Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason I haven't fully understood, the Russian army practices withdrawals.
We discussed this previously. In the early part of WW2 during and after Operation Barbarossa, the Soviet Union needlessly lost millions of troops because they did not withdrawal properly and kept getting encircled. Over and over and over again. As I said before, I'm not rooting for Russia in the current conflict (far from it) but I am encouraged to see that my fellow Homo Sapiens finally learned from their ghastly mistakes.

We discussed this previously. In the early part of WW2 during and after Operation Barbarossa, the Soviet Union needlessly lost millions of troops because they did not withdrawal properly and kept getting encircled. Over and over and over again. As I said before, I'm not rooting for Russia in the current conflict (far from it) but I am encouraged to see that my fellow Homo Sapiens finally learned from their ghastly mistakes.

That does make sense.

I too am with the Ukrainians on this, but Russia is learning here and there. The Ukrainians are doing better at learning and adapting, but Russia is learning too.

Nice overview of Russian trench fortifications

The Russians are building a lot of trenches, but do they have enough men to mount a good defense? Empty trench lines are pretty easy to deal with. Clear out the mines, fill in enough trenches to get your units through and keep going.

The Russians have been putting a lot of faith in dragon's teeth to stop tanks, but they are not installing them correctly. A tank with a dozer blade will be through the dragon's teeth in a minute.

Because it is not politically safe for a commander to admit to Moscow how high their casualties are, there have been a lot of lying about casualties. Moscow may think a lot of units are close to full strength when they are really under 50%. Those units will have a hard time holding a defensive line when hit by the Ukrainians.

The Russians are relying on most of the troops surviving the breaching of the first line of trenches and having the ability to fall back to the next line. If the Ukrainians have learned breakthrough tactics well, they will be racing to outrun the Russians to the next trenchline and if they beat them, the next line will be easy to breach and they can keep going as long as supply holds out.

The Russians have also built extensive trench lines along the Russian border. I assume they have troops manning those trenches. Those troops will be out of the fight like the large French force on the Maginot Line in May 1940. They were expecting the Germans to try and come straight across the French-German border, even though Germany didn't do that in 1914. The French built an extensive fort system to repel the Germans that ended up seeing very little action. The French abandoned the Line when the Germans started getting around behind them.

I'm certain the Ukrainians will not try and take any Russian territory, so any Russian troops dedicated to defending the border with Ukraine will be out of the fight and useless for the offensive.

I don’t see how they have the front line forces to man the trenches either. Especially the ones On The Russian border.

They have also installed trenches on the wrong face of hills etc.

Russians are great at using minefields, something they practice and Ukraine has lost many vehicles to Russian mines. Frankly that is the most effective defensive tool they have. They know how to use them.

Not with NATO-supplied ammo, it wouldn't. :p

Perhaps that argument is true, but it grates on me that RUSS can invade another country and turn it into rubble while crying 'Nukes !!' if they get an iota of misery.

And more importantly, respecting their border as sacrosanct just invites more aggression. Countries or people, the way to handle a bully is to bloody its nose. UKR would do well to not specifically target civilians the way RUSS does, but military infrastructure should be more than fair game. To us armchair quarterbacks it is a war game; to UKR it is a war of survival. I for one would support putting this war on an even(er) playing field.

I don’t see how they have the front line forces to man the trenches either. Especially the ones On The Russian border.

They have also installed trenches on the wrong face of hills etc.

Russians are great at using minefields, something they practice and Ukraine has lost many vehicles to Russian mines. Frankly that is the most effective defensive tool they have. They know how to use them.

I agree, mines have been effective and the Russians have been using a lot of them. I saw the transcript of an interview with a Ukrainian combat engineer and the questions were initially about Russian tanks, specifically whether the engineer was more worried about older tanks with ERA or newer tanks without. The engineer wasn't that worried about either because he rarely saw Russian tanks. His two biggest concerns were Russian artillery and Russian mines.

One thing the west has been providing lately that has largely slipped under the radar is mine clearing equipment. Among these are the mine clearing charges used to clear a lot of mines in one go. It's an explosive line that is shot out from a mine clearing tank that can be over 100 m long. When set off it explodes all mines within a few meters on each side of the rope. Mine dozer plows for tanks are also being provided. These are two outwardly angled blades that mount on the front of a tank and they either set off or push mines out of the way of the tank. I believe an array of mine detecting equipment has also been provided.

In the opening phases of the assault, these mine clearing vehicles are used to clears channels through the minefields the rest of the vehicles will use to get through.

One thing I haven't seen the Russians use much is barbed wire. Barbed wire in front of trenches and other fortified positions make it more difficult to attack those positions. Without wire unmounted infantry can get close to the trenches much more easily.

Once the trenches are cleared of enemy troops, getting vehicles across them requires another type of engineering vehicle. One is a bridge layer that deploys a complete bridge across the trench, but those are better kept in reserve for bridging streams. The other tool is a large bundle of sticks or pipe that is mounted on a tank. The tank pulls up to the trench and releases the pipe which falls into the trench making it easily passable by vehicles. The British ARVE corps pioneered this in WW II with bundles of sticks, but pipe is most often used now.

Then the Russians have the option of redeploying those men on the Russ/UKR border to trenches further west

Because the Russians have the outside lines in this war, shifting troops from the north to some other part of the line takes time. Moving at their fastest getting troops from the Kharkhiv area around to Mariopol is going to take a week at minimum. If the Ukrainians are doing things right, they won't have a week.

Getting into Crimea will be tough for the Ukrainians, so they might be able to move them around into Crimea in time, but Ukraine could turn Crimea into a large encirclement fairly easily. With Ukraine pushing at the land access points in the north and on the Azoz Sea coast further east, they can interdict supply into Crimea to a point where the Russian navy bringing it into southern ports that will potentially be under HIMARS fire will be their only supply route open to them. Supply into Crimea will drop to a trickle. Crimea at that point could turn into more of a trap for Russia than an asset.

Perhaps that argument is true, but it grates on me that RUSS can invade another country and turn it into rubble while crying 'Nukes !!' if they get an iota of misery.

And more importantly, respecting their border as sacrosanct just invites more aggression. Countries or people, the way to handle a bully is to bloody its nose. UKR would do well to not specifically target civilians the way RUSS does, but military infrastructure should be more than fair game. To us armchair quarterbacks it is a war game; to UKR it is a war of survival. I for one would support putting this war on an even(er) playing field.

Ukraine has attacked military assets in Russia many times. Things like the attack on the strategic bombers made headlines, but they have attacked military facilities around Belgorad many times. Lobbing some mortar shells at Russian trenches on the border around Kharkhiv might be part of the plan to keep the Russians pinned down in the north while the attack in the south of east develops.

1682658149379.png

Chris’s_wiki has a funny short thread on a colonel attested for selling t90 engines to the Ukraine. His nickname was Thomas 😂

Last edited:
The missile attacks are getting less frequent, but they still happen.

The missile attacks are horrible, absolutely, so no one take my next line as anything such. Missiles used on civilians like this are plain stupid on Russia's part, they have limited long-range munitions and are using them on non-military targets, only cementing the resolve of the citizens, politicians, western allies, and pretty much everyone else. Any Russian commander with an IQ over 80 would know to use those munitions on military targets . . . you know, the guys shooting back at you.