Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor S3XY Buttons - Regenerative braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will wait for the final build.
The release is out from about a week. You can test all the new features. See below the full list.

Is this even possible with Tesla" software architecture? Or have you already provided this function and I as a beginner not seen it?
Unfortunately, this is not possible with the current way Tesla implemented AP and TACC. You can go back to TACC only by turning the wheel.

Here is the full list of features with the Holiday Update:

🎄 HOLIDAY UPDATE 🎅

- Off-road assist (SNOW MODE) Model 3 & Y
- Stopping Mode - CREEP, HOLD, and ROLL
- Slip Start toggle
- Pedestrian attention button (Accessibility > Very Short Honk)
- Fan Speed increase and decrease by 3 steps (1-4-7-10)
- Wipers Washer button
- Wipers single wipe button
- Presenting doors Smart Action (Beta)
- Show more button states in the app - Heated Seats, Climate Controls, Traction Control, Stopping mode, etc.
- Bigger gear indicator
- Battery Preconditioning fix crashes in some cars and show if heating is requested but not available (Prec. N/A)
- Optimize wrong signals detection
- Fix Commander restart on long rides
- Other bug fixes and improvements
(use app v2.12.2 or newer)

Let me know any questions you might have about it. Would be happy to answer :)

• Love
Reactions: GtiMart
new features. See below the full list
Will check it, but above seems to indicate it doesn't work yet?

Furthermore, would it be possible to implement following UI elements from SMT?

You now have stator temperature shown which is not very useful, I would like to see
Front stator in kW
Rear stator in kW
Battery usage momentarily in kW

These will help me see if snow mode and/or preconditioning are working. Otherwise it is a pain to switch to SMT to confirm.

And also the value "ideal nominal remaining" fr SMT(not nominal remaining and not expected as Tesla works with whatever SMT calls "ideal" nominal remaining, especially when the battery is cold)

If you can slip these values into the next bug fix/update that would be great and will make me use the dashboard more as I use SMT now

Off-road mode seems to open the settings page unfortunately... Otherwise this works great.
That's strange. We didn't observe similar behavior in our tests. Please, send a video or bug report to [email protected]

Will check it, but above seems to indicate it doesn't work yet?

Furthermore, would it be possible to implement following UI elements from SMT?

You now have stator temperature shown which is not very useful, I would like to see
Front stator in kW
Rear stator in kW
Battery usage momentarily in kW

These will help me see if snow mode and/or preconditioning are working. Otherwise it is a pain to switch to SMT to confirm.

And also the value "ideal nominal remaining" fr SMT(not nominal remaining and not expected as Tesla works with whatever SMT calls "ideal" nominal remaining, especially when the battery is cold)

If you can slip these values into the next bug fix/update that would be great and will make me use the dashboard more as I use SMT now
You can verify also with the S3XY Buttons app.
See more details about off-read in this thread:
OFF-ROAD (aka Snow mode) for Model 3

To be clear, off-road mode seems to work for me (2020 LR AWD model 3).

@dimitar.ns , I tested it again to record a video... All is working correctly. I was using the function while driving and wasn't paying attention... I stuck a button behind the screen, bottom left, and my thumb resting in front of the screen at the same time was touching the settings button a bit. User error :rolleyes: it was so systematic that I never thought it was me. Sorry...

Last edited:
Reactions: dimitar.ns
You can verify also with the S3XY Buttons app.
Ok, but does it show FR and R stator motors kW runing when heating the battery, also in P on the charger? I want to see if the car is conditioning.

Also would really like to see:
Battery usage in kW (helpful in P to see if the heater is running wild)

And also the value "ideal nominal remaining" from SMT(not nominal remaining and not expected as Tesla works with whatever SMT calls "ideal" nominal remaining, especially when the battery is cold)

Any chance of adding these to the dashboard?

Ok, but does it show FR and R stator motors kW runing when heating the battery, also in P on the charger? I want to see if the car is conditioning.
The bars represent the kWs. We will add an option in the StatsForNerds to see the values with a future update.
To see the Off-road in action you don't need the actual kWs but just the difference and distribution. It's clearly seen that it's symmetrical to the front and rear.
Currently, you can check the Front and Rear stator temperatures in Stats For Nerds when preconditioning until we add the kWs.

Battery usage in kW (helpful in P to see if the heater is running wild)
This is shown by the text in kW in front of the left graph in the S3XY Dashboard. It works also in P.

And also the value "ideal nominal remaining" from SMT(not nominal remaining and not expected as Tesla works with whatever SMT calls "ideal" nominal remaining, especially when the battery is cold)
We will add this to the list next time.

This is shown by the text in kW in front of the left graph in the S3XY Dashboard. It works also in P.
The battery usage is in integers kW so it is not useful. It would be great if the exact values in Watts are shown in statsForNerds too or on the Dashboard or both.

I did manage to upgrade, but unfortunately off-road doesn't work for me, shows an error when pressed/saved. All the traction options didn't work and I believe some of the other new features didn't work either. It might be because I am on 2022.20.8 and I will not update unless I get 150km/h Autopilot back. Why wouldn't that work on 20.8?

In terms of other features - the door opening is great especially as we had ice rain the last couple of days, but unfortunately I can't control it with the app, which is the most useful thing as I don't have a button outside of the car. Is there a way to select a "dummy" button and control an action from the phone?

If not, can this be added to the next update as an option - either dummy button for the app or some sort of open door control somewhere on the dashboard?

Interesting enough this feature works, even though I am on 2022.20.8 and Tesla implemented it later on. So maybe off-road can work there too?

We will add this to the list next time.
Happy New year! In addition to the problem with off-road mode, the "auto open driver door/presenting door" also doesn't seem to work as intended. Not sure how to make it trigger, but twice already has this feature left the front door open once I lock the car or walk away from it.
Most of the time it happens when I close the door and walk away from the car/close it with the key fob to come back and find the car open. Luckily nothing was stolen this time...

Anyways, this feature seems to work on the software side - it opens the door, but it doesn't work on the triggering side (not sure what the sequence must be to cause it to trigger) so it would really be better to have an option to present the doors on button press/software button the dashboard.

So these are my main two concerns with this update - off-road not working on my Tesla firmware and the open door feature on manual trigger to be added to the dashboard.

These are killer features in winter, but unfortunately both of them don't work at the moment.

Happy New year! In addition to the problem with off-road mode, the "auto open driver door/presenting door" also doesn't seem to work as intended. Not sure how to make it trigger, but twice already has this feature left the front door open once I lock the car or walk away from it.
Most of the time it happens when I close the door and walk away from the car/close it with the key fob to come back and find the car open. Luckily nothing was stolen this time...

Anyways, this feature seems to work on the software side - it opens the door, but it doesn't work on the triggering side (not sure what the sequence must be to cause it to trigger) so it would really be better to have an option to present the doors on button press/software button the dashboard.

So these are my main two concerns with this update - off-road not working on my Tesla firmware and the open door feature on manual trigger to be added to the dashboard.

These are killer features in winter, but unfortunately both of them don't work at the moment.
We will add soft buttons in the Dashboard probably in February. We plan to make also Siri Shortcuts and iOS widgets afterwards but the problem is there should be a connection to the Commander and the car should be awake. It will not work as the third party apps where you enter your Tesla credentials as we need physical connection of the Commander to control our functions.

Off-road assist doesn’t work because the latest Commander is not compatible with your car software. I know it’s unfortunate but we cannot keep and support updates for all Tesla SW versions. We always try to keep compatibility to the latest Tesla SW and I believe most people will understand and accept that.

Off-road assist doesn’t work because the latest Commander is not compatible with your car software. I know it’s unfortunate but we cannot keep and support updates for all Tesla SW versions. We always try to keep compatibility to the latest Tesla SW and I believe most people will understand and accept that.
What exactly is the issue here, you have a separation of "Before 2022.36" in the settings. Is it that you don't have a car to test it on earlier versions? My version is 1 version before 2022.36 it is not like it is an ancient version, it is from around November - I refuse to update until Tesla figures out Tesla vision.

Maybe you can feed me an Alpha version with some logger and you can check the signals on that version? You did work on it while 2022.20 was the recent version, I don't get it?!

"should be a connection to the Commander and the car should be awake. "
This is no problem as I will be next to the car and open it with the keyfob. I just need a button so that the door opens on command, the Commander will be awake.

It is unreasonable to expect a small company like this to be able to simultaneously support all released flavors of the Tesla firmware. That's especially true since Tesla like to scramble things, change CAN Ids for some signals etc. The S3XY software would become a nightmare to support if it had IF and/or switch statements all over the place for all software, let alone services it could not offer because your software is too old. Yes, I'm sure it did work on those earlier versions at that time but not anymore. If you could get an old S3XY firmware that might work but you'd be accepting to forego the new functionality.

Separately from that statement, Tesla push software to everyone so that we all run roughly the latest software. There's no good way to keep some features behind. When buying a Tesla you need to accept that. You are right that Tesla Vision has some issues, although it also is better in some aspects. Whatever way we feel, the only way is to accept change.

You can sell the S3XY buttons, you can sell the car if those devices don't match your requirements.

Reactions: Hangerr and Svedman
@GtiMart
None of your points are valid and I work as a Software developer for at least 20 years...

@dimitar.ns
I only need offroad/snow mode, nothing else. Not sure which other features you mention.

If you remember it was actually me who tipped you off to that idea of that mode almost a year ago...You also clearly started development of this mode in prior 2022.36 as 36 just came out a month and a half ago (even less). So there is not a valid point that this mode shouldn't work in at least a version or two behind that as you have already tested this on that version...

As you also know, I told you in November that I am not updating to .36 as this is vision only and it doesn't work well. So once again, it would be really dissapointing to not include the snow mode, the only real feature I need from S3XY buttons.

Also, the open of the doors feature, I remeber in a conversation we had back in November I told you it would be great to have a button to open it for earlier versions and you said this is coming and you liked that post.

Then the "feature" comes as a half-baked half-working automated open door command that I am sure nobody really needs (as it is really dangerous the way it is now - it leaves the car door open randomly). I would really appreciate it if you can push a Beta Firmware with a Dashboard button to open the door on demand as we had ice rain the last 2 weeks and it is a nightmare to open the car. This is also great for people on 36 who have no App connectivity - this happens with LTE outages after snow in the area too.

Hope you can reconsider and push the update for both features sometimes soon. Until then I am backing off the recomendation I did on german forums for S3XY buttons...

@dimitar.ns I just want to you guys to know that I love the off-road mode button! It works flawlessly on my MY 21 (China), and it's literally a life-saver. I have to use it several times on every drive nowadays here in Norway due to strongly varying snow conditions, especially when driving between clear main roads and snowy local roads. Having a button for off-road mode instead of having to use the screen while driving in challenging conditions is absolutely amazing!!

I was thinking of the buttons for a while but this is the feature that made me buy them as off-road mode isn't even offered on my AWD model 3.
I should have control over traction and stability like track mode in my opinion since it's easy to do and very useful. I even have acceleration boost which Elon agreed could get track mode... But here I was without any of those features... Buttons to the rescue :)

Hey, are S3XY buttons compatible with aftermarket rear HVAC screens for Model3/Y?

The screen requires tapping into the Center Console’s connector under the rear HVAC, so it seems like it would be one or the other.

Since the HVAC screen comes with a splitter for the Connector (just like S3XY buttons), I wonder if it would be possible to use BOTH splitters in order to use BOTH devices!

Here’s the HVAC screen I’m looking at:

Also, I would LOVE to have an easy way to turn off ALL AUDIBLE WARNINGS in my Model Y. The constant noises really get tiresome.

Can the S3XY buttons do that? Maybe a simple toggle switch where all audible warningscan be turned on/off?