Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah, just perplexed at how overly vocal you are about a typo.

@bpobill Re your “typo” assertion - it was not a typo, per Enhance’s own reply to me, #218; but rather how they roll.

“Actually, the TrackMode on a Performance Model Y was not tested so far with the buttons but it's supposed to work even if it's not available in the menu just like the Regen is working on models after 2021 where the Regen was removed from the menu. As we don't have access to all the models with different configurations and software versions we sometimes update the table based on customer feedback in order to keep everyone informed.”

Enhance should, in some way (directly or via customers), confirm functionality before advertising it exists, vs advertising it does and waiting to see if someone to tell them it doesn’t exist! As I mentioned in an earlier post, it took me one post here to get an answer that it didn’t exist, from another member.

Again, not an Abstract Ocean issue, as they are just a reseller.

As for the Enhance buttons, commander and app - a good concept for functionality that Tesla should have provided (like a usable center horn on Toked models.

I hope these facts help you move beyond your perplexed state.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Guys, let’s switch the subject and see is there someone with the buttons who wants to try an ALPHA build with the Open Door functionality on Y, S or X? We tested it on M3P 2019 and it’s working but rear doors have to be pulled/pushed right after the button press so it’s still not ideal but we are working on it. If a lot of people are interested in Alpha testing I will create a dedicated thread for this on the forum.

Guys, let’s switch the subject and see is there someone with the buttons who wants to try an ALPHA build with the Open Door functionality on Y, S or X? We tested it on M3P 2019 and it’s working but rear doors have to be pulled/pushed right after the button press so it’s still not ideal but we are working on it. If a lot of people are interested in Alpha testing I will create a dedicated thread for this on the forum.

@dimitar.ns Well, since AO was unable to stop shipment, after the shipping label was printed, mine will arrive in a few hours - so I will likely keep them and would be willing to be an alpha tester (2021 MYP and MS Plaid) for the larger community.

Last edited:
Reactions: Transformer
@dimitar.ns Well, since AO was unable to stop shipment, after the shipping label was printed, mine will arrive in a few hours - so I will likely keep them and would be willing to be an alpha tester (2021 MYP and MS Plaid) for the larger community.

Well, the Plaid buttons came, but the MYP ones are delayed a day. Installed them and made a video of the finished product. Pretty responsive from press to action. Pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Transformer
would be willing to be an alpha tester
I'm glad you would reconsider the buttons and even want to try some alpha testing. I will DM the details.

Others that want to try Open Doors can DM me for details too!

And a small surprise for 3 and Y owners - Rear Vent control is coming in the next update too! This will also be included in the Alpha build 😉

So.... this is probably self-inflicted but I'm getting some weird behavior from the Regen toggle function and I'm at a loss to figure out what I did wrong.

I've got six S3XY buttons installed and all of them work great. One of them is a Regen toggle, mounted under the steering wheel, which is intended to be used in the wintertime if encountering slick roads where I want to manual control of all of the braking. Over the past few days, I've noted that when I first take the car out of the garage, regen is set to 0% rather than 100%. This is weird because it's always set to 100% when the car is put to bed. I end up toggling it on via the button to get it to return to normal.

I am only charging to 75%, so it's not that the battery is full. And of course Regen is fully-on at 100% when last driven, so somehow it's turning itself off.

The only thing I can think of is that the behavior began when I added two buttons last weekend and installed a firmware update to the Commander.... 2.7.3.

Just now I fired up the app, and it's showing Regen is at 0%, even tho I just drove it an hour ago, toggled Regen to 100% in my driveway, ran my errand, garaged it and plugged it back in.

Any suggestions? Have I somehow triggered a "default" setting that is causing the Commander to reset Regen to 0% when parking or charging? It's not a deal breaker, but it's an annoyance - especially as I have a road trip next week and will be departing with a 100% charge and the expectation that Regen will be available as soon as the battery has available capacity to receive the energy.... remembering to have to toggle it on an hour or so into my drive is a thing I'd prefer to not have to have on my plate.

So.... this is probably self-inflicted but I'm getting some weird behavior from the Regen toggle function and I'm at a loss to figure out what I did wrong.

I've got six S3XY buttons installed and all of them work great. One of them is a Regen toggle, mounted under the steering wheel, which is intended to be used in the wintertime if encountering slick roads where I want to manual control of all of the braking. Over the past few days, I've noted that when I first take the car out of the garage, regen is set to 0% rather than 100%. This is weird because it's always set to 100% when the car is put to bed. I end up toggling it on via the button to get it to return to normal.

I am only charging to 75%, so it's not that the battery is full. And of course Regen is fully-on at 100% when last driven, so somehow it's turning itself off.

The only thing I can think of is that the behavior began when I added two buttons last weekend and installed a firmware update to the Commander.... 2.7.3.

Just now I fired up the app, and it's showing Regen is at 0%, even tho I just drove it an hour ago, toggled Regen to 100% in my driveway, ran my errand, garaged it and plugged it back in.

Any suggestions? Have I somehow triggered a "default" setting that is causing the Commander to reset Regen to 0% when parking or charging? It's not a deal breaker, but it's an annoyance - especially as I have a road trip next week and will be departing with a 100% charge and the expectation that Regen will be available as soon as the battery has available capacity to receive the energy.... remembering to have to toggle it on an hour or so into my drive is a thing I'd prefer to not have to have on my plate.
That’s not awesome. I’d much rather see the failure mode being that the buttons don’t do anything rather than being “activated” by default.

Have you tried changing the function of the button you’ve set to adjust the regen? Or maybe try resetting the commander? Other than that I’m not sure what could be tried. Perhaps @dimitar.ns could chime in with some suggestions.

Any suggestions? Have I somehow triggered a "default" setting that is causing the Commander to reset Regen to 0% when parking or charging?
This is not normal and there is no "hidden" default setting like this. Most likely it's caused because of a new Tesla software version which we didn't test yet or the button itself. Please write to [email protected] with more details on your car, software version, Commander settings, and name. The guys there will help you out!

I’m now having this problem. 2.2.7 app software, Plaid running 2022.16.3.

My iOS app is on 1.0.30. App itself is 2.7.3 (actually I’m on the alpha build). MYP on 2022.16.3.

Mine is working fine. Do you have the app and/or the commander up to date? I’ve had the app up to date but didn’t update the commander firmware and had some app functions not working. I’ve never seen your particular issue though.

My iOS app is on 1.0.30. App itself is 2.7.3 (actually I’m on the alpha build). MYP on 2022.16.3.

Mine is working fine. Do you have the app and/or the commander up to date? I’ve had the app up to date but didn’t update the commander firmware and had some app functions not working. I’ve never seen your particular issue though.
Yep. I have a 2021 MYP running 1022.16.3 as well, and no issue. So, I doubt it’s the same firmware that is running on the Plaid. 🤷‍♂️

This is not normal and there is no "hidden" default setting like this. Most likely it's caused because of a new Tesla software version which we didn't test yet or the button itself. Please write to [email protected] with more details on your car, software version, Commander settings, and name. The guys there will help you out!
Will do.

PS - Just took it out an hour ago and Regen was at the normal 100% setting upon car power on. I guess the act of me asking for help "fixed" the problem, like the squeak that goes away on its own when the mechanic is being paid to fix it. Lol.

I'll document the prior behavior, keep an eye out for a recurrence, and fire off the deets to enhauto if it returns.

Now to try to get button #5 to restick to the bottom back of the display. Two buttons back there are doing great, but they were installed months ago when it was cooler and I think the stickum is having trouble with the 85-90 degree soak out in my garage because it keeps falling off.... landing sticky side down (of course) and adhering to my center console. Lol.

Will do.

PS - Just took it out an hour ago and Regen was at the normal 100% setting upon car power on. I guess the act of me asking for help "fixed" the problem, like the squeak that goes away on its own when the mechanic is being paid to fix it. Lol.

I'll document the prior behavior, keep an eye out for a recurrence, and fire off the deets to enhauto if it returns.

Now to try to get button #5 to restick to the bottom back of the display. Two buttons back there are doing great, but they were installed months ago when it was cooler and I think the stickum is having trouble with the 85-90 degree soak out in my garage. Lol.
I’ve found these do not stick on the backside of the refreshed S yoke at all. They fall off in hours.

It’s a bit dark but hopefully you can tell from the pictures how I have it positioned. It’s been there for several month and it has not been touched by any backseat passengers.

View attachment 829344View attachment 829345
I installed it and with my under rear air organizer it completely disappears…

D344531E-4BF5-4A36-94AB-D53147EEA2D7.jpeg
4A9F0EBA-D098-447B-9618-8D1D05524FFF.jpeg

Reactions: Corndart and gx9901
I’ve found these do not stick on the backside of the refreshed S yoke at all. They fall off in hours.
I had surprising luck with them on my stock M3 steering wheel. The Regen button is on the center bottom, adhered behind the 6 o'clock position "strut", while my AP toggle button is at the 9 o'clock position right at the base of the turn signal. Put the AP toggle button on at the same time as the button that keep falling off my display, so both were exposed to the same temperatures ... looks like, oddly, my steering wheel is easier to adhere to than the smooth display backside. At least when warm.... it might be as simple as the plasticy steering wheel being cooler than the metal display rather than it being based on the material in question.

I just found out about these--These are so cool I'm ordering right now if for no other reason to support these aftermarket endeavors that help to improve these cars (I don't always agree with all the mission statements, like designing around automated driving, removing tactile buttons, etc., and I was worried that EVs would be so locked down that personal modification would be impossible, so I'm happy to see products like these buttons).

@dimitar.ns - I went through this entire thread and still have some questions/suggestions

• Kick Down - is it available yet? This is a fantastic idea. Can it kick down to PLAID mode (for appropriate models)?

There are some good ideas for Smart actions too:
- "Kick Down" - if you usually drive in CHILL but want to pass somebody on SPORT just hit the Acceleration pedal fully down and the Commander will switch to SPORT immediately for you. After a couple of seconds, it will switch back to CHILL for a more comfy ride with your family for example.
  • Combo Actions - Would it be possible to program multiple actions to a single button press? Like simultaneously changing drive mode to PLAID, steering mode to Sport, suspension mode to Sport, etc.? Is this what Smart Actions are?

• Suspension Modes - I'm not seeing the ability to change suspension modes or height - Is this not possible to do? I remember the gentleman who hacked the Model 3 wheel onto the refreshed Plaid was able to make the yoke wheel controls change the suspension height, so I'm hoping it might be possible and a future addition to the possible commands? It would be great to have any/all of the following options available at a button press:

• Raise suspension (1 step)​

• Lower suspension (1 step)​

• Fully raise​

• Fully raise (remember via GPS, like in the controls menu)​

• Fully lower​

• Toggle the Default-To-Low ride height feature​

• Comfort mode​

• Auto mode​

• Sport mode​

• Change Follow Distance - For some reason the Model S refreshes don't let you change the follow distance of cruise control with the wheel buttons like the Model Y, etc. do. The only place you can change it is buried in menus. Would the buttons be able to offer increase/decrease follow distance functionality?

• Instant PLAID Mode - I see the ability to change to Chill and Sport driving modes; is there the ability to change to PLAID mode for cars that have it?

And what got me here was a discussion regarding the yoke's horn being unfortunately placed as a capacitance button on the side of the yoke instead of being incorporated into the airbag pad like most cars. It was suggested we might try using one of these buttons and placing it behind the airbag component to see if it can actually turn center pad presses into horn honks....Do you know if this might at all be feasible? I admit it does sound a little scary, but then again, automatically pressing the pad in emergencies to only not have it do anything is also pretty scary, so I've been looking into what alternatives might be useful to solve this issue.

Other than that, just curious about some other possible hardware solutions

• Real horn for yoke users - Like mentioned above, I think a custom-made airbag-press sensor that would turn the yoke's airbag pad into a real horn would make a lot of people happy. Some like the yoke, some hate it, but there seems to be near-universal disdain for the existing horn button. This might just be a slimmer form factor (or thicker?) that would fit properly behind the airbag and the rest of the inner wheel assembly and could be triggered by detecting presses on the airbag (which seems to already offer some movement after pulling it apart and looking at the rubber bubbles it rests on).
  • Turn signal stalk - My biggest turn-off with the refreshed Model S/Model X is the capacitance turn signal buttons, including (lack of) feedback, placement, and locating them on rotated wheel orientations. With your buttons' existing ability to trigger turn signals, I'm curious how much of a leap it would be to manufacture a plug-and-play turn signal stock assembly? Ideally it would have a clock mechanism to automatically turn off on wheel rotation, but even if not, I'd still much prefer it over not having stalks (and it would still benefit from the auto turn-off logic, so the clock mechanism isn't as necessary as it is in other cars). I'd buy at least three (even if I only have one Tesla ;) ).
Regardless, thanks for the awesome product and even more impressive feedback and customer interaction.

Last edited:
Any chance we can get a button that returns fan speed to auto? Currently I have a button for max fan speed and another that steps down by one with each press. When I need to cool off I hit the max and when I am comfortable I hit the down button 7 times... since it almost always runs on 3 when in auto. If we can't have a button that return it to auto, how about a button that sets fan speed to three? :)

Keith
You can do this with a voice command: Fan to auto(matic).