trying to stop Serbian genocide of Bosniaks/Albanians. Not engaging in genocide.

Those calls are all cherry picked , only 2 a day and the Ukraine military picks which to release.

They are interesting but don’t believe that is the whole story. Very savvy by UAF but it is purposeful.

I've seen more than 2 in a day, but they are probably cherry picked. The fact that there are enough calls with the complaints heard in them are indicative of an army in trouble. The lack of Russian success on the ground the last few months dovetails with the content of the calls.

Didn't you say Russia would be out of ammunition in March / April? Get off this the sky is falling schtick. The way you guys are eating up Ukrainian propaganda is hilarious considering how quickly you call ANY report / statement from Russia "deceiving".

You have been preaching the end of Russia "is imminent" for almost 1 year now. I think it is time to hang up being an international strategic warfare advisor and admit you're throwing sht at the wall and hoping it sticks.

The nature of a Lanchester Square Collapse it's difficult to predict exactly when it happens and how it exactly play out, but when the precursors are there, they always happen. A force can continue fighting though badly for quite a while after a collapse. Japanese air power was present in large numbers from the collapse in 1943 to the end of the war, but its effectiveness was very poor. Kamikazes helped achieve some limited success and forced the Allies to dedicate a lot of resources to stop them, but it was a dying gasp.

A force fighting on after a Lanchester Square collapse is like trying to run with a torn tendon in your leg. It's going to hurt like hell and almost certainly do more serious damage, but it can be done. That's the state of the Russian army right now. They are keeping a force in the field, but they are in very poor condition and they are doing long lasting damage to themselves. They are losing equipment they can't really replace, destroying their reputation on the world stage (they keep their defense industry going through international sales and the poor performance in this war isn't helping the reputation for their equipment), and they are getting a lot of young men killed.

There are a number of videos produced by conscripts showing the poor conditions they are living under and talking about how terrible everything is. Way beyond "the food is terrible", more like "we have little to eat and we're sleeping outside with no camping gear" type complaints. Those are the sort of morale problems that could trigger mutiny.

Ukraine is on the offensive, though moving slowly. Both Kherson and northern Luhansk are falling apart for the Russians. The Ukrainians may be held back by not enough vehicles. The weather isn't helping either. The ground will start to freeze within a month and at least tracked vehicles will be able to get around better. We'll see if the offense picks up steam.

I expect Ukraine to be able to take back most of the territory the Russians took, but Crimea will be difficult. Crimea being a peninsula it's fairly easy to defend the land border with Ukraine. Though if Ukraine is able to shut down the Kerch bridges completely and interdict all traffic on the Azoz Sea with anti shipping missiles on the northern shore (once they get there), Crimea will become very difficult to keep supplied.

I see the war ending one of the following ways:
1) Mutiny within the Russian army similar to what happened in 1917 probably with subsequent unrest in Russia itself.
2) Something happening in Russia that dramatically changes the politics of the war. This could be unrest in Russia that destabilizes the country or Putin being removed in one way or another and the new leader blaming it all on Putin and withdrawing.
3) Ukraine continues to take territory back until the last Russian unit is out of Ukraine and the Russians make a lot of noise about coming back and re-invading, but never do because they physically can't.
4) Russia uses a nuclear weapon or a dirty bomb (also possible if Putin is removed and a hard liner replaces him thinks nuclear weapons are the answer). This will trigger a NATO response that will result in a major air campaign that will take out Russian assets across the region. This may then trigger a full scale nuclear war or the Russians may slink off back to Russia grumbling about the US forcing them to do it.

There are possibilities for combinations of the above too. Russia could have unrest or a civil war under any scenario where they lose in Ukraine. Russia does not fare very well when they lose a war. After the Crimean War in the 1860s the turmoil after the war forced the freeing of the serfs and a number of other reforms. The lass to the Japanese in 1904 and 1905 caused an uprising that almost overthrew the Czar in 1906. The disaster of WWI led to the Russian Revolution and the failure in Afghanistan contributed to the fall of the USSR.

Most western countries would have quit at this point. Western militaries and their people are more sensitive to losses than the Russians. But there comes a point where flogging the dying horse is not going to make it move any further.

A broken force can fight a defense, though usually not a very effective one. The US/Philippine army at Corregidor held out into early 1942, but it was pretty much broken months before. In numerous island battles the Japanese were able to hold some ground even after the back was broken on their defenses. There are many other examples, but in each case the inevitable outcome is certain before resistance ends.

Winning so hard they’re conscripting prisoners.

(Not confirmed but probably)

I think there is pretty solid evidence they are recruiting prisoners, though it's mostly Wagner. The Russian news has said they are recruiting from prisons, there are stories from within Russia of it going on, and the Ukrainians have captured people who go into detail about having been prisoners and what they were in prison for.

I don't know. Something is clearly going on, if only by looking at the evidence in the daily loss statistics to the extent that they can be depended on. What exactly is happening is unclear.

We will know eventually, but in the meantime all we can do is tease out that something is happening.

It is not often said, but UK home morale was negatively impacted by both the WW1 and WW2 bombing campaigns. That fact was suppressed and closely monitored, and measures put in place to counter it. So it should not be taken for granted that bombing campaigns are counterproductive. Especially when - as now - there can be relatively precise strikes on infrastructure targets that cause substantial degradation of quality of life for the civilian population. Such deliberate targetting of civilian infrastructure is of course a war crime.
===

True. I have read that if the handwriting wasn't on the wall already it may have force Britain out of the war.

Ukraine's history the last few hundred years have been more difficult than Britain's. Stalin tried to starve them in the 1930s followed by a brutal German occupation in WW II. The Ukrainians have often been treated as inferior by the Muscovites with periodic brutality.

This war has driven those old ideas home to a new generation of Ukrainians. Many Ukrainians feel that this war is make or break: either break the back of the Russians at all costs or Ukraine dies. When the threat feels existential, people will fight harder and will put up with more pain to get there.

Yes the Lancet drones the Russians are using are a problem. Let us hope that Russian production rates remain low.

The Lancet does seem like a nasty piece of kit. I suspect their supply is limited. We'll see what plays out.

I have read that Russian TV is citing NATO bombing of Serbian power plants/electricity grid during the Yugoslav breakup wars as precedent and justification.

Of course NATO was trying to stop Serbian genocide of Bosniaks/Albanians. Not engaging in genocide.

The NATO bombing campaign also took place in the spring. Nobody was at high risk of freezing.

I still think the campaign in Serbia was a dubious use of the NATO alliance, but it was effective in ending the war and the subsequent peace keeper troops did help the region gain some degree of stability. There have been some minor dust ups since the war, but it's mostly peaceful now.

As a result I have mixed feeling about the NATO campaign there. I think it was a wrong use of the alliance, but the result worked. The next time they tried it, things didn't turn out as well. Libya today is pretty much a failed state.

Didn't you say Russia would be out of ammunition in March / April? Get off this the sky is falling schtick. The way you guys are eating up Ukrainian propaganda is hilarious considering how quickly you call ANY report / statement from Russia "deceiving".

You have been preaching the end of Russia "is imminent" for almost 1 year now. I think it is time to hang up being an international strategic warfare advisor and admit you're throwing sht at the wall and hoping it sticks.

Can you show us where he said they would be out of ammo by March. Russia has crazy amount of ammo stockpiles. That sounds completely ridiculous but it is not the first time a Russian apologist has used that statement as a straw man argument to show how Russia is “winning”.

This may then trigger a full scale nuclear war or the Russians may slink off back to Russia grumbling about the US forcing them to do it.

From what I've read Putin/Kremlin believe that at some level of nuclear escalation the US/NATO cries uncle first.

The US and Russia goes a couple of rounds of nuking midsize cities. Putin believes the US will blink first. In part because Ukraine matters more to Russia than does the US and in part because the US is a democracy. And the public will absolutely demand it.

Russia nukes Denver. The US nukes Volgograd. The US has taken revenge and the US public feel it is an honorable resolution to simply stop supporting Ukraine in exchange for a cessation of nuclear hostilities.

I don't think the Kremlin is contemplating a full nuclear exchange. But one never knows what happens when blood boils in the heat of war.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Yes, against Serba. Also coalition forces targetted the energy grid in Iraq on more than one occasion. And of course various key road and rail bridges.

It has been a long time since I looked at those targetting decisions. My recollection - which may be amiss - is that the particular bits of the energy grid that were targetted were generally done in such a way as to be fairly easy to repair, and were far more limited in extent. That is clearly not what Russia is doing now in Ukraine. However I may not be remembering this very well.

Nuances matter when approving targets against lawful criteria. I don't think Russia is doing anything nuanced right now. But you do raise a fair challenge on this.

Yes, against Serba. Also coalition forces targetted the energy grid in Iraq on more than one occasion. And of course various key road and rail bridges.

It has been a long time since I looked at those targetting decisions. My recollection - which may be amiss - is that the particular bits of the energy grid that were targetted were generally done in such a way as to be fairly easy to repair, and were far more limited in extent. That is clearly not what Russia is doing now in Ukraine. However I may not be remembering this very well.

Nuances matter when approving targets against lawful criteria. I don't think Russia is doing anything nuanced right now. But you do raise a fair challenge on this.

I think this is is a fair discussion point. Targeting infrastructure has been in the war playbook for pretty much every major human conflict. The balance between inconveniencing (or worse) civilians versus the goal of degrading the adversary's economy, government, military manufacturing/logistics etc seems like the debate point rather than a black and white "thou shall never hinder the civilians..." Taking a dispassionate viewpoint of things, the western sanctions against Russia are likely introducing some level of misery on their civilian populace but we have collectively decided that the juice is worth the squeeze. Bombing Kiev's power infrastructure seems to have taken that same concept and dialed it up by an order of magnitude, but where did it cross over from being acceptable to unacceptable.

Protocol I and II of the Geneva Convention and related UN resolutions are somewhat helpful providing some clarity: In 1998, in a statement by its President on the situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the UN Security Council [of which Russia was a part] recalled “the unacceptability of the destruction or rendering useless of objects indispensable to the survival of the civilian population, and in particular of using cuts in the electricity and water supply as a weapon against the population” Customary IHL - Practice Relating to Rule 54. Attacks against Objects Indispensable to the Survival of the Civilian Population

Grain deal stand-off shows that Russia is weak

Russia's weird tango with the grain deal after the Ukrainian attack on warships in Sevastopol is interesting. It looks like Russia lost a diplomatic stand-off with Turkey and realized that they don't have the naval power to enforce a blockade on Odesa.

This analysis is similar to what I said shortly after the drone attacks on Russia's fleet in the Black Sea:
Ukraine has hobbled Russia's Black Sea Fleet. Could it turn the tide of the war?

Russia’s Black Sea Fleet was once considered central to Vladimir Putin’s attempted conquest of Ukraine.

But that fleet and its accompanying air wing have been battered by innovative Ukrainian missile and drone attacks, turning the once-feared force into something of an afterthought in Europe’s largest war in seven decades.

IMHO, crippling the Black Sea Fleet was huge. As big as damaging the Kerch Strait Bridge, maybe bigger. After the naval drone attacks, Russia withdrew it's permission to let grain ships sail from Ukraine. They sailed anyway and then Russia changed its mind. Perhaps Russia lacked the naval power to interdict the grain ships and didn't want to get NATO involved in the war by sinking them with missiles. In addition, the Russia ships had been firing missiles into Ukraine making them important military targets.

Don't think I would call that a "riot", and I don't know where the "nearly 2000" number comes from. But at least it's better than nothing.

Credit goes to (in Swedish):

Reactions: petit_bateau
From what I've read Putin/Kremlin believe that at some level of nuclear escalation the US/NATO cries uncle first.

The US and Russia goes a couple of rounds of nuking midsize cities. Putin believes the US will blink first. In part because Ukraine matters more to Russia than does the US and in part because the US is a democracy. And the public will absolutely demand it.

Russia nukes Denver. The US nukes Volgograd. The US has taken revenge and the US public feel it is an honorable resolution to simply stop supporting Ukraine in exchange for a cessation of nuclear hostilities.

I don't think the Kremlin is contemplating a full nuclear exchange. But one never knows what happens when blood boils in the heat of war.
If Denver gets nuked then Russia won’t exist on the map anymore lol.

Once the nuclear weapons start flying, the final outcome becomes unpredictable. From ex-US military people who would have been on the inside for these sorts of decisions have opined on likely the US response to Russia's use of a tactical nuclear weapon and it's unlikely the US would escalate. An initial US response to a tactical nuke would likely be conventional in nature using the full might of US air power to destroy all Russian military assets in the Ukraine region.

The US has also promised to target likely locations of Russian leadership and military command in a nuclear strike rather than cities. The accuracy of US weapons is well known. The Russian equivalent of NORAD probably can't withstand a direct hit by a nuclear weapon on their front door.

I think this is is a fair discussion point. Targeting infrastructure has been in the war playbook for pretty much every major human conflict. The balance between inconveniencing (or worse) civilians versus the goal of degrading the adversary's economy, government, military manufacturing/logistics etc seems like the debate point rather than a black and white "thou shall never hinder the civilians..." Taking a dispassionate viewpoint of things, the western sanctions against Russia are likely introducing some level of misery on their civilian populace but we have collectively decided that the juice is worth the squeeze. Bombing Kiev's power infrastructure seems to have taken that same concept and dialed it up by an order of magnitude, but where did it cross over from being acceptable to unacceptable.

Protocol I and II of the Geneva Convention and related UN resolutions are somewhat helpful providing some clarity: In 1998, in a statement by its President on the situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the UN Security Council [of which Russia was a part] recalled “the unacceptability of the destruction or rendering useless of objects indispensable to the survival of the civilian population, and in particular of using cuts in the electricity and water supply as a weapon against the population” Customary IHL - Practice Relating to Rule 54. Attacks against Objects Indispensable to the Survival of the Civilian Population

Highlight mine. There is the key difference between the Russian attacks and other attacks on infrastructure by NATO and western forces since WW II. Knocking out the power in Serbia in spring is not going to put anyone at risk of freezing to death. Knocking out the power in Ukraine in the fall in such a way that it's going to take a long time to restore power puts a lot of civilians at risk.

I don’t imagine that will matter if we carpet nuke Russia since the world would be enveloped in nuclear winter.

Mutually assured destruction, one way or another.

Came across this the other day. This Twitter account documents the losses of Russian officers that can be documented
https://twitter.com/KilledInUkraine

The actual losses are certainly much higher, especially the losses of junior officers. Officer crops are pyramids with lieutenants making up the largest number of any rank. Junior officers are also at the most risk on the battlefield more likely to be on the front line. I would expect the death toll for lieutenants to be several times what they report here. The senior officer total is probably closer to actual losses because they are more likely to have their loss reported.

Once the nuclear weapons start flying, the final outcome becomes unpredictable.

I agree and acknowledged as such.

I am not talking about tactical nuclear weapons in theater. Which the US has hinted it would respond with overwhelming conventional force.

I think, like you, the Russian General Staff has concluded they can't win a conventional war. And they can't win with limited use of tactical nuclear weapons in theater. And there is no point of taking Ukraine if it is glowing nuclear orange.

I am talking about the annihilation of a midsize American city. In order to force the White House to withdraw from this proxy war. I think Putin may be willing to endure a proportional response. For a few rounds.

I think Putin may be willing to risk unintended escalation and a full nuclear exchange instead of accepting defeat.

Reactions: mekberg