Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S3XY buttons come with little round black-and-white stickers with different icons that correspond to different functions the buttons can perform.

Does anyone know if these stickers prevent the LED blinker lights on the buttons to be clearly seen through the stickers? Or are they translucent enough that the light passes through enough to be seen even in bright conditions?

Bump.

I have purchased two sets of these and never seen the stickers to which you refer? Maybe it's a new thing.
FYI, here’s what I’m referring to:

IMG_3636.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
@jsmay311 -- interesting. I just checked the boxes ours came in and we don't have those. Some of our buttons are along the bottom rear of the screen in the 3 and Y, so they are unseen. Another in each car is on the dash next to the window (which we use to fold and unfold the mirrors) so I wouldn't be labeling ours anyway.

Does anyone know if these stickers prevent the LED blinker lights on the buttons to be clearly seen through the stickers? Or are they translucent enough that the light passes through enough to be seen even in bright conditions?
Since having the visual feedback of the LED blinkers in particularly important for heated seats, I decided to just test it out and answer my own question.

Answer: The stickers block too much of the light to clearly see the blinkers except when it’s dark inside the car.

The white portions of the stickers let some light through, but the black portions pretty much block the light.

Here’s a gif showing it in the relative dark of my garage — pretty easily visible:

IMG_3637.gif

But here’s another gif with the car pulled onto the driveway at midday on a overcast day (so not even any direct sunlight) — very hard to see:

IMG_3638.gif

Based on that, I opted not to put the stickers on the buttons, and instead put them next to the buttons:

IMG_3639.jpeg

Last edited:
Took one for the team, @jsmay311 -- very helpful. Not being snarky but we do the same thing for our kids for the back seat heaters and it never crossed my mind that a label would be needed. That said, it is likely because we almost never have anyone other than the two kids as passengers and they know what they are for.

Took one for the team, @jsmay311 -- very helpful. Not being snarky but we do the same thing for our kids for the back seat heaters and it never crossed my mind that a label would be needed. That said, it is likely because we almost never have anyone other than the two kids as passengers and they know what they are for.
Agreed. Mine would be mostly for infrequent or first-time rear seat passengers.

Since having the visual feedback of the LED blinkers in particularly important for heated seats, I decided to just test it out and answer my own question.

Answer: The stickers block too much of the light to clearly see the blinkers except when it’s dark inside the car.

The white portions of the stickers let some light through, but the black portions pretty much block the light.

Here’s a gif showing it in the relative dark of my garage — pretty easily visible:

View attachment 928950

But here’s another gif with the car pulled onto the driveway at midday on a overcast day (so not even any direct sunlight) — very hard to see:

View attachment 928951

Based on that, I opted not to put the stickers on the buttons, and instead put them next to the buttons:

View attachment 928955
Probalby should have made the stickers with a clear background instead of a black background. They could have fixed the problems.

Reactions: jsmay311
Hi guys

Is there a way to disengage AP while keeping cruise control (ACC) on with a S3xy button?

I have setup a S3xy button with AP function right under my left fingers behind the steering wheel. If I click on it when AP is on it will disengage AP + ACC.

I’d like a way to disengage AP only and keep ACC on to “manually” overtake or change lanes.

I know I can override AP and keep ACC on by “forcing” the steering wheel but it is not the way I would like to do it…

@dimitar.ns S3xy buttons are an amazing product, big kudos!

Hi guys

Is there a way to disengage AP while keeping cruise control (ACC) on with a S3xy button?

I have setup a S3xy button with AP function right under my left fingers behind the steering wheel. If I click on it when AP is on it will disengage AP + ACC.

I’d like a way to disengage AP only and keep ACC on to “manually” overtake or change lanes.

I know I can override AP and keep ACC on by “forcing” the steering wheel but it is not the way I would like to do it…

Agree this would be a nice feature, but just as a note, if you do a short blinker while sort of turning the wheel a bit, you wont' have to force the wheel. The blinker will sort of remove the "lock" that keeps the car centered and you can complete the lane change. It might take a few tries to get the hang of this, you sort of blinker, and then turn, but it's much nicer than jerking the wheel over. Only issue with this is the default 3 blink is a bit short if you're not using auto-blinkers.

Tes21 said:
Hi guys

I sent an email to the company with this exact question. Here's their reply:
Unfortunately switching from AP to CC is only possible by turning the wheel in Tesla. There is no API which we could use to achieve that.
Sorry for the inconvenience but if there is any option in the future Tesla SW Updates we will add such a function to our buttons.

Asking to get and idea of what use cases these buttons might be "worth it"

While some seem triggered by the question, it seems reasonable to me. Of course I'm waiting for the revised Commander, Dashboad layout, and new integrated button console/ add-in, but at this moment my uses would be:

1) Short: Regen to 0%. Long: Reduce regen by 25% - loop. Why? These are natively RWD. For ice and related I want to be able to coast down in bad moments. I've literally seen situations where even an automatic car "coasting" put too much decel to rear wheels and tried to spin the car. Neutral, not something we can have, has saved my ass a few times when others were spinning into ditches.

2) Short: Window Defog On: Long: Fan Speed High

3) Short: Interior lights Toggle Long: Open Glove box

4) Short: Lock all doors. Long: Unlock all doors.

5) Short: Interior lights Toggle Long: Hazard Where - Rear cargo area.

For me these are all things I may want/need quickly and without screen hunting. Sure, there are those that are going to want convenience, but for me it's more of a "what do I need to improve the safety of the car" kind of thing. That said, I can appreciate the parent sanity value of putting rear heated seat buttons in the second row.

I'm also hopeful we'll see:
1) A configurable smart action that lets us automatically set a regen level when temps are below 0C/32F.
2) A capability to cycle though media, nav, and control screens per push. Basically something I can do by feel instead of taking my eye's off the road (Tesla biggest shortcoming in my mind).
3) Smaller buttons.

I am thinking of getting another couple buttons to max out to 8. When I am watching YouTube in the car while the wife is shopping, I like to have the doors locked... in order to unlock the doors for my wife I have to pull out of YouTube to get to the screen to unlock the doors. With another couple buttons I can set one of them to lock on single press, unlock on double press and then find something useful to do with the other one :)

Keith

four:

You know they've mentioned they're developing a USB powered console insert this year right? Something like this but w/buttons?

Something like that w/ 4 buttons and a USB -C port would about make me need a cigarette.

• Informative
Reactions: gtae07 and jsmay311
four:

You know they've mentioned they're developing a USB powered console insert this year right? Something like this but w/buttons?

Something like that w/ 4 buttons and a USB -C port would about make me need a cigarette.
Just bear in mind that unless you get the data module restore kit, those USB ports are power only.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have two phones connected to the Commander? I have an iOS and an Android, it would be convenient if I can interact with Commander with either phone.

Also, both phones are set up as keys. I presume this should not cause any issues with auto presenting door--the car should respond to whichever phone it "sees" first?

Thanks.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have two phones connected to the Commander? I have an iOS and an Android, it would be convenient if I can interact with Commander with either phone.

Also, both phones are set up as keys. I presume this should not cause any issues with auto presenting door--the car should respond to whichever phone it "sees" first?

Thanks.
I have 2 iphones installed. One is installed behind the steering wheel for the dashboard while I am driving and normally is always connected to the commander. My normal iphone I do not use the app unless I want to configure a button. At that moment I stop the app on the other phone and start it one the normal phone. Only one iphone can be connected to the commander at a certain time. The moment I configured the buttons, I close the app and start the app at the phone behind the steering wheel again.

Reactions: snovvman