Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S to Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incorrect. Many Superchargers are not on highway locations. The dollars committed by Electrify America say it all. Way more than Tesla can come close to doing. The good news is that Teslas will also be able to charge at them faster than at most Superchargers. In just the last three months they have opened fast chargers at 120 Walmart locations. It is the real deal:

"We had no chargers at all in 2018; to date in 2019 we have 158 sites operational. The way we're interpreting the consent decree is doing something unique in the US. We've got one chance to finally try to have an increase in EV adoption," explained Giovanni Palazzo, president and CEO of Electrify America.

(Out of the first 484 sites, the design and engineering is complete for all but two. About 30 sites are still submitting permits; 370 sites have all permits and are in construction; 267 have had construction completed, and 158 are already in use.)

By the end of the year, that will mean sites in 42 states and 17 large metropolitan areas. In addition to the 2,000 DC fast chargers—a mix of both CCS Combo and ChaDeMo at all sites—Electrify America is also putting in more than 2,800 level 2 (7.2kW AC) charging stations. On highway corridors, the stations will be spaced at an average of 70 miles (113km), with 120 miles (193km) between them at maximum. Each site has a minimum of four charging stations, with the largest having 10 chargers."
Electrify America is currently having terrible problems with their new chargers not working. Their equipment chosen is doomed to fail unless they make changes. Some of the failures/problems also rest with not protecting their equipment from hot temperatures. It would be nice to shade the customers too! I have used the existing EA equipment across the US and much of it is broken and not ready for prime time. However though, it is installed!;)

Love P cars, but a 2013 Model S has more range than a 2020 Porsche? And a fully spec turbo s runs around 240k..

I’d consider this car only if it had superior range, however, the extra cost with less range than 7 year old Tesla is something that makes me wanna keep my Tesla and just get a nice NA GT3 with a 6 Speed MT.

Over 50% of Tesla employees are in software, compared to like 5% for Ford. The vast amount of user data Tesla has gathered is a competitive advantage that Tesla holds over everyone else. This is what’s going to keep them in the lead and something they won’t share and other companies could never buy.

Reactions: Saimaannorppa
Competition is good for everyone in the long run.

Though it looks like the Taycan will join other "Tesla killers" that failed to hit the mark (how many Bolts are being sold???).

Range is on the order of a 2012 Model S - at 50-100% higher price than the current Model S models that have 40% more range.

Porcshe doesn't currently have the equivalent of Tesla's supercharger network, which will be even more critical due to the lower range, limiting the Taycan to mostly driving near home.

And for the higher price, they don't have the AP/FSD hardware with the potential for future software updates which may support unassisted self driving.

It could be a great vehicle - but at that price point, won't have a very large market.

Tesla will likely lose some S/Performance customers to Porsche - but that probably won't have much impact on Tesla sales - and by the time Taycan gets into full production, Tesla will likely have made at least one more round of improvements to Model S (longer range, faster charger, longer life battery pack - plus more improvements through OTA updates).

Good to see Tesla starting to get some competition. But Taycan won't help Porsche get back to selling more vehicles than Tesla.

The only BMW i9 I've ever seen was last summer at the top of Dalsnibba Road in Geiranger, Norway. :)

I'd certainly consider a Taycan, or any other decent range EV, when it's time to replace my MS. What I'd be hard-pressed to do is buy another Tesla, given the deterioration in customer service over the last year or two.
i hear you. Tesla needs to hear this too from long time owners who will be leaving tesla. I just looked at the elitrify america map and its growing and up to 350kw. This i think will work for porsche if you travel.

Tesla can't 'hear' anything, maybe they need to add a complaints function to the service app ;)
Jokes aside, the hysteria about Tesla is diminishing, you can't keep afloat by just fanboys alone who see everything through rose coloured glasses.
I dont think many new model 3 owners are fan boi's but just people who wanted a cool ev at a lower price.Some are and already have the s or x but many are new to ev and havent seen the way tesla operates yet.

Tired of “S” nonsense and put deposit on new Taycan that will be a serious car compared to the Tesla S. Sold my 2015 S because I believe the uniqueness of the car and company have been compromised. Sorry to see demise of Tesla.
I agree however very upset with the price of the Taycan when they showed signs of starting around $90k when the demo was first released. Tesla’s still cannot run at optimal speeds for long without causing serious damage to the battery. Something Porsche accomplished and knew was important for buyers interested in performance evs. I’m ordering one myself

I am sure Taycan is going to be a fabulous car. If only drive local, it will be a good choice for you. I have a 200 mile roundtrip that I do frequently. In winter I need a vehicle with ~300 mile range to make it safely. Summer is not an issue.
Porsche will probably get the range it states. Whereas Tesla’s get 40-50 miles less, with normal driving habits. Not driving like a lunatic or anything. So a real 270 mile range is basically equivalent to the raven range.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus and Evoforce
Agree with you about charger stations but that part of the EV program does not mean anything to me since have other cars and never take road trips anymore, so for me it is just the fun around a small area in southwest Florida.
If you’re truly buying a performance ev charging stations should not be a concern. Just like mpg’s aren’t a concern for performance ice cars!

• Disagree
Reactions: Evoforce
Tesla can't 'hear' anything, maybe they need to add a complaints function to the service app ;)
Jokes aside, the hysteria about Tesla is diminishing, you can't keep afloat by just fanboys alone who see everything through rose coloured glasses.
Tesla’s are diminishing especially the performance S and X. They were ready to drop them all together until the Taycan came out with their price. The current Raven was a tester to see if they still had interested buyers to build the new S and X with 2170 cells. Last quarter out of 90k+ sales, 80k were Model 3’s. Not a good sign for the S or X, hint the low pricing and incentives for new S and X Raven purchases. Now Elon knows he can move forward with the 2170 cells and charge Porsche prices. However if they don’t make the interior like a true luxury car it will be the end of Tesla lol. Kidding but not kidding. Tesla won’t last cause they don’t have the funding the other manufacturers have. They will hopefully be smart enough to sell while they still have value. If not than all us Tesla owners will have a lot of pointless warranties.
Tesla’s demise was coming out with a cheaper car with better batteries. Would be like Mercedes having their S600 with a V6 @ $180k their C class with a V12 @ $40k. Dumbest decision they ever made and will be the only reason they fail, honestly. If they waited to put those 2170 cells in the S and X first, than released the 3, their sales would have continued to grow for all models.

Last edited:
My friend who loves Porches and Jaguars just went to put in a reservation for a Taycan. The dealer talked him into driving home in a a new Macan instead. Now he owns two. I find this telling.
I find it telling that your friend has unlimited funds to spend lol. Must be nice... He better buy a Taycan I truly believe that what they say it will be capable of... it actually will. Unlike another company who makes false promises and delays regularly. I also expect the transmission to be a game changer while others believe it will lead to a money pit. Porsche builds quality cars... hence why out of all luxury sedans/hatchbacks theirs depreciate the least. Never been a fan of their smaller cars just reminds me of Lumberg from Office Space lol

• Disagree
Reactions: skitown
Porsche will probably get the range it states. Whereas Tesla’s get 40-50 miles less, with normal driving habits. Not driving like a lunatic or anything. So a real 270 mile range is basically equivalent to the raven range.

Porsche hasn't released EPA range numbers of the Taycan yet.

You can't compare WLTP based range versus the EPA based range.

I do agree that Tesla is overly optimist on the range especially on Performance models. Like for the Model 3 they liked to claim that the LR,LR-AWD, and the Performance one all had a range of 310 which was obviously ridiculous. At some point they corrected it to some degree.

Reactions: MelvinLee
Competition is good for everyone in the long run.

Though it looks like the Taycan will join other "Tesla killers" that failed to hit the mark (how many Bolts are being sold???).

Range is on the order of a 2012 Model S - at 50-100% higher price than the current Model S models that have 40% more range.

Porcshe doesn't currently have the equivalent of Tesla's supercharger network, which will be even more critical due to the lower range, limiting the Taycan to mostly driving near home.

And for the higher price, they don't have the AP/FSD hardware with the potential for future software updates which may support unassisted self driving.

It could be a great vehicle - but at that price point, won't have a very large market.

Tesla will likely lose some S/Performance customers to Porsche - but that probably won't have much impact on Tesla sales - and by the time Taycan gets into full production, Tesla will likely have made at least one more round of improvements to Model S (longer range, faster charger, longer life battery pack - plus more improvements through OTA updates).

Good to see Tesla starting to get some competition. But Taycan won't help Porsche get back to selling more vehicles than Tesla.
Porsche has 30k pre orders for the Taycan and that was from a week ago. I think you underestimate the money that real rich people make. Living in San Francisco costs $3k/month for a 1 bedroom. I think everyone living there could buy one without blinking lol

Porsche hasn't released EPA range numbers of the Taycan yet.

You can't compare WLTP based range versus the EPA based range.

I do agree that Tesla is overly optimist on the range especially on Performance models. Like for the Model 3 they liked to claim that the LR,LR-AWD, and the Performance one all had a range of 310 which was obviously ridiculous. At some point they corrected it to some degree.
Tesla actually underestimated the 3 on purpose cause they knew it would hurt the S and X sales. Just like they withheld the performance capabilities until later releasing an update which I still don’t believe maxes out the 3 like the S and X do