Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two things to consider:

1. P85 makes most sense with the 21" performance tires. Those will incur significant cost in the long term vs 19"s. If it were just the one-time extra cost, I would have been more compelled to get the P.

2. When you schedule service, you can often get a P85 loaner, so once a year or so you'll probably get to drive one anyway and get extra fun.

Anyway, that's why I went with the S85. Traffic is such that I don't get to punch it as often as I want to anyway.

Two things to consider:

1. P85 makes most sense with the 21" performance tires. Those will incur significant cost in the long term vs 19"s. If it were just the one-time extra cost, I would have been more compelled to get the P.

2. When you schedule service, you can often get a P85 loaner, so once a year or so you'll probably get to drive one anyway and get extra fun.

Anyway, that's why I went with the S85. Traffic is such that I don't get to punch it as often as I want to anyway.

Makes the most sense with 21" tires because of traction limits? Is the P85 with 19" just a bad idea?

Makes the most sense with 21" tires because of traction limits? Is the P85 with 19" just a bad idea?

Yeah, traction. I'm just making an assumption that 21" tires will provide the extra grip and handling that go hand-in-hand with what drivers expect from the performance version of a sports car. I think a P85 with 19's is a bit like buying a super fast computer and video card but then skimping on the monitor size. It's not a super bad idea, but I think it's just missing out on a lot of the benefits of the extra performance.

I've tested my S85 (19") and can get the rear to drift somewhat easily when taking aggressive corners. I assume that in a P85 with 21's there would be a lot more traction.

Yeah, traction. I'm just making an assumption that 21" tires will provide the extra grip and handling that go hand-in-hand with what drivers expect from the performance version of a sports car. I think a P85 with 19's is a bit like buying a super fast computer and video card but then skimping on the monitor size. It's not a super bad idea, but I think it's just missing out on a lot of the benefits of the extra performance.

I've tested my S85 (19") and can get the rear to drift somewhat easily when taking aggressive corners. I assume that in a P85 with 21's there would be a lot more traction.

I can tell you driving that P85+ yesterday in Austin, I put it to the limits on corners (at very high speed around a highway u turn) and it stuck like a post it note--suspension was awesome and handling was great. VERY impressed--and that's coming from a 911 4S. Amazing ride in P85+.

Thanks for the comparison. Having driven a friend's Roadster(and falling in love with that several years ago) but not looking for a sports car, I tested the S85, fell in love again....and cannot wait for my metallic brown which should arrive on Sept. 19! I m so excited! I don't think the S85 will disappoint me.

Thanks for the comparison. Having driven a friend's Roadster(and falling in love with that several years ago) but not looking for a sports car, I tested the S85, fell in love again....and cannot wait for my metallic brown which should arrive on Sept. 19! I m so excited! I don't think the S85 will disappoint me.

Welcome to our newest member! I doubt you will be disappointed. You just have to figure out how to contain your excitement for a couple of weeks!

I've had my P85 since January - and did the S85/P85 analysis before deciding on getting the Performance version. Of course, there are differences in the costs now, so some of my analysis may no longer apply.

Before locking in my order - I did an analysis of S85 and P85 and also compared it with the other "luxury" ICEs that I was considering, looking at features and projected long term costs (fuel, maintenance, ...). At last back then, assuming I kept the cars for 6 years, I actually found that the S85 was comparable lifetime cost vs. the luxury ICEs - with the only difference in the ICEs had a few "nice to have" features not yet available on the Model S. So, at least back then, I was able to justify that the additional up front cost for getting the S85 would be recovered long term through annual cost savings.

As for the Performance version - there was no way to justify that financially - the decision to get the P85 - was purely a "luxury" - and I don't regret it. I have the 19" wheels, and haven't noticed any major problems having the 19s vs. the 21s - and the 19s seem a little more practical - should last longer (not sure how much) and not as susceptible to curb rash. In January, the P85 came with features that were not yet available on the S85 - such as the CF interior, alacantra headliner, ... - so those were bonus features that provided extra value along with the performance.

But if I did the same analysis now - I'm not sure I'd end up with the same results. With the price increases, and the unbundling of the previous Performance-only features, if I was ordering the car today, I might have opted for an S85 - and just pick a few of the extra features.

Though - I absolutely do not regret having the P85... The S85 has about the same acceleration as the LS 460 it replaced. The P85 is like the mid-80s Corvette we had - except that it is stealthy quiet to drive, holds 5 adults - and has 10x the storage space!

I'd say just get the S85 unless you can floor it very regularly. My general comparisons between Roadster, S85 and P85+ are here:

P85+ Loaner Report | Tesla Owner

Read your comparison. " I think an interesting option would be to get the “+” without the “P”. "

I've lobbied for TM to provide a suspension upgrade option for the Standard. Don't think they've done so yet.
Have you considered any aftermarket suspension upgrades that might firm up S handling without degrading
ride quality? Like you, I'm holding onto my Roadster for the long run, so I won't give up frequent doses of the
3.7 to 60mph rush that I'm now addicted to, by getting the Standard.

I actually sold my Roadster, couldn't justify another car...
I have not looked into any aftermarket suspension upgrades. I am just going to assume Tesla did the best job it could at finding a middle ground, and I'm satisfied with the compromise.

I don't see why you can't buy the + without the P. Might make sense for some people. I think just the 21" wheels is at least is a step in that direction.

The Roadster rush was really fun but completely unique. For me, I really had to go out of my way and literally wait for cars to go by to truly enjoy it as the roads here are just too busy (not really bad at all but just generally occupied with cars and cyclists). The best place for any rush for me in any car is freeway onramps. They are often empty enough. And a week ago I had to drive my ICE, which is reasonably powered, on a road trip and wow it seems so slow now.

Read your comparison. " I think an interesting option would be to get the “+” without the “P”. "

I've lobbied for TM to provide a suspension upgrade option for the Standard. Don't think they've done so yet.
Have you considered any aftermarket suspension upgrades that might firm up S handling without degrading
ride quality? Like you, I'm holding onto my Roadster for the long run, so I won't give up frequent doses of the
3.7 to 60mph rush that I'm now addicted to, by getting the Standard.

I don't see why you can't buy the + without the P. Might make sense for some people. I think just the 21" wheels is at least is a step in that direction.
"S85+" seems like a way of saying "trackify my S85 for low-to-mid speed track activity" (like autocross).

Stepping back though, I think the "+" is not the first thing I would do to make the Model S a "weekend track car". This first thing I would do is to provide a "more than 3 laps at full power" option. It might be limited to 30 minute sessions, but "3 laps (at high speed) or less" is definitely a current track deficit for the P85 and P85+. For the S85 it might be 5 laps or some-such. On a sunny day with some tracks, a P85 can cap acceleration in a single lap.

I know they didn't design this vehicle for track use, but some would say the Plus package kind of was. I hope they give us a temporary setting somewhere (like the traction control setting) but I'm not betting they will. :(