Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need cellular connectivity to use voice commands? Never heard/thought of that... Not contesting you, I just never considered it.

I think most voice command systems use cloud-based computing to do their stuff. I usually prefer locally-computer grammars because of their speed (like the non-Cortana Xbox voice commands), but those are usually very specific and very limited in supported phrases. I think Alexa, Siri, Cortana, etc. all use service computing (other than maybe a few local commands that might be used for quicker responses)?

I noticed my streaming songs and voice commands stopped working over some of the passes I was driving through (which had spotty connectivity).

Reactions: drdumont
You need cellular connectivity to use voice commands?
In a Tesla, yes. Testing it while parked, you can see the car do an amazing job of quickly recognizing words from a large vocabulary, even place names, then wait for a server.
  • For nav and streaming-audio searches, this makes sense.
  • For car commands like turning on the defogger in a hurry or turning on recirculation when you smell a skunk, this stinks (heh) because it's slow and unreliable for no good reason.
  • For Contacts, the car seems to recognize the spoken name, then I don't know if it's the car, phone app, or server that searches for that text. Anyway, I had to add a contact with my wife's name misspelled for it to be able to call or text her.
  • This is probably why it can't search for USB audio.

Kick Down - is it available yet? This is a fantastic idea. Can it kick down to PLAID mode (for appropriate models)?
We still have this on our roadmap but we prioritize the Buttons actions and support across the models first. One thing that might be a problem with this Smart Action is that usually, the change between Shill/Sport is not instant...if you change it from the screen you can feel the power is gradually added so it might not be ideal.
Suspension Modes
We are working on that. Still can't confirm that it would be possible but hopefully, we will be able to temporarily set the height to High and to normal afterward.
Change Follow Distance
This is something that I don't think the buttons will be able to do but we might try.
Instant PLAID Mode
We will try that too.

The ideas for Real Horn for Yoke and the Turn Signal stalk are not bad, we might think of something like this in the future.

Could you add Save Sentry clip to the button function list.
Can't see it in the list.
Can see: "Accessibility Sort Honk"
Which may or may not save a clip (I would like to save without the honk) but does have a typo, guessing it should say "Short".
We can't trigger Save Sentry clip from the buttons, unfortunately. The Short Honk is a good alternative though (typo corrected, thanks)

On a RHD car, does this mean the left-hand door?
Actually no, it's always the door next to the charging port. We might need to correct that on the site.

Any chance we can get a button that returns fan speed to auto? Currently I have a button for max fan speed and another that steps down by one with each press. When I need to cool off I hit the max and when I am comfortable I hit the down button 7 times... since it almost always runs on 3 when in auto. If we can't have a button that return it to auto, how about a button that sets fan speed to three? :)

Keith
Actually, you can turn off the MAX setting with a second press of the button so you don't need to return to Auto in most cases. We will add it either way in the next updates.

Very interested in purchasing a set of buttons for my plaid.

Besides trying placing a button on the left and right back side of the yoke for turn signals, I am really interested in the following.

Changing from comfort to sport suspension.
Adjusting regen strength.
A button for track mode on and off.

Also curious if there are any future plans for a smaller button form factor that might look good (factory) placed on top of the MS airbag for horn (perhaps with a small Tesla logo)?

Very interested in purchasing a set of buttons for my plaid.

Besides trying placing a button on the left and right back side of the yoke for turn signals, I am really interested in the following.

Changing from comfort to sport suspension.
Adjusting regen strength.
A button for track mode on and off.

Also curious if there are any future plans for a smaller button form factor that might look good (factory) placed on top of the MS airbag for horn (perhaps with a small Tesla logo)?

I was thinking of a horn button for the yoke airbag (Long Range Model X), but I was worried about it flying into the driver's face if there's ever an airbag deployment.

Bruce.

I was thinking of a horn button for the yoke airbag (Long Range Model X), but I was worried about it flying into the driver's face if there's ever an airbag deployment.

Bruce.

Apparently that is a legitimate concern. I believe manufacturers are beginning to shy away from even putting embossed logos on the airbag to avoid leaving a tattoo impression on someone if it goes off.

I have seen a picture of a S3XY button placed just below the airbag on the flat spot. That could be a good compromise.

Reactions: jebinc and bmah
We still have this on our roadmap but we prioritize the Buttons actions and support across the models first. One thing that might be a problem with this Smart Action is that usually, the change between Shill/Sport is not instant...if you change it from the screen you can feel the power is gradually added so it might not be ideal.

We are working on that. Still can't confirm that it would be possible but hopefully, we will be able to temporarily set the height to High and to normal afterward.

This is something that I don't think the buttons will be able to do but we might try.

We will try that too.

The ideas for Real Horn for Yoke and the Turn Signal stalk are not bad, we might think of something like this in the future.

We can't trigger Save Sentry clip from the buttons, unfortunately. The Short Honk is a good alternative though (typo corrected, thanks)

Actually no, it's always the door next to the charging port. We might need to correct that on the site.

Actually, you can turn off the MAX setting with a second press of the button so you don't need to return to Auto in most cases. We will add it either way in the next updates.
The suspension height change would be a gamechanger as it takes so many clicks on the screen to access otherwise. Please tell me its possible and in the works! (maybe one for max height and one to auto or low)

These look good but does anyone have any concerns about plugging something into the canbus? Any possible issues with insurance (as it's a modification) or warranty?
I have concerns about sending information to the car via the CAN bus , but to date no one has reported any damage caused by the buttons.

As to warranty, I suggest disconnecting and removing the control module before having the car serviced by a Tesla service center. Then reconnect it when you get the car back.

hello. The buttons no longer activate the autopilot on my model 3, is there a problem with this function? It was working until last week I think
thanks
We are not aware of such a problem. Please, send more information like car software version, model and year, Commander name and any additional information at [email protected]. The guys will help you out!

Hey dimitar.ns,

Any update on a shorter time on the "pull the door handle to open the funk" option?

Thanks,

Keith
Hi Keith,

Next month we could focus on this. It will require bigger UI design change in order to introduce configuration for different Smart Actions.

Now we are focused on a new Smart Action to disable the Auto High Beam when AP is activated which comes on automatically with the latest Tesla update.

In the update coming in couple of days you will see Multi-language support, AC and recitculation buttons and Kick Down smart action which will switch automatically to Sport mode.

BR
Dimitar