Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect Tesla may never make the LR RWD. Here is how I think they will handle our orders. Tesla will contact you and give you 3 options:
Option 1: Upgrade to AWD. Keep your place in que and pay the difference of what it would have cost if you ordered AWD back when you ordered RWD, $4,000.00.
Option 2: Downgrade your order to standard range. Your vehicle price is now lower than the original $48K, but you get pushed down on the delivery que. As a plus you have to expect that they will increase the range of the standard range vehicles.
Option 3: Refund your order deposit.

I think this scenario- or something very close to it- is by far the most likely. They’re not making the LR RWD 3 any more, so why would they bother to make the LR RWD Y?

Reactions: benh57 and iustin
Model Y Ordering FAQ
When will Model Y production begin?
We recommend checking the Model Y design studio for your region’s most up-to-date production estimates. Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive is not scheduled for production at this time.

Probably means it is not in the production schedule for now but may return to be in production at a later date, I am guessing late 2020 after all the AWD and Performance ones are produced.

My thought is that LR RWD is out of the picture unless they bring it back for Model 3. Given the steepness of the battery/power train improvement curve, it's very possible that within the next 12 months or so the SR/SR+ variants of M3/MY will have similar specs to a LR RWD specs circa March 2019 (i.e. range close to 300 miles). For context the longest range Model X went from 289 miles range in 2018 to 351 miles as of now on the same battery size. That's 20%+ range within 2 years.

My thought is that LR RWD is out of the picture unless they bring it back for Model 3. Given the steepness of the battery/power train improvement curve, it's very possible that within the next 12 months or so the SR/SR+ variants of M3/MY will have similar specs to a LR RWD specs circa March 2019 (i.e. range close to 300 miles). For context the longest range Model X went from 289 miles range in 2018 to 351 miles as of now on the same battery size. That's 20%+ range within 2 years.
Well, they are bringing back the Model 3 LR RWD in China. My thought is that they may still produce the MY there later on this year.

it's very possible that within the next 12 months or so the SR/SR+ variants of M3/MY will have similar specs to a LR RWD specs circa March 2019 (i.e. range close to 300 miles). For context the longest range Model X went from 289 miles range in 2018 to 351 miles as of now on the same battery size. That's 20%+ range within 2 years.
True, but the trick with the MX was putting a Model 3 motor in the front. The M3/MY already have a M3 motor in it. Even has the M3 highly efficient batteries in it. I can see the MS/MX getting more efficient when they do, but not much room to grow for the M3/MY.

I did see some odd messages around CR getting 350 miles from a M3 in what they called "Range Mode", but no explanation of that mode.

Why? Because they let us order them. Thousands of them.

From the purchase agreement: "We may also cancel your order and refund your Order Fee if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order."

I'm not necessarily defending the behavior, but just saying that they're not obligated to do anything at all. The optics would be terrible but they could just refund everyone's money and say, "sorry. Not making that car. Get in line for an AWD or Performance model."

Reactions: tpa dude
I am afraid they may use the same tactics for the 35k M3 and keep us waiting...

We will get an email to configure the Y with available options and current prices or wait for the RWD that will come in the future...

Many will pay extra to get the car... some will be on the waiting list forever...

I am afraid they may use the same tactics for the 35k M3 and keep us waiting...

We will get an email to configure the Y with available options and current prices or wait for the RWD that will come in the future...

Many will pay extra to get the car... some will be on the waiting list forever...

There's no "tactics", It's "rationality".

They need maximum margin from US production given the Covid-19 nightmare worldwide.

Reactions: Ken43
From the purchase agreement: "We may also cancel your order and refund your Order Fee if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order."

I'm not necessarily defending the behavior, but just saying that they're not obligated to do anything at all. The optics would be terrible but they could just refund everyone's money and say, "sorry. Not making that car. Get in line for an AWD or Performance model."

There’s “signs” that the fate or LR RWD could go either way. It’s not proof. It’s simply a sign.

I think that cancelling LR RWD goes against Musk’s states goal of affordable EVs. But I’m patient enough to wait it out at least until June 2021.

I’d jump for AWD in exchange for dumping FSD, cost wise. Maybe.

Reactions: dontblinkdoc
I think that cancelling LR RWD goes against Musk’s states goal of affordable EVs. But I’m patient enough to wait it out at least until June 2021.

I’d jump for AWD in exchange for dumping FSD, cost wise. Maybe.

I agree. A mid-$50k crossover is NOT the mass-appeal vehicle that everyone has been salivating over.

I honestly don't care about AWD; I live in the south, where we almost never have ice or snow. My wife has serious (if unfounded) range anxiety, so we want maximum range for the lowest price. If Tesla wants to offer me AWD at a similar price to what I was going to pay for LR RWD, I'll take it.

There's no "tactics", It's "rationality".

They need maximum margin from US production given the Covid-19 nightmare worldwide.

I didn't meant tactics as a bad thing, and I agree with you that Tesla needs to do what's best for them and its customers.
Just the lack of communication that's disappointing... wouldn't it be nice to get an email from them even if it only states "We will contact you about your RWD order in March/April/May to review configuration options for your car"

Reactions: Dadiggaman