Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voice commands are a sh**ty alternative IMO. They’re slow, glitchy, interrupt any audio you’re listening to, and are particular ill-suited for when you have a passenger in the car that you might be conversing with. “Excuse me, passenger… could you please STFU for a second? I need to ask my car to do something trivial because it doesn’t have any buttons and I can’t have you talking over me and confusing the car. M’kay? Thanks.” See how stupid that sounds?

And, of course, there are lots of things voice commands simply can’t do in a Tesla that these buttons can do.
I think once you learn to give voice commands it works very well. At least for me the issue was knowing the commands so I don’t keep repeating myself finding the right sequence of words.

Yes, I can see how this can be an issue if you are the talkative type or with a non stop talkative passenger which does happen. For me I drive alone to work 95% of the time and my friends are mostly introverts, so giving voice commands is never an issue and buttons seem like redundant interfaces that adds clutter.

Reactions: drdumont
Thanks! That was not perfectly clear in the official list:

which only says:

Headlights Low​

This is misleading IMO. It should have said:
Headlights On/Off​
or:
Headlights Toggle​

Unfortunately, according to the official list this is not available on the Y. So I will still await confirmation this works on a Y before I pull the trigger. I appreciate your help. If nothing else, you've given me more hope. This and "Highbeam YOKE" would be the only features available on the 3 and not the Y so I'm hoping it's just a typo on the list.
Low beam toggle works on my Model Y. I have it setup on one of the buttons on double click. I’ve used it primarily when it’s raining in the daytime.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
Didnt work. My buttons keep falling off. I have them next to center elbow console handle, out of sight. They are not touching anything I checked with console open or closed
This is annoying making the whole thing useless. Any alternate tape suggestions before I send the buttons to trash bin? Also after owning the car for a few months now, and not using the buttons which allways fall off, I personally dont think they are worth the money or help much. Just my opinion of course
I have had the buttons for over a year, they have never fallen off. Sorry you have had such a tough time, must have gotten some faulty tape. More than worth the money in my opinion.

Last edited:
Any alternate tape suggestions before I send the buttons to trash bin?

Others have probably recommended this already:

3M Mounting Tape

I consider this to be an essential item for maintaining my car. If this stuff comes off after applied properly then you're in big trouble because many parts and accessories on your car will be falling off. It's ubiquitous. A great thing about it is even though it's heat resistant you can use a heat gun or a hair dryer to remove it.

If you decide the buttons are not for you, I'm sure there are many people here who would like to buy them from you.

Didnt work. My buttons keep falling off. I have them next to center elbow console handle, out of sight. They are not touching anything I checked with console open or closed
This is annoying making the whole thing useless. Any alternate tape suggestions before I send the buttons to trash bin? Also after owning the car for a few months now, and not using the buttons which allways fall off, I personally dont think they are worth the money or help much. Just my opinion of course
I have one button that refuses to stay in the center armrest, but another had stayed just fine...

Voice commands are a sh**ty alternative IMO. They’re slow, glitchy, interrupt any audio you’re listening to, and are particular ill-suited for when you have a passenger in the car that you might be conversing with. “Excuse me, passenger… could you please STFU for a second? I need to ask my car to do something trivial because it doesn’t have any buttons and I can’t have you talking over me and confusing the car. M’kay? Thanks.” See how stupid that sounds?
Voice commands also wake up your spouse and child(ren) when they're sleeping on a road trip.
I had a car with voice commands once, and I don't know if it's my hybrid southern accent or what, but it only worked right about one out of ten times.
It was only another $20 for the six pack so I ordered that. Not even sure what I'm going to do with them all (probably one for AP hands-on, another for regen setting for my wife, the rest.... ????), but I'll have them!

Voice commands also wake up your spouse and child(ren) when they're sleeping on a road trip.
I had a car with voice commands once, and I don't know if it's my hybrid southern accent or what, but it only worked right about one out of ten times.
It was only another $20 for the six pack so I ordered that. Not even sure what I'm going to do with them all (probably one for AP hands-on, another for regen setting for my wife, the rest.... ????), but I'll have them!
There are so many functions to choose from, and more being added regularly, that you will find uses for them. If you have frequent rear passengers giving them buttons to control the rear heated seats will use up 2 or 3.

I have one button that refuses to stay in the center armrest, but another had stayed just fine...
Yup. Very frustrating for a new product whose main function is to stick to something doesent stick. Seem to have decent festures but if your buttons cant stay where and how the average person puts them… then its a bad first impression.
Mine kept falling when new. Did the alcohol bit but didnt do anything. Company not super helpful. I now have to look for stickers for a 400 product ? They should have sent me new buttons. I personally would not recommend this product or at least buyer beware. If you are average Joe and want a product working out of the box and not have to modify or go to home depot…. Dont waste money here. You wont need the features as most are easy to get to. On your awesome Tesla

• Disagree
Reactions: 804son

3M Mounting Tape

I consider this to be an essential item for maintaining my car. If this stuff comes off after applied properly then you're in big trouble because many parts and accessories on your car will be falling off. It's ubiquitous. A great thing about it is even though it's heat resistant you can use a heat gun or a hair dryer to remove it.

If you decide the buttons are not for you, I'm sure there are many people here who would like to buy them

Trash is trash. D1RT1 buttons! Credit card refunded me the money.

Lol I needed to open glovebox and the button was under the seat the other day. Simce my original post I feel they should buy 3M tape not me. But I am noticing when it comes to tesla aftermarket with many companies making their stuff in a certain place the quality tends to be dismal and service nonexistent.
At least I am now happy I dont have buttons stick to my pants or shoes or coffe cup. 😂😂

3M Mounting Tape

If you decide the buttons are not for you, I'm sure there are many people here who would like to buy them from you.

Trash is in trash. D1RT1 buttons! Credit card refunded me the money.

Lol I needed to open glovebox and the button was under the seat the other day. Since my original post I feel they should buy 3M tape not me. But I am noticing when it comes to tesla aftermarket with many companies making their stuff in a certain place the quality tends to be dismal and service nonexistent.
At least I am now happy I dont have buttons stick to my pants or shoes or coffe cup. 😂😂

I have had the buttons for over a year, they have never fallen off. Sorry you have had such a tough time, must have gotten some faulty tape. More than worth the money in my opinion.
Perhaps… if they stick. When they dont imagine how you would feel? Since the company is in China and did nothing to help me… I would just warn those considering to buy the buttons that they may, despite the high cost, have to spend additional time, and money to find a solution for the fact that the company uses low grade tape to save a few bucks. Its quite a common occurrence based on coments here and other sites. Just dodnt think ot was going to happen to me 😅

Yup. Very frustrating for a new product whose main function is to stick to something doesent stick. Seem to have decent festures but if your buttons cant stay where and how the average person puts them… then its a bad first impression.
Mine kept falling when new. Did the alcohol bit but didnt do anything. Company not super helpful. I now have to look for stickers for a 400 product ? They should have sent me new buttons. I personally would not recommend this product or at least buyer beware. If you are average Joe and want a product working out of the box and not have to modify or go to home depot…. Dont waste money here. You wont need the features as most are easy to get to. On your awesome Tesla
I can see how it would be frustrating and it would be a bit of a bummer if I had recurring issues with the nano-suction adhesive keep falling off. When I first installed my set of 6 S3XY buttons, I had a few that fell off fairly easily for the first few days (I think it was ones I put behind the steering wheel spokes and one was behind the center screen). What I did then was use the alcohol swabs on both the adhesive surface and the surface I'm sticking the buttons onto and cleaned them as much as I could before placing the buttons onto the locations I wanted. Once the buttons were placed, I would periodically put pressure on the rim of the buttons in an attempt to help it stick better. I did it on and off for probably a few weeks and the buttons never fell off again. By then I liked the functionality of the buttons enough that if they kept falling off, I was going to use some 3M tape to keep them in place. Fortunately mine have stayed put. I had re-located a few buttons since I initially installed them and used the same process to keep them in place.

I think part of the problem is that they elected to use the nano-suction stuff so that the buttons can be re-located in theory. However I've found these type of adhesive to take some work to keep it sticking to a surface. My Quip toothbrush came with a holder that sticks on the bathroom mirror using the same type of adhesive, and mine fell off a lot until I pressed it against the mirror often (every time I brush my teeth in the morning/evening) until it doesn't fall off anymore. I don't think I'm going to re-locate my S3XY buttons anymore as I've got a setup I like a lot, but if I ever do it again I think I'm fairly confident that I can get them to stick. And if the adhesive dies someday, I'll just replace them with some 3M tape.

I can see how it would be frustrating and it would be a bit of a bummer if I had recurring issues with the nano-suction adhesive keep falling off. When I first installed my set of 6 S3XY buttons, I had a few that fell off fairly easily for the first few days (I think it was ones I put behind the steering wheel spokes and one was behind the center screen). What I did then was use the alcohol swabs on both the adhesive surface and the surface I'm sticking the buttons onto and cleaned them as much as I could before placing the buttons onto the locations I wanted. Once the buttons were placed, I would periodically put pressure on the rim of the buttons in an attempt to help it stick better. I did it on and off for probably a few weeks and the buttons never fell off again. By then I liked the functionality of the buttons enough that if they kept falling off, I was going to use some 3M tape to keep them in place. Fortunately mine have stayed put. I had re-located a few buttons since I initially installed them and used the same process to keep them in place.

I think part of the problem is that they elected to use the nano-suction stuff so that the buttons can be re-located in theory. However I've found these type of adhesive to take some work to keep it sticking to a surface. My Quip toothbrush came with a holder that sticks on the bathroom mirror using the same type of adhesive, and mine fell off a lot until I pressed it against the mirror often (every time I brush my teeth in the morning/evening) until it doesn't fall off anymore. I don't think I'm going to re-locate my S3XY buttons anymore as I've got a setup I like a lot, but if I ever do it again I think I'm fairly confident that I can get them to stick. And if the adhesive dies someday, I'll just replace them with some 3M tape.
Thanks for the fair assessment. To be clear The functions they provide are cool and the company seems to keep adding and supporting new features. Hoping they will figure this one out or even suggest best locations where stuff wont fall.

We have some issues with this feature which will be resolved next month hopefully. It will work a different than the description on our website and will be used mainly to help for changing lanes.

We will extend app functionality later this year with soft In-dash buttons, widgets etc.
Is autopilot assist still going to happen? I guess I shouldn’t have looked at the “upcoming features” and based my purchase on this but realistically this is the only feature that I was looking for. It’s been at least 6 months, I realize you were having issues but if it’s just not going to happen or will require additional hardware it would be nice to know.