Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

There are sources that track the war in a lot of detail from satellite, video and photo evidence with geo-location.

They are struggling to keep up with the work load:-

So if people have the time to wade through it, there is a lot of online information, and Ukrainian government and journalist clams can be partially fact-checked.

Some Russian claims can also be verified.

But this eventually just gets us someone else like Putin.

I'm more bold in my wants - I want an uprising of the Russian people and in that revolution the people gut the FSB and all other organizations in Russia of similar ilk that prevent the spread of democracy for the people.

Ya know . . . since we are putting our wish lists out there. ;)

The ideal scenario for both Russia long term and the world would be for the Navalny faction to come to power, but nobody in the current power structure would allow that. The only scenario I see where a pro-democracy movement comes to power in Russia is if there is a civil war like the Russian Revolution and the pro-democracy faction is the last one standing.

Another scenario is a break up of Russia.

Sounds really biased, as there is no scenario in which Russia wins and sanctions are lifted. At least I personally cancel Russia until they pay reparations and give independence to clearly Ukrainan regions (up to local vote if necessary). Furthermore, RF should remain sanctioned as long as they do not allow freedom of speech and protest to their own population.

My analysis since the beginning of the war has been congruent with the commentators like this guy. I have not seen a scenario for a Russian win in this war short of wiping Ukraine from the map with nukes from the first day of the war. The Russians did not bring a large enough force to hold Ukraine even if they did beat the AFU on the battlefield. The Ukrainians were prepared form day 1 to have a full on insurgency if Russia managed to take over. You can't win an insurgency unless you have enough boots on the ground and the Russian army doesn't have enough boots (literally from what we have subsequently found out about their shortages).

Russia is a fourth rate military power with a second rate array of military hardware. They have lots of equipment, but it's been badly maintained and that is coming back to haunt them. Their training is abysmal.

In 2012 they restructured their frontline combat forces around the flexible Battalion Tactical Group (BTG) concept. Each BTG is a little packet of combined arms that is supposedly able to handle any task. A well trained western military that constantly drills could have pulled this off. It's the ideal structure for a country like the Netherlands with a small but very professional army.

But the Russians are abysmal at training and they never trained the troops to use this unit structure. As a result they have gone blundering into Ukraine without a clue what they were doing. The entire BTG concept is completely wrong for the training level of their military. Some of the elite units like the airborne troops and the special units they sent to Syria can manage this structure, but those units are mostly hollowed out now. It's estimated the Marine units that fought in the north took 90% casualties. The airborne units took high losses too, mostly wasted in penny packet attempts to seize things like air fields on day 1.

Now they are feeding in green recruits (they did their twice yearly conscription round early this year) and reservists who are not trained like western reservists. Western armies have regular training for reservists, Russia doesn't. Their large reserve is just people who were conscripts and were released from their year of service within the last couple of years. They have not been anywhere near anything military since getting out. What they did learn is now rusty and many are probably out of physical shape.

That's the troops that are going to be fed into Donbas to try and secure that region.

Another factor is the Russian truck shortage. They had a substantially fewer number of cargo trucks than they should have at the beginning of this war. The ratio of frontline combat vehicles to trucks was much lower than any western army. They also are very heavy on rocket artillery and tanks, both of which use massive amounts of supply per unit. The Ukrainians have been taking out Russian trucks at a steady rate combined with losses from breakdowns.

There is an American who rose to prominence when he explained why Russian truck tires were failing. He's and expert on military trucks, especially tires. In a later article he talked about his experiences rehabbing US trucks in 2004-2008 that had worn out in Iraq. He made the point that in war truck wear rate goes up 10X to 20X. The US is hyper about truck maintenance as well as resting drivers, but the trucks were wearing out at a frightening rate. 1 year into the war many trucks looked 20 years old and were completely worn out.

He estimated the Russians will be completely out of trucks by the end of April. No trucks, no supply, no supply, no ability to do anything except dig in and die of starvation. They started the war with a shortage of trucks, at this point they have a critical shortage of trucks, in another month they will have virtually none left.

Russia massively miscalculated and started a war they could not win short of nuking Ukraine until it glows.

Wonder if Ukraine should switch to decentralized government so that it becomes no longer possible to install a puppet government. This way they will fight as long as they have a collective will.

I'm sure they had plans for that from the beginning. At this point they probably don't need to worry. Short of a nuke on Kyiv the government is safe.

If Zelensky is killed he will become a martyr and the Ukrainians will just fight harder. He's known that from the beginning.

Ok, then it's maybe just ramblings of an old man.

Sometimes old men have something wise to say.

Posted by @lafrisbee in the main thread with the following note:

The 40 km convoy that was stagnant...
yeah Starlink did that...
So 30-40 Techniks and their quad moto-bikes were able to utilize Starlink to stop the convoy and ruin hitler's plans. I meant Pootin.
mentions Starlink after the 9 minute mark.

If the US wants to make a difference, giving these guys some funding/equipment should help.

Ukraine might be able to train up multiple squads.

Just saw this on LinkedIn according to Ronald Unz the author of this piece the war is all Zelensky’s fault as he is America’s puppet🤦🏼‍♂️. Having researched R.Unz he’s clearly a *sugar* stirrer of a world class level, a Putin paid zealot maybe.

Just saw this on LinkedIn according to Ronald Unz the author of this piece the war is all Zelensky’s fault as he is America’s puppet🤦🏼‍♂️. Having researched R.Unz he’s clearly a *sugar* stirrer of a world class level, a Putin paid zealot maybe.

I did a little bit of searching and there are stories about Zelensky making attempts to resolve the issues with Russia and deescalate. Unz is a highly questionable source. I think somebody posted when he was brought up before that he has worked for RT.

This whole thing about being bipartisan or coming to a peaceful solution. That only works if both sides are making the attempt. If one side is dead set on screwing over the other no matter what, the chances of a resolution are very low.

Many years ago when I was in high school we had a class retreat and one of the things we did was a game. I forget the exact rules now, but we were divided up into 10 or so teams of 4 and each round each team would vote A or B. The scoring went something along the lines that if everyone team voted A, everyone would get 10 points. If one team voted B, but the others all voted A, the one team voting B would get 50 points and all the other teams would lose 50 points. If there was any other mix, everyone lost points. Every 5th round a representative from each team would meet and come to an agreement about how their teams would vote, but you could always lie.

We went something like 50 rounds and the entire class lost points every time. The teacher who was conducting the exercise said that they had been doing that game for 25 years and our class was the worst scores they had ever seen. Every other class realized eventually that everyone gains if everyone works together. But my class was only one who never figured it out. I was negotiator for my team and tried to point out why everyone was losing during the meetings, but nobody paid any attention to me.

One of the hallmarks of a serious personality disorder is lack of compassion. Putin shows signs of having an Anti-Social Personality Disorder with some sign of a narcissistic PD. A bad combination. (Donald Trump ticks every box for being a Malignant Narcissist, the worst form of Narcissistic PD with some Anti-Social.) My partner knows personality disorders too well. Her mother was a Borderline and her ex-brother-in-law was an Anti-Social PD. She also has a Master in Psychology. We've had a lot of discussions about Putin's Psychology lately.

The only way to get an Anti-Social PD person to do the right thing is to scare them. Make it clear that doing the right thing is the best thing for them. If they think breaking the rules will give them an advantage, they will break the rules and not give it a second thought. They often like breaking the rules and are proud of it.

With a world leader, the levers to make them behave are not as wide spread as a common perp in the legal system. Especially not for a world leader with nukes. Zelensky got nowhere trying to resolve the issues with Russia because Putin had no interest in dealing fairly.

The ideal scenario for both Russia long term and the world would be for the Navalny faction to come to power, but nobody in the current power structure would allow that. The only scenario I see where a pro-democracy movement comes to power in Russia is if there is a civil war like the Russian Revolution and the pro-democracy faction is the last one standing.

Another scenario is a break up of Russia.

My analysis since the beginning of the war has been congruent with the commentators like this guy. I have not seen a scenario for a Russian win in this war short of wiping Ukraine from the map with nukes from the first day of the war. The Russians did not bring a large enough force to hold Ukraine even if they did beat the AFU on the battlefield. The Ukrainians were prepared form day 1 to have a full on insurgency if Russia managed to take over. You can't win an insurgency unless you have enough boots on the ground and the Russian army doesn't have enough boots (literally from what we have subsequently found out about their shortages).

Russia is a fourth rate military power with a second rate array of military hardware. They have lots of equipment, but it's been badly maintained and that is coming back to haunt them. Their training is abysmal.

In 2012 they restructured their frontline combat forces around the flexible Battalion Tactical Group (BTG) concept. Each BTG is a little packet of combined arms that is supposedly able to handle any task. A well trained western military that constantly drills could have pulled this off. It's the ideal structure for a country like the Netherlands with a small but very professional army.

But the Russians are abysmal at training and they never trained the troops to use this unit structure. As a result they have gone blundering into Ukraine without a clue what they were doing. The entire BTG concept is completely wrong for the training level of their military. Some of the elite units like the airborne troops and the special units they sent to Syria can manage this structure, but those units are mostly hollowed out now. It's estimated the Marine units that fought in the north took 90% casualties. The airborne units took high losses too, mostly wasted in penny packet attempts to seize things like air fields on day 1.

Now they are feeding in green recruits (they did their twice yearly conscription round early this year) and reservists who are not trained like western reservists. Western armies have regular training for reservists, Russia doesn't. Their large reserve is just people who were conscripts and were released from their year of service within the last couple of years. They have not been anywhere near anything military since getting out. What they did learn is now rusty and many are probably out of physical shape.

That's the troops that are going to be fed into Donbas to try and secure that region.

Another factor is the Russian truck shortage. They had a substantially fewer number of cargo trucks than they should have at the beginning of this war. The ratio of frontline combat vehicles to trucks was much lower than any western army. They also are very heavy on rocket artillery and tanks, both of which use massive amounts of supply per unit. The Ukrainians have been taking out Russian trucks at a steady rate combined with losses from breakdowns.

There is an American who rose to prominence when he explained why Russian truck tires were failing. He's and expert on military trucks, especially tires. In a later article he talked about his experiences rehabbing US trucks in 2004-2008 that had worn out in Iraq. He made the point that in war truck wear rate goes up 10X to 20X. The US is hyper about truck maintenance as well as resting drivers, but the trucks were wearing out at a frightening rate. 1 year into the war many trucks looked 20 years old and were completely worn out.

He estimated the Russians will be completely out of trucks by the end of April. No trucks, no supply, no supply, no ability to do anything except dig in and die of starvation. They started the war with a shortage of trucks, at this point they have a critical shortage of trucks, in another month they will have virtually none left.

Russia massively miscalculated and started a war they could not win short of nuking Ukraine until it glows.
Also looks like Russians are not using pallets, and trucks don't have those automatic lifts at the back. Instead all ammo is in boxes..

That's a nightmare to load and unload, has to be done by hand, box by box. Will take ages. Imagine the difference between that, and a pallet + pump cart + lift setup.

Then President Trump tried five years ago to warn the European countries, especially Germany, about becoming too dependent on Russian oil and gas by shutting down their nuke and coal plants too early. (*) He warned against the Nordstream II pipeline and did what he could to stall its construction. (Undone by Biden on his first day in office...) And yes, he was also wanting the other members of NATO to pay their fair share - which they had been shirking for decades at U.S. taxpayer expense. If they would have paid their fair share, this would allow NATO to be an even more powerful deterrent to Russia.

If you don't believe me, there are videos on youtube of him making these statements when meeting with the NATO leaders back then. Doesn't sound like a "Putin puppet" to me. Unless, of course one believes the discredited Steele Dossier which was pushed by CNN/MSNBC/etc during his entire presidency. The Steele Dossier was absolutely Russian disinformation.

Now all of the sudden, various NATO countries have started talking about honoring their 2% of GDP commitment. They've also stopped the Nordstream II pipeline. Just as President Trump was trying to get them to do. And it will be interesting to see if some of the nuke capability can be brought back on line for a while - until they get their renewable act together.

(*) For the record, I'm a big proponent of solar, and to some extent nuke - though less than I used to be. I also dislike burning coal for any reason. But there are only so many manufacturing facilities for solar and batteries. It takes time to scale. So from a pragmatic point of view, we need to keep existing facilities on line until they can be economically replaced. Elon, for one, seems to have the same attitude WRT nuke. Glad he agrees with me. :D
👍
Then President Trump tried five years ago to warn the European countries, especially Germany, about becoming too dependent on Russian oil and gas by shutting down their nuke and coal plants too early. (*) He warned against the Nordstream II pipeline and did what he could to stall its construction. (Undone by Biden on his first day in office...) And yes, he was also wanting the other members of NATO to pay their fair share - which they had been shirking for decades at U.S. taxpayer expense. If they would have paid their fair share, this would allow NATO to be an even more powerful deterrent to Russia.

If you don't believe me, there are videos on youtube of him making these statements when meeting with the NATO leaders back then. Doesn't sound like a "Putin puppet" to me. Unless, of course one believes the discredited Steele Dossier which was pushed by CNN/MSNBC/etc during his entire presidency. The Steele Dossier was absolutely Russian disinformation.

Now all of the sudden, various NATO countries have started talking about honoring their 2% of GDP commitment. They've also stopped the Nordstream II pipeline. Just as President Trump was trying to get them to do. And it will be interesting to see if some of the nuke capability can be brought back on line for a while - until they get their renewable act together.

(*) For the record, I'm a big proponent of solar, and to some extent nuke - though less than I used to be. I also dislike burning coal for any reason. But there are only so many manufacturing facilities for solar and batteries. It takes time to scale. So from a pragmatic point of view, we need to keep existing facilities on line until they can be economically replaced. Elon, for one, seems to have the same attitude WRT nuke. Glad he agrees with me. :D
👍

I did a little bit of searching and there are stories about Zelensky making attempts to resolve the issues with Russia and deescalate. Unz is a highly questionable source. I think somebody posted when he was brought up before that he has worked for RT.
Zelensky was the dewy-eyed peace candidate in the 2019 election, expected to lose to the more hawkish and experienced Poroshenko. When Zelensky won - by a very convincing 73% vs 25% - he attempted to carry through his peace-kumbaya policy and reach a rapprochement with Russia. Putin refused to engage with someone he discovered could not be bought and could not be browbeaten, and instead Putin tried to belittle him.

(Credit is due to Poroshenko as he has recognised that Zelensky is the real deal when it comes to Ukraine sovereignty, and Poroshenko has now thrown all his weight behind Zelensky)

It is worth reading his wiki bio if you have a genuine interest in Ukraine politics - then go and read the ones for Poroshenko, Saakashvilli, Yuschenko, Tymoschenko, Yanukovych, etc.

I think another major reason why countries like to join NATO is so they can DECREASE their military spending and use tax dollars to focus on other things like education and infrastructure. Only 5 countries in NATO actually adhere to the agreement of min 2% of their GDP must be spent on defense. Most countries just mooch off what the US provides which is enough firepower to ward of an alien invasion. Essentially you sign a piece of paper that bought you the most powerful military on earth for chump change. You just can't use it for any offensive needs but it's one hell of an insurance policy that's too good to pass up.

This is one of the main talking points from Americans(like Trump) against NATO as it does seem like we are providing this awesome insurance policy for all members but many are freeloaders not spending their promised share.
while political views, in the US especially, equate % of GNP spent on arms is the only metric, there are numerous other factors beyond “peace through superior firepower”. Still the US shares a major objective with several other countries, selling arms. In the paraphrased immortal warning of Dwight D. Eisenhower “beware the military-industrial complex”.

NATO membership is much more than mere firepower. It is a chosen alliance of shared goals. NATO has much in common with the EU or the new Silk Road. Each is mostly funded by the wealthiest nation in the alliance and each possesses major benefits for participants. In each there is self-serving complaint in the major donor country that others are not paying their fair share.

Transparently, the benefits to the major donor are enormous, not least in generating stable exports and imports.

Yep, all Zelenskyy's fault for failing to come to an agreement with a murderous narcissistic psychopath. He's such a loser.

while political views, in the US especially, equate % of GNP spent on arms is the only metric, there are numerous other factors beyond “peace through superior firepower”. Still the US shares a major objective with several other countries, selling arms. In the paraphrased immortal warning of Dwight D. Eisenhower “beware the military-industrial complex”.

NATO membership is much more than mere firepower. It is a chosen alliance of shared goals. NATO has much in common with the EU or the new Silk Road. Each is mostly funded by the wealthiest nation in the alliance and each possesses major benefits for participants. In each there is self-serving complaint in the major donor country that others are not paying their fair share.

Transparently, the benefits to the major donor are enormous, not least in generating stable exports and imports.
There are genuine economic reasons why joininh NATO ought to result in a decline in defence spending:
- you get under the NATO nuclear umbrella (US/FR/UK) and because nuclear forces are cheaper than conventional forces (a very little understood fact) you benefit;
- access to better weapons/etc than in a go-it-alone scenario for a given level of R&D;
- access to doctrine, training, intelligence, C&C, etc etc;

Regarding current status this is about right imho

Note that Ukraine is not showing any of the requisite capability to conduct the level of heavy armour manoeuvre warfare that would enable them to break up the solidifying front-line. This means that this is likely to turn into a war of attrition where (historically) the West has not had the strategic patience to outlast Putin's Russia (witness Georgia, 2024 Ukraine, Syria, Libya, Mali). Expect Russia to ask for ceasefires every time they want a breather to regroup for the next cycle. Vital to prevent Ukraine airforce from being attrited to point of in-effectiveness - this cannot be overemphasised. They will need the planes, the medium-range SAM systems, and the missiles for the planes.

It is important for Ukraine to try and retake Kherson before the lines fully solidify as only then can they truly try to relieve Maripol. Likeswise need to retake Hostomel area to resolve the thrust from N towards Kiev; and Brovary area to resolve thrust from E. Otherwise KIev remains threatened (a coup de main problem) and either thrust could result in a link-up with the southern thrust in a mega-encirclement. There is a lot of heavy fighting to go, and it would likely go easier if it could be done before the Russians have dug in and soludfied their front lines.

Trump tried to gut funding for Ukraine
Banker for Trump has fled the USA so she won't be arrested
Trump met with Putin in Helsinki and said he trusted Putin more than his own intelligence services- who had said Putin wants to invade Ukraine
Trump had the KGB country chief to the Oval Office in his first day of visits
Trump had KGB agents helping on his campaign.
Trump tried to pull the USA out of NATO
Trump did pull our heavy armored division out

He's dual citizenship, but your statement is only partially correct.

"most" sure they can't travel internationally. But the % of those able to travel internationally had been climbing steadily over the past 20 years. Now, it has been greatly set back, not just by financial constraints (sanctions), but by practical constraints (nearly no one is flying into/out of Russia).
That is what may seem to be true. Check out Yerevan, even Minsk, and the other ‘Stan’s. Well educated citizens of Russia are still leaving in large numbers, but the ones with access to far distance countries or nearby EU member or candidate have already gone.
Many people still do jobs in Russia from abroad, thanks to VPN, VoIP and pretty good internet access, even now.

That could change quickly, but probably will not.
Stopping that also would stop MIR the Russian ATM and payment system that links to UnionPay which then links to the ostensibly blocked MC and V networks.

Simplistic solutions do not really work. Remember that Russia still services foreign debt. Remember that Russian banks still have access to SWIFT, ostensibly to process payments for exports of oil and gas. Don’t believe everything you hear about imminent collapse.

Russia goes through periodic austerity, often self imposed. That does not necessarily produce revolution or regime change, although it sometimes does.

Two rules:
- Don’t necessarily believe that foreign observers know what is happening.
- Never imagine that an emigrant knows more about what is happening in their former country than anybody else. Emigrants almost always see their former country in a negative light. Their children and grandchildren often see the former country nostalgically.

Russia may be about to face regime change and may not be . Nobody knows. Nobody!
Whatever happens Russia will probably never have a stable democracy.

Russia has quite the border... Their border to Mongolia for example seems to be a rather long one. That seems to be a decent Democracy. Would it be impossible to cross the border to Mongolia? And then fly out from there...
Check these. They are thriving with crowds of Russia-employed IT people, doing their jobs.
visa not required for Russians. Similar ones in several other nearby countries. Those who haven’t another passport have gone to these places:

in context, many major Russian businesses established non -ru websites mirrored to the domestic -ru ones more than a decade back. Smart Russian businesses plan and prepare for contingencies.

a few posts back I showed how the international money moves, legally. There are sound reasons why entities that serviced the USSR know how to adapt.

like it or not. This is reality.
in the meantime if in doubt try to make a reservation at the Moscow St. The St. Regis Moscow Nikolskaya | Moscow, Russian Federation
if the price is too steep you can use your Marriott points.

Please, don’t accept the FUD that the Putin regime is about to fail.
It probably isn’t.

That said , the IT crisis and import deficits are indeed real. There are distinct limits to the porosity of borders. The intelligentsia mostly is opposed to the war.

"
Ukrainian Air Force spokesman, Colonel Yuri Ignat, told to Reuters on Saturday (March 26) the country's pilots had trained for years and conducted joint exercises with U.S. pilots precisely because "we understood that there could be such a scenario". Ukraine now needs fighter jets such as American F-15s and F-16s to supplement Ukraine's ageing Soviet-era MiG-29s and Sukhoi planes, he said, in order to overcome Russia's numerical and technological superiority in the air.

"We are fighting with the equipment of the '70s and '80s, they are fighting with the equipment of 2010 and later," Ignat said.

"We would be grateful for the Soviet-made equipment offered to us by the countries of Central Europe which still have it. But it will not be enough," he said, referring to the offer by neighbouring Poland earlier this month to transfer its Russian-made MiG-29 fighter jets to a U.S. base in Germany as a way to replenish Ukraine's air force in its defence against invading Russian forces.

The United States rejected the offer by Poland.

“Give Ukraine weapons, you don't have to fight for us. We don't ask to close the sky anymore. Give us weapons, we will defend ourselves,” Ignat said.

A Ukrainian fighter pilot, known by his Air Force call sign “Juice”, spoke to Reuters from the cockpit of his plane. “We are taught that we need to be very creative. We need to be tactically flexible,” he said. “This jet is very capable. It's very manoeuvrable. And everyone just love loves it. But unfortunately, now it's not - it is absolutely not - effective against Russian jets, Russian fighter jets,” he said. “The main problem for us is not the tactics. It's just zero equipment…the problem is technology,” he added.
"