Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S/X Palladium Motorized Screen Tilt Kit

Which kit would you prefer? See post for details.

• Mechanical

Votes: 31 29.0%
  • Switches

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Simple Integration

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Full Integration

Votes: 67 62.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ther

yes it does
Then it has to be related to where those bolts screw in. Make sure they are going in the right holes. It is a bit difficult getting the holes to line up while pressing the display flat (don’t push too hard). I’m wondering if the passenger side bolt missed its hole. That would be enough to tilt toward you as you described.

Reactions: leecox
I looked at Reid's video, I notice no bolt in the v section needed, although I see it in the directions. Also do you need to loosen the arms on the motorized assembly or can you install it as is? I see you can loosen the arms with an allen wrench

Last edited:
I looked at Reid's video, I notice no bolt in the v section needed, although I see it in the directions. Also do you need to loosen the arms on the motorized assembly or can you install it as is? I see you can loosen the arms with an allen wrench
Definitely no bolt in the v section. It is empty now with the current design.

Do not loosen the arms. They should be installed as they came from Tesla.

I've decided to try to find someone to install the motors and left body controller. I am slowly damaging the car as I work on it (clips being bent), plastic tab being broken). Anyone in the south orange county, CA area (Laguna Niguel)? .. or will Tesla install these parts but just not turn on the tilt feature( I have someone to do that once the parts are installed).

I've decided to try to find someone to install the motors and left body controller. I am slowly damaging the car as I work on it (clips being bent), plastic tab being broken). Anyone in the south orange county, CA area (Laguna Niguel)? .. or will Tesla install these parts but just not turn on the tilt feature( I have someone to do that once the parts are installed).
If you have a good relationship with your SC I would try them first. They won't turn on the tilt feature but they may install the parts. Won't hurt to stop by and ask.

Reactions: lb92677
I talked to Tesla today and simply requested them to install two parts which I already purchased as a service request and I have an appointment. They will correctly install the motor which I tried to install and install the left controller assembly which is more difficult.
Please post how this works out.

I talked to Tesla today and simply requested them to install two parts which I already purchased as a service request and I have an appointment. They will correctly install the motor which I tried to install and install the left controller assembly which is more difficult.
Excellent. Will avoid you from having to not expose your upper body to your significant other like I have to.

All that contorting my right side against the door sill to get the old vcleft out and he new one in without breaking any connector has formed a nice huge sore on my right side that if I were to show to my wife she would get hugely mad at me.

I believe her exact words would be “what the fvck is wrong with you”!

Sorry you could get it done. Are you going to take another try yourself?
One Telsa employee told me that another customer got the left body controller assembly installed. They just would not install the motor assembly. I will try another service center and see if they will install the left body controller. If so, I can attempt the motor install again. The bottom line is you cannot let them know that you are attempting an unauthorized retrofit. Asking them to install the motors is a dead giveaway. There is also a manual adjutable tilt retrofit that requires no motors by another member. You just move the screen at anytime to the position you want. That requires removing the wormgear. I will have to check into that.

Last edited:
One Telsa employee told me that another customer got the left body controller assembly installed. They just would not install the motor assembly. I will try another service center and see if they will install the left body controller. If so, I can attempt the motor install again. The bottom line is you cannot let them know that you are attempting an unauthorized retrofit. Asking them to install the motors is a dead giveaway. There is also a manual adjutable tilt retrofit that requires no motors by another member. You just move the screen at anytime to the position you want. That requires removing the wormgear. I will have to check into that.
i wouldnt mind having a manual tilt. much easier install? who sells the kits?

i wouldnt mind having a manual tilt. much easier install? who sells the kits?
There is no kit. It was from this post.
Partial success!

-Take the worm drive assembly out
-Detach the two brackets (t45) and 10mm bolt at the screen
-Use 2 M8 nylon washers at the 10mm bolt as spacers and one large m16 at top to control the friction (each side)
-Only hand tighten the t45s to adjust the friction to your liking. This takes some trial and error. Secure the t45 head with a drop of superglue once you are happy with the result and/or some red loctite on the thread as they will come lose otherwise
-The 10mm bolt can be quite tight.
-I've rounded the head of a bolt for the v-chanel and secured it on the back with a nut. That guide pin/roller is necessary I believe.
-re-asemble

Something is still binding on the right side when trying to push the screen all the way in to the 'home' position but I ran out of time to take it back apart. I had it working before but didn't install the shroud behind the screen at that time. After installing the shroud it started to bind. Must be that...I'll find out.

It works well enough for now. Time will tell how things hold up. It swivels out far enough for the shroud not to cover the backside gap.