Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sacker is useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for the past month or so slacker is pretty much useless. When I search for a song and choose the song from search results in the songs list it creates "radio" named with the name of the song but plays anything but that song.

Am I doing something wrong or this is how it is with slacker?

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36 and Algbc
Yeah, Slacker is not good for playing a specific song and it gets my 5 year old really mad. It is hard to explain to him why clicking on the song plays something else. Slacker is kind of good for playing similar songs, but if you want a specific song or album, then it really sucks. I wish Tesla would do an integration with Spotify instead, so much better.

I find Slacker plays two or three numbers from a chosen album per day. Next day, other numbers from the album play. To speed the process to get the desired songs, just tap the fast forward control repeatedly until another random selection from the album appears. After asking for the album (i.e.: "Play La La Land") click the heart icon to save the ("La La Land Radio") station to favorites.

The best part of Slacker is demonstrating it to friends. Let them name their favorite song and artist. Most of the music that plays are their favorites. Next, tap fast forward to see if their song will play, most of the time a dozen or two taps will bring it up. I have discovered wonderful music I have never heard before by using Slacker.

Last edited:
I'm confused.

I just said "play gravel" in my Tesla.

A list came.
Touched "Songs" tab.
Saw "Gravel" by Ani Difranco under streaming.
Touched the listing and the song played.

Tried half a dozen more songs and always got the song. Either voice command or typing in initial search always worked.

if you pay for a slacker premium account, then it will function like the way you want it to via direct song search.

As included with your Tesla purchase, Slacker radio works as intended as a "radio" where it will sometimes play the actual song you search for, but rather create a station with similar genre songs, etc.

As of now, it very much works just like Pandora (free) vs Pandora One (paid)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
As originally rolled out by Tesla and demonstrated by Elon Musk, Slacker is supposed to be able to play the actual song that you request. If it plays something similar instead, that means Slacker does not have the rights for that song, or you have recently played the same song and cannot do it again within a certain time frame.