Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys need to give them some time to sort this all out. They're already 6 months or so ahead of schedule. Let's wait until deliveries begin. Our RWD variants are guaranteed not to arrive until 6-12 months after deliveries begin.

I believe if you guys are changing your design, the prices may not be taking your deposit of $2500 into account.

Anyone planning on longer trip in cold climates would do well to read the thread linked below on a less well known benefit of AWD over RWD. For me it's probably more of a selling point than the traction and acceleration aspect of AWD.

Slightly off topic for the thread, but just in case anybody needs an extra nudge to step up to AWD!

RWD on route battery warming vs AWD
That’s a pretty expensive benefit.

That thread did not have much real info.
You’re right. We never learned how many more minutes he spent charging.

tl;dr: AWD will likely supercharge quicker in cold climates as the motors are used in a deliberately inefficent mode to warm the battery up to optimal charging temperature. RWD has less capacity to generate heat since there is only one motor.

Evidence is anecdotal but backed by sound logic.
How about this logic: it would have used more energy while getting there which would actually INCREASE his charging time to get back to the same SOC. We don’t know if that actually saves any time, does it?

Logic, indeed.

It is more than $5k. When I go to add AWD the cost is $6,490 higher so I didn't do it.

Ouch! For someone who might not want or need AWD, or even LR, that’s A big payment increase. 10% or more.

I haven’t seen any comments about whether the SR and/or SR+ will ever be built.

Do we really think they won’t make the RWD, LR or SR? That seems to go against Tesla’s whole point of producing affordable, clean transportation.

Unless Musk wants to drop this goal, it means they will be produced.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Oh wow, they increased the price. It used to be $51,500 or so for the awd lr.

It was 52k. They increased it by $990.

Anyway, we have a couple of options:
1) Create a new order for LR AWD (will cost 100$ non-returnable). I did this as I do not trust Tesla's logic and I left LR RWD order untouched.

2) Cancel RWD order and get 2500$ back. However, I guess people that put their 2500$ did not put the last money so they can wait a month or so.

I hope that Tesla will provide some sort of solution. The way they treat RWD orders owners just proves once again - it is NOT GOOD when one company dominates the market and they can do whatever they want. They just don't care as there is a long line of people that want to get their Tesla. They do not operate in a competitive market. They do not need to provide a good service. Customers will eat this as they have no real choice. (Sorry Tesla adepts, I have no personal feeling for any company, including Tesla. However, they do have the best product for now).

It was 52k. They increased it by $990.

Anyway, we have a couple of options:
1) Create a new order for LR AWD (will cost 100$ non-returnable). I did this as I do not trust Tesla's logic and I left LR RWD order untouched.

2) Cancel RWD order and get 2500$ back. However, I guess people that put their 2500$ did not put the last money so they can wait a month or so.

I hope that Tesla will provide some sort of solution. The way they treat RWD orders owners just proves once again - it is NOT GOOD when one company dominates the market and they can do whatever they want. They just don't care as there is a long line of people that want to get their Tesla. They do not operate in a competitive market. They do not need to provide a good service. Customers will eat this as they have no real choice. (Sorry Tesla adepts, I have no personal feeling for any company, including Tesla. However, they do have the best product for now).
I thought it was $51k?
Yes, tesla still operates like a start up, but have dominated their respective space. Growing pains, and I'm sure by the time the truck comes out they'll be better at it.

I just got a call from Tesla...he said if you want your Model Y sooner, edit your order for an AWD. They will be producing and fulfilling the RWD orders, but it wont be for awhile (8-12+ months).

Not surprisingly I received different information from Tesla.
1. "Thanks for chatting in! At this time, if you had pre-ordered the Model Y RWD that will no longer be produced we will be contacting you soon in order to provide next steps"

I don't have a copy of the next chat message but I was strongly urged not to make any changes to my order. Of course many mixed messages from Tesla so difficult to know what to do but I'm going to wait.

Not surprisingly I received different information from Tesla.
1. "Thanks for chatting in! At this time, if you had pre-ordered the Model Y RWD that will no longer be produced we will be contacting you soon in order to provide next steps"

I don't have a copy of the next chat message but I was strongly urged not to make any changes to my order. Of course many mixed messages from Tesla so difficult to know what to do but I'm going to wait.
I know its satisfying to try and get an answer, but we know that people are getting different info, so why do we keep expecting to get a definite answer when we ask the same people. When there is an official answer, we will hear it officially. I'm not thrilled to need to wait, I'm impatient too, but can we stop being surprised every time we get a different answer?

I know its satisfying to try and get an answer, but we know that people are getting different info, so why do we keep expecting to get a definite answer when we ask the same people. When there is an official answer, we will hear it officially. I'm not thrilled to need to wait, I'm impatient too, but can we stop being surprised every time we get a different answer?
Agree, which is why my first words were "Not surprisingly". Even when we get the initial official answer that will change over time:) I'm been on this forum everyday even before I had a user account and nothing surprises me with Tesla but I still love the company. In the meantime I'm enjoying my Model 3!

Reactions: dontblinkdoc
I went to a Tesla store today and asked about RWD orders. They were honest and said they have no official info at this time.
They think information will be available after production begins. They think RWD orders will be fulfilled but probably late 2021...

I know this is all speculation but wanted to share here...

I went to a Tesla store today and asked about RWD orders. They were honest and said they have no official info at this time.
They think information will be available after production begins. They think RWD orders will be fulfilled but probably late 2021...

Man, I hope not. I assume they won't get into the full production ramp until sometime in April or May.

2021? So, after the standard range?

2021? So, after the standard range?
Or if you believe the chat I received today from Tesla, the LR RWD will never be built. I wonder if Tesla actually knows themselves at this point.

""Thanks for chatting in! At this time, if you had pre-ordered the Model Y RWD that will no longer be produced we will be contacting you soon in order to provide next steps"

The RWD will definitely NOT be produced in 2020, MAYBE in 2021. I don't even see the point of waiting for them to contact us. If you want a car this year, the order will need to be switched to AWD or performance. Having said that, I will wait for them to contact me in case there is some incentive they offer, maybe a small discount on the AWD. Otherwise I would do it right now.

• Disagree
Reactions: reardencode
It's OK and understandable for Tesla to NOT have an answer at this point. Their messaging could be better, but they are trying to thread the demand/production needle out of Fremont. Remember, they are production-constrained for 3 and Y, so it makes prudent, business sense for them to choose high margin/ASP configurations as a priority. If/when production catches up to demand, they will consider other configurations like SR and LR-RWD.

It's OK and understandable for Tesla to NOT have an answer at this point. Their messaging could be better, but they are trying to thread the demand/production needle out of Fremont. Remember, they are production-constrained for 3 and Y, so it makes prudent, business sense for them to choose high margin/ASP configurations as a priority. If/when production catches up to demand, they will consider other configurations like SR and LR-RWD.
While that may be fine for many, for others who are trying to upgrade to AWD the configurator is not taking in to account our original order and pricing. In my case it's adding about $6,500 to the price. My guess is they want to move as many people to AWD as possible and will provide some type of pricing incentive.

I watched this thread for several days and understand that current conclusion is no answer. However, I would like to continue checking in case anyone get contacted officially regarding their order.
I think at this time, 2 types of responses are most annoying. 1, Tesla is right (not wrong) to cut lr rwd and not providing further information. The thing is, Tesla removed this config by themselves, not under external pressure, so they could have enough time to prepare the answer. Even as simple as "we will let you know what will happen by xxx" would be much better than silence. 2, awd is better than rwd / worth considering. This is not helpful because even awd is at least $990 more expensive than it was, and for sure if you already paid $2500 for deposit, no reason you would like to pay at least $990 more.
I think at the moment, I would really like to know
1. When we will get further informed, especially if it would be before / during lr awd pre-order production.
2. What options would be available. Delayed (when), upgrade (same as the price when placed order, discount, free, etc.), downgrade to sr (for me this is not an option), or canceled (the worst case, you would need to pay more and at the end of the queue).
3. If there is lr rwd, what would be the range. If we can upgrade, how would the queue look like.

One reason we want some type of information is because we don't know what would be better: pay $100 to order another one (avoid the worst case I listed, but no refund for this $100), or just wait.