Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guys tasked with draining the pools Ananenko and Bezpalov waded through radioactive water to get to the valves. This is a good example of what I mean when talking about fear of radiation- these guys took some serious doses of radiation, but lived the rest of their lives without issue. That report said they were alive as of 2021, and had continued working in the nuclear industry.
So I did a quick search for info on these guys - Anenko and his wife fled Kiev last year - he looks really healthy from the picture (don't know how recent, but in the last few years), but apparently he was in a bad car accident and his wife is taking care of him. Funny how driving ended up being more dangerous than nuclear...

So I did a quick search for info on these guys - Anenko and his wife fled Kiev last year - he looks really healthy from the picture (don't know how recent, but in the last few years), but apparently he was in a bad car accident and his wife is taking care of him. Funny how driving ended up being more dangerous than nuclear...

An entertaining anecdote. Reminds me of the famous uncle who smoked two packs a day and lived into his nineties, brought forward as an argument that smoking can't be so dangerous after all. Easy to fall for this fallacy when it helps to confirm an opinion already held.

Every exposure to radiation increases the cancer risk. Regions affected by Chernobyl fallout have higher rates of birth defects in addition to statistically significant increased cancer risk. Unlike a flood, which kills immediately, the full effect emerges only after decades. But where a flood recedes after a short while, radioactively contaminated land remains uninhabitable and is not available for agriculture for decades.

That reduces the odds of effective foreign election interference.
I sure hope so. The real "value" in such an operation is in the heads of the knowledge workers, and its not like they've forgotten how to do what they do. I don't expect that they'll be making unemployment claims.

Do they become more or less dangerous as a result of being scattered? Assuming that they actually do get scattered?

I like Denys’s videos.

After having watched the daily updates by both ‘Denys Davydov’ and ‘Reporting from Ukraine’ for months now I have to disagree. Denys does not seem to have much first-hand info and is commenting on the basis of what happens on someone else’s charts. He is also constantly repeating himself and spending too much time on commercial promotions. ‘Reporting from Ukraine’ seems to be much better informed about what’s going on at the frontline.

Allegedly:

From Voices of the Army
https://twitter.com/SmartUACat
@SmartUACat
on Twitter:

"We are to witness major russian offensive in Kupiansk direction soon.

The units and formations of the 1st tank army, the 6th CAA and a number of units and subunits of the 11th army corps of the Baltic Fleet are concentrated in the Kupyansk direction. Basically best RU units.

This group of forces totals as of Jul. 4, '23
- personnel - 49978
- tanks - up to 417
- AFV's - 648
- artillery systems (100 mm and above) - 342
- MLRS - 125
- SRBM launchers - 6 to 8 units

by Col. Kostiantyn Mashovets [...]

They're already moving. Slowly. And in several directions. E.g. they've improved their tactical positions near Kuzemivka and Torske during last several days."

Several twitter personalities talk about an impending Russian offensive in Lyman Svatove sector. Frankly I have a hard time believing the numbers. 400+tanks would be a quarter of all the working tanks. 40k plus soldiers would be a sure sign that the south is completely brittle. Then there is the small problem with Ukraine being on defense in hilly wooded area cut by swamps and small rivers . I don’t think Russian aviation can overcome that but if you look at the recent map by Andrew Perpetua you can see quite active aviation. Maybe they think it possible? Or it is a massive spoiling attack.

Only 4 months of dry weather to finish an offensive before mud sets lines til January.

An entertaining anecdote. Reminds me of the famous uncle who smoked two packs a day and lived into his nineties, brought forward as an argument that smoking can't be so dangerous after all. Easy to fall for this fallacy when it helps to confirm an opinion already held.

Every exposure to radiation increases the cancer risk. Regions affected by Chernobyl fallout have higher rates of birth defects in addition to statistically significant increased cancer risk. Unlike a flood, which kills immediately, the full effect emerges only after decades. But where a flood recedes after a short while, radioactively contaminated land remains uninhabitable and is not available for agriculture for decades.

There will always be outliers exposed to something carcinogenic who don't get cancer. I've known a few heavy smokers who didn't get cancer, but it did wreck their bodies in other ways.

In Southern Iraq near the Highway of Death from the 1991 war the birth defect rate there has been high for 30 years thanks to the depleted uranium munitions used to shoot up the Iraqi convoy. Some of it may be from radiation, but uranium is chemically toxic too.

After having watched the daily updates by both ‘Denys Davydov’ and ‘Reporting from Ukraine’ for months now I have to disagree. Denys does not seem to have much first-hand info and is commenting on the basis of what happens on someone else’s charts. He is also constantly repeating himself and spending too much time on commercial promotions. ‘Reporting from Ukraine’ seems to be much better informed about what’s going on at the frontline.

I agree, Denys is more entertaining, but Reporting from Ukraine is more accurate. I've also noticed they tend to come out about 8 hours apart. Here in western North America Denys' videos usually hit the web around 4 PM (midnight GMT) and the Reporting from Ukraine posts are usually about midnight (around 8 AM GMT). The reports on casualties from the Ukrainian MoD usually come out about the same time as the Reporting from Ukraine videos.

Allegedly:

From Voices of the Army
https://twitter.com/SmartUACat
@SmartUACat
on Twitter:

"We are to witness major russian offensive in Kupiansk direction soon.

The units and formations of the 1st tank army, the 6th CAA and a number of units and subunits of the 11th army corps of the Baltic Fleet are concentrated in the Kupyansk direction. Basically best RU units.

This group of forces totals as of Jul. 4, '23
- personnel - 49978
- tanks - up to 417
- AFV's - 648
- artillery systems (100 mm and above) - 342
- MLRS - 125
- SRBM launchers - 6 to 8 units

by Col. Kostiantyn Mashovets [...]

They're already moving. Slowly. And in several directions. E.g. they've improved their tactical positions near Kuzemivka and Torske during last several days."

Interesting account.

It could be the Russians are building up for an attempt at an offensive. Russia is repeating a lot of the same mistakes Germany did in WW II. In 1943 when the handwriting was on the wall that the Soviets were getting too strong and switching over to the defensive everywhere was the smart thing to do, the Germans tried to go on the offensive at Kursk and got chewed up and spit out by the Soviets.

It looks like the frontline is about 25 KM from Kupiansk and the ground in between the frontline and Kupiansk is pretty flat and open. With Ukraine's current abilities a concentrated vehicular assault across open ground is pretty much suicide. A Russian assault would likely gain some ground, but the loses would be unsustainably high.

We'll see what happens. If this is true, the Ukrainians have good intel on the Russian force and they are preparing their defense. For Ukraine letting the Russians try to be on the offensive is a good thing. They can sit back in defensive positions and grind down the Russian forces while taking light casualties themselves.

According to Denys there has been a command change in the Russian Armed Forces in Ukraine with Colonel General Mikhail Teplinsky replacing Gerasimov, who will remain the Chief of Staff of the Russian Armed Forces. Teplinsky was in charge of the VDV airborne troops before being relieved of command in January. He was reinstated in April and now is in charge in Ukraine.

I watch both, Denys is a very engaging and likable guy. I hadn't realised that Reporting from Ukraine was more accurate. thanks for the info.

Denys seems to go more off on speculation than the Reporting from Ukraine which is more just what happened. I can't be 100% sure that everything on Reporting from Ukraine is accurate, but there is not much speculation.

According to Denys there has been a command change in the Russian Armed Forces in Ukraine with Colonel General Mikhail Teplinsky replacing Gerasimov, who will remain the Chief of Staff of the Russian Armed Forces. Teplinsky was in charge of the VDV airborne troops before being relieved of command in January. He was reinstated in April and now is in charge in Ukraine.

One of the strangest results of Prigozhin's mutiny has been that Ukraine is actually in an even stronger position than they were. Like a lot of folks, I was modestly hopeful that the mutiny would bring an end to this war, and when it failed/negotiated, it looked like maybe a shake up would improve the Russian command. But in the end, they kept the same horrible command of Shoigu and Gerasimov, and got rid of/imprisoned the only competent guy Surovikin.

Now this suggests, Gerasimov will be replaced by an even worse commander. Baffling, but all in all, if I can't have an end to the war, a better outcome from the mutiny than expected.

(There are of course rumblings that the mutiny is not in fact over, and that Prigozhin is in St. Petersburg, and not Belarus. And that we can expect a Mutiny 2.0 that will have more backing from the military. As @wdolson has noted, this also planted a seed in their minds that it's not impossible to resist the current regime.)