Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found out about this a few minutes ago when I went to the website for the first time in quite a few months. They still show my order as the LR RWD, but changed the wheels on me to the 20" induction which I don't like because they are black and I don't like the lack of contrast. When I went to change my order, I noticed the options were to switch to the LR AWD or performance versions which I did not change. But the site did not accept my change of wheels, maybe because I didn't select either of the AWD options? I have no interest in an AWD car and don't want to drag around all the extra weight or care about the performance which will never get used, not to mention the added cost. I have not heard from Tesla yet and it concerns me. If they have been holding my$2,500 for so many months with no recourse for me, that would be really poor customer service and a possible deal-breaker for sure.

I just found out about this a few minutes ago when I went to the website for the first time in quite a few months. They still show my order as the LR RWD, but changed the wheels on me to the 20" induction which I don't like because they are black and I don't like the lack of contrast. When I went to change my order, I noticed the options were to switch to the LR AWD or performance versions which I did not change. But the site did not accept my change of wheels, maybe because I didn't select either of the AWD options? I have no interest in an AWD car and don't want to drag around all the extra weight or care about the performance which will never get used, not to mention the added cost. I have not heard from Tesla yet and it concerns me. If they have been holding my$2,500 for so many months with no recourse for me, that would be really poor customer service and a possible deal-breaker for sure.

I certainly agree with your concern because I'm in the same situation with my Model Y order. Unfortunately Tesla continues to have difficulties addressing the entire ordering process as it relates to fairness and , delivery prioritizations from their early days to present. Will it improve in the short not likely. The only suggestion I can offer now is to be patience over the next month or two and see what happens. There will be lots of rumors and few facts until we hear from Tesla. The problem is Tesla will not provide concise and clear messaging so be ready for a roller coaster ride.

My guess is that 18" wheels will come standard on the SR+ variant of Model Y.

And SR as well..

It most likely will... after most of the orders for AWD, AWDP, and LR-RWD are filled. We won't know until Tesla unlocks those options in the future. With any luck, it will be after a few more record and rocking quarters of Model Y sales and profits to go with them.

Here's to the future!

Tesla updated the Model Y FAQ Model Y Ordering FAQ

When will Model Y production begin?
We recommend checking the Model Y design studio for your region’s most up-to-date production estimates. Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive is not scheduled for production at this time.
Not saying I don’t believe you, but I don’t see that on the FAQ page when I look. Maybe it’s a Canada/US difference where ours isn’t updated yet?

My suspicion is that Tesla no longer has interest in producing the RWD MY because AWD offers them more margin, they don't want the complexity to the assembly line (especially during ramp up), and their pre-order demand is likely more than a year's worth of estimated production. The RWD *might* reappear once they are past all those things. I am disappointed because I don't need AWD and am very price conscious. They've likely outpriced me for 2020. I'm a very happy stock holder and a very disappointed customer today.

I can afford to spring for the higher AWD, but if they discontinue the RWD model and don’t honor preorders, I’m out of the Tesla brand to be honest. It won’t be about money but it will be about losing trust with Tesla.

That will make me move over to Ford Mach E. I have a reservation for both a Tesla Y RWD (placed about a month ago after reconsidering an earlier position I had on not doing a preorder) and one reservation for a Mach E California Edition.
The Ford Mach E is already sold out. ICE car manufacturer have a conflict of interest,and they will build only enough required compliant cars.

There are so many workers employed to build ICE engines that it would take a lot of time until those workers will retire.
And Unions make a lot of pressure for keeping jobs.

By opposition it takes one robot to build a full electic motor in few minutes.

ICE car manufactures will do everything to force people buying cars with ICE engines by making hybrides with very small batteries:
and will use names like "Self Charging Cars" to confuse people:

Reactions: dontblinkdoc
My suspicion is that Tesla no longer has interest in producing the RWD MY because AWD offers them more margin, they don't want the complexity to the assembly line (especially during ramp up), and their pre-order demand is likely more than a year's worth of estimated production. The RWD *might* reappear once they are past all those things. I am disappointed because I don't need AWD and am very price conscious. They've likely outpriced me for 2020. I'm a very happy stock holder and a very disappointed customer today.
I’m in the same boat. I wish Tesla gives some update on LR RWD. Doesn’t matter if they come late. Atleast it will give an expected timeframe..