Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ukraine says the story is false.

We sent it to a country at war, being rained on by dozens of missiles nightly, intended for use in that war, so I am not sure that we expected to get it back? I admit I'm confused by your question.
Personally, I'm rather more upset at the people raining all those missiles down on Ukraine. Perhaps others have a more thoughtfully considered view as to where to direct their ire about the mass loss of life in the unprovoked invasion by Russia.
For me, the question I've wrestled with the most is "why does Russia want to become another North Korea?" This has bothered me since the invasion started. Who would want to be the next awful pariah, weak economy, poor starving populace paranoid country with no future other than fear and mass suffering? Putin knew it was going to happen, surely.
Last week, I finally had an epiphany of sorts on that. Putin is fine with Russia becoming the next North Korea... as long as he gets to be the Kim Jong Un.
Finally it made some sense.

Putin believed he was going to be able to capture Ukraine and all he would face would be some condemnation from the west and some sanctions. Russia partially occupied Moldova after the fall of the USSR, then Putin invaded Georgia in 2008 with just words and some sanctions. Next he took the Donbas and Crimea with more of the same. Trump had done quite a bit to weaken NATO during his term and the US had an elderly president who everyone was saying was senile.

Putin thought he was going to be able to capture Ukraine in a quick campaign and then would be able to hold on through the condemnations. When Ukraine held on through the first few days, the war was lost for Russia. From that point on it's been just trying to hold it all together for Russia.

I wonder if the U.S. is upset at the loss of this $1B asset.
The loss, if it was part of a Patriot Battery, is nowhere near $1B or even the $400M figure which some sources are quoting. The video and frame grabs from the attack show 2 MAN trucks and a small support vehicle. Ukraine uses the same MAN trucks for other purposes so it's not 100% certain they had Patriot launchers on them, but if they did the loss would have been 2 quad launchers and 8 missiles if they were fully loaded. Missiles are $4-7M a piece and the launchers are a relatively small cost compared to the radar/control hardware. If the were fully armed launchers I'd say the loss was around $100-150M plus 6-8 personnel. It takes up to 90 personnel to operate a Patriot Battery so although this is a sad loss if true it's not as bad as some are making out.

The loss, if it was part of a Patriot Battery, is nowhere near $1B or even the $400M figure which some sources are quoting. The video and frame grabs from the attack show 2 MAN trucks and a small support vehicle. Ukraine uses the same MAN trucks for other purposes so it's not 100% certain they had Patriot launchers on them, but if they did the loss would have been 2 quad launchers and 8 missiles if they were fully loaded. Missiles are $4-7M a piece and the launchers are a relatively small cost compared to the radar/control hardware. If the were fully armed launchers I'd say the loss was around $100-150M plus 6-8 personnel. It takes up to 90 personnel to operate a Patriot Battery so although this is a sad loss if true it's not as bad as some are making out.
If it is a Patriot system....is it possible that there would be foreign technical advisers with it ?

Patriot system is not intended to be used near the front line, where cheap drones can spot them and make it an easy target.
OK, I can see that, but I have a lot of trouble second guessing any tactic Ukraine uses. Analogous to how many investors criticize Tesla for certain decisions: they (Tesla or Ukraine) have far more information than us, far more timely information than us, and are the ones who face the very real consequences of poor decisions. We applaud many of their unique unconventional decisions here. I do not put that much value on a lot of the Monday-morning quarterbacking that I see from the relevant forums.
Case in point: the many unexpected shoot downs of Russian warplanes in the last couple months. If indeed this Patriot shot those down, is it possibly worth the battery's risk? To me, that call HAS to be Ukraine's. They are well aware of the scarcity of air defense over their cities, and well aware what those aviation bombs are costing their front lines. IMO we don't have anywhere near enough information to evaluate the wisdom of their tactical decisions here.

Case in point: the many unexpected shoot downs of Russian warplanes in the last couple months. If indeed this Patriot shot those down, is it possibly worth the battery's risk? To me, that call HAS to be Ukraine's. They are well aware of the scarcity of air defense over their cities, and well aware what those aviation bombs are costing their front lines. IMO we don't have anywhere near enough information to evaluate the wisdom of their tactical decisions here.
I think Russia just got lucky with this one, whatever was on the back of the trucks. The story is a drone op spotted them and called in a missile strike. Questions remaining unanswered are:
1. Where was the rest of the Battery/crew? It certainly wasn't in the immediate vicinity looking at the video released.
2. Why were they stopped on the road long enough for the missile to arrive there? It would have taken several minutes from when the drone op called it in.
3. Why have the Russians continued with the story that it was an S-300 they hit? Surely they'd love to claim a Patriot hit?

Also, it's only the Russians saying Patriot has been downing their aircraft, the Il-76 with all the pretend UKR POWs on board being the highest profile one. The recent Tu-22M3 and A-50s were downed with modified S-200 missiles, which is a much more cost-effective and longer range option with less risk when operating close to the front line. As said above, they wouldn't risk putting a Patriot anywhere near the front line.

Bottom line is, of course, we can't really take information from any side at face value. We may never know for sure what got destroyed.

If it is a Patriot system....is it possible that there would be foreign technical advisers with it ?
Anything's possible and it's more likely than not IMO there are engineers/operators from NATO countries helping with some of the more complex assets. Another question we may never get a true answer to.

Hopefully the invaders paid dearly for the little gains.
Quote:
The commander-in-chief of Ukraine's armed forces said Sunday Kyiv's position on the frontline had deteriorated and that Russia had made a number of recent battlefield gains.

Russia's troops have gone back on the offensive this year, capitalizing on an advantage in manpower and arms to press forward, particularly in the eastern Donetsk region.

"The situation at the front has worsened," Oleksandr Syrsky said in a Facebook post Sunday.

He said Ukrainian troops had "retreated" to new defensive lines further to the west in some areas, conceding the loss of territory to the advancing Russians.

"The enemy has concentrated its main efforts in several sectors, creating a significant advantage in forces and means," he said.

Russia had secured "tactical successes in some sectors," he admitted.

U.S. pays $20K each for old soviet combat aircraft. Possibly to use for spare parts or decoys.

The Ukrainians still have MiG-29s and Su-24/25s. Buying those from Kazakhstan will help keep those flying. With the other aircraft there might be enough working parts between them to cobble together some operational aircraft.

Video says Russia will be quick to use tactical nukes on the battlefield. One possible solution is not to give them a clear target of concentrated troops.

I thought the goal is for Russia to fall on its own sword when either the troops come back home to roost or there are no more troops left to maintain or wage war and the women of Russia take over.

Reactions: SwedishAdvocate