Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is The New York Post, which is not the most reliable journalism outlet.

The New York Post got it from the Telegram channel General SVR "which purports to be run by a former Russian spy"... Byt yeah... It seems it can be placed into the gossip/hearsay category...

There's a direct link to that channel and possibly the post in question on this (Swedish) page if anyone is interested...

Just search for "General SVR" on that page and you'll find the link...

The New York Post got it from the Telegram channel General SVR "which purports to be run by a former Russian spy"... Byt yeah... It seems it can be placed into the gossip/hearsay category...

There's a direct link to that channel and possibly the post in question on this (Swedish) page if anyone is interested...

Just search for "General SVR" on that page and you'll find the link...

My partner did point out that if Putin does have Parkinson's as some have speculated, both unsteadiness on your feet and loss of bowel control are common.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12 and NicoV
Could Ukraine retake Crimea?

Zelenskyy speech from August:
Everything started with Crimea and will end with it

It seems that no matter what happens, this will be a big mess. I have more sympathy for people who wanted to cede Crimea (and other parts of Ukraine) to Russia in order to stop the fighting. I can also see why Putin raised the brutality level, attacking civilian infrastructure with more gusto, after the Kerch Bridge was bombed.

It's all about Crimea.

The Feb 24th invasion can be seen as an attempt to solidify Russia's control over Crimea by creating a land bridge and by undamming the water supply. At least as a fallback plan-B. Putin really doesn't want to lose it. This may not be an existential threat to Russia but it is likely an existential threat to its head of state. Ukraine is determined to take Crimea back and seems united on this issue. Ukraine's Western allies may not back them. There are many ways this could go horribly wrong.

My partner did point out that if Putin does have Parkinson's as some have speculated, both unsteadiness on your feet and loss of bowel control are common.

Loss of bowel control in PD is seen in severe cases, typically with associated dementia. Think Nursing Home resident.
Every time you or your partner veer off into medical speculation, this thread takes a nosedive. Please stop.

Could Ukraine retake Crimea?

Zelenskyy speech from August:
Everything started with Crimea and will end with it

It seems that no matter what happens, this will be a big mess. I have more sympathy for people who wanted to cede Crimea (and other parts of Ukraine) to Russia in order to stop the fighting. I can also see why Putin raised the brutality level, attacking civilian infrastructure with more gusto, after the Kerch Bridge was bombed.

It's all about Crimea.

The Feb 24th invasion can be seen as an attempt to solidify Russia's control over Crimea by creating a land bridge and by undamming the water supply. At least as a fallback plan-B. Putin really doesn't want to lose it. This may not be an existential threat to Russia but it is likely an existential threat to its head of state. Ukraine is determined to take Crimea back and seems united on this issue. Ukraine's Western allies may not back them. There are many ways this could go horribly wrong.

Crimea is in the center of a several untapped or partially tapped oil and gas reservoirs. Most offshore, but some in Crimea. There is more under the Donbas too. Western oil companies were beginning to develop those fields when Russia invaded in 2014.

This is an article about some sketchy dealings with Crimean oil development, but the map is useful.
A mysterious oil company drilling in Crimea

Whoever controls Crimea controls those fields. Europe wants them in Ukrainian hands because they want a friendly source for natural gas.

Crimea is in the center of a several untapped or partially tapped oil and gas reservoirs. Most offshore, but some in Crimea. There is more under the Donbas too. Western oil companies were beginning to develop those fields when Russia invaded in 2014.

This is an article about some sketchy dealings with Crimean oil development, but the map is useful.
A mysterious oil company drilling in Crimea

Whoever controls Crimea controls those fields. Europe wants them in Ukrainian hands because they want a friendly source for natural gas.
To be honest in a post-conflict Ukraine I think it will be at least 5-years before any oil & gas company is prepared to take the reputation risks associated with developing in the eastern part of Ukraine including offshore Crimea. That is even assuming a peaceful outcome as opposed to another frozen conflict. Add in another 5-years to go from 'start' to any significant hydrocarbons and you have 10-years. And in 10-years time I think the progress in rolling out renewables will mean that the demand simply isn't there. So really I struggle to see who would even start down that road.

A few more bit

Export T90 - are these ones that were for India ?

Belarus

The scale of the war crimes

and this would be a UN-GA resolution bypassing the UN-P5 veto problem

Last edited:
To be honest in a post-conflict Ukraine I think it will be at least 5-years before any oil & gas company is prepared to take the reputation risks associated with developing in the eastern part of Ukraine including offshore Crimea. That is even assuming a peaceful outcome as opposed to another frozen conflict. Add in another 5-years to go from 'start' to any significant hydrocarbons and you have 10-years. And in 10-years time I think the progress in rolling out renewables will mean that the demand simply isn't there. So really I struggle to see who would even start down that road.

We will be using fossil fuels for some time to come. The Russians have already developed some of the resources in and around Crimea, so they are ready to be tapped. I agree it will take a while for any new development to happen again.

There is a chance that Russia devolves into civil war on the back end of this war. It's also probable that even if they do manage to stay together, Russia will be a pariah state and a lot of countries will continue to boycott their oil and gas. Having alternatives to Russia for oil and gas will be needed.

Oil is going to still be required for aircraft and ships for a long time to come. We have land transportation technologies on the shelf right now, the problem is scaling up production to replace ICE. There are no viable technologies for replacing fossil fuels for air and sea transport. Electrics can be used for short range air and naval travel, but for any distance oil is the only viable fuel for the foreseeable future.

If countries are successful in killing off natural gas for generating electricity (I think it's going to take longer than many people think), the remaining natural gas can be turned into fertilizer, which has a growing demand worldwide.

A few more bit

Export T90 - are these ones that were for India ?

I read Russia was preparing a batch of T-90s for India when the war broke out. The status of those were in limbo for some time. The Russians may have taken over the order due to the war emergency.

I've also read that India is working to free itself from dependence on the Russian arms industry. They are starting to set up their own arms factories. Russia's arms export business might be permanently damaged by this war. Whether countries are going to get what they paid for is now in doubt and the performance of Russian hardware in battle has come up short. A lot of that is due to incompetent operators vs well trained Ukrainians, but it's not a good look.

Putin has been trying to get Balarus into the war since the beginning, but Lukashenko has been resisting. From what I've read, the mood in Belarus is much more pro-Ukraine than pro-Russia and Lukashenko probably knows that the bulk of his army would defect shortly after crossing the border into Ukraine. If they don't defect, they are going to do as little as possible to harm Ukrainians.

That's a lot of spent missiles!

and this would be a UN-GA resolution bypassing the UN-P5 veto problem

I do think Russia needs to be removed from the Security Council. The small countries in the UN should be brought into the fold on the Russian war crimes debate. The world order established after WW II that pretty much says the borders of countries as of the late 40s are fixed unless a country decides to break apart. That protects smaller countries from larger ones.

The US's argument in this regard was made weaker by the US led invasion of Iraq in 2003, but the US never made a peep about keeping Iraq for itself. The plan was always to stabilize the situation and get out. Of course it was a country where stabilization was pretty much impossible, but that was the plan.

Bakhmut was originally part of an operation to trap a bunch of Ukrainians between Irpin and Bakhmut. With the fall of Irpin, Bakhmut became strategically useless, but the Russians have continued their attempt at an offensive. They are throwing away lives for a target of no military importance on its own.

Russian othodox 'church' .........

That clarifies some things. I had read that about the Independent Ukrainian Orthodox Church, but thought it was called the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. This clears some confusion.

I was thinking about the People's Front of Judea vs the Judean People's Front from The Life of Brian reading it. In this case there is a real distinction between the two.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
"The US's argument in this regard was made weaker by the US led invasion of Iraq in 2003, but the US never made a peep about keeping Iraq for itself. The plan was always to stabilize the situation and get out. Of course it was a country where stabilization was pretty much impossible, but that was the plan."
wdolson

OMG, there was a plan. And this whole time I though we were just being idiots.

I think this pretty much sums US up.

Reactions: madodel
Bakhmut is hardly useless, it is a key logistical point and if Ukraine wants to move across the canal and river they will have a much longer route to attack.

Besides it is part of donbass and politically important. Stupid but not pointless. For Ukraine it is more useful than for russia.

We all understand the oil and gas situation, you may or may not be aware you are arguing with a poster that has decades in the space. If @petit_bateau says it probably has little value than that's likely the industry will view it just like that. The world will be awash in hydrocarbons in just few years. Longer term production will favor lowest cost producers, SA cost is something less than $10/bbl in many fields if I remember.

It's not that Ukraine won't have valuable energy assets but they are more likely Black Sea offshore wind and onshore solar. They can become a major energy source for Europe and have the nukes to help offset Frances fleet (helps stabilize a continental grid tying Ukraine even closer to europe).

There are no viable technologies for replacing fossil fuels for air and sea transport.
All depends on what size of craft we are talking about and how far it is travelling.

Electric flight seems possible for shorter flights, perhaps short-haul flights.

Hydrogen/ammonia might make some sense in the aircraft space.

There are already some electric ferries, I can't think of a good reason why a lot of pleasure craft and shorter journey fishing vessels can't be electric.

Ammonia is considered by some in the shipping industry as a viable option to power cargo ships.

Replacing gas which is used to make ammonia/hydrogen/fertilisers seems possible.

It all depends on whether or not we are talking about "zero" / "significantly less than today" / " a lot less than today".

After the war, I can see Elon discussing the possibility of launching rockets from a site in Ukraine.

Rather than the fossil fuel industry, the ideal situation would be for Ukraine to get into renewable energy, batteries, EVs, IT, tech and space industries.

They have already demonstrated some ability in the tech space, they will have many of the needed raw materials.

Yes, I first learned about the oil and gas reseerves from this terrific documentary that came out right after the invasion:

IIRC, much of the documentary was created before the invasion and it was released in the following days. IMO it is still the best source of information for what this war is really about.

Reactions: wdolson