Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety restraint system fault - Fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had this happen and tells wants over $500 to fix it.

The worse part is that they already fixed it 2 time prior.

One time under warranty and another time out of "good will".

Now they want me to pay for something they should have fixed the first time.
My car is in the Tesla service center for a different problem. But, like in your case, it is my third time in the shop for the same issue in the last 8 months. But, this third time will be the first while out of warranty. I went up the chain of command but they will not budge from their stance that I have to now pay for the repair since I am no longer in warranty—even though it was their incompetence that my issue was not resolved during the first two attempts while in warranty.

They tell me that repair work is only warrantied IF I paid for the repair. But, who the hell pays for warranty eligible work while still in warranty?

Screw Tesla. I’m done with their crappy quality cars and service.

My car is in the Tesla service center for a different problem. But, like in your case, it is my third time in the shop for the same issue in the last 8 months. But, this third time will be the first while out of warranty. I went up the chain of command but they will not budge from their stance that I have to now pay for the repair since I am no longer in warranty—even though it was their incompetence that my issue was not resolved during the first two attempts while in warranty.

They tell me that repair work is only warrantied IF I paid for the repair. But, who the hell pays for warranty eligible work while still in warranty?

Screw Tesla. I’m done with their crappy quality cars and service.
I just got charged $370 for the out of warranty work. I guess it varies between service center but they were cool and didn't charge me for the rear seat pad replacement, just the buckle/sensors.

I had this error pop up for the front driver side seat. Service estimated me $450 to fix the issue since I am out of warranty and I thought screw them. So did some research and found out they are installing noise canceling ferrites to fix the issue. So I bought a pack of ferrites from amazon and installed a bunch on every cable. This kinda fixed the issue. It was only occurring when the seat switches to easy mode. I discovered that the error would only pop up when I move the seat up or down. So I removed the vertical movement in easy mode. My conclusion is that there is some electrical interference between vertical movement motor cable and seat pressure sensor. Fingers crossed the issue has not come back so far.

Interesting. Do you have any pics of where you put them?

This size?

So my "Rear Left Safety Restraint" error came on at like 6k miles randomly. Mobile ranger came out took the bench seat out messed with wiring but seem to fix anything. The error came right back after driving a half mile. I lived with the error for a while and then made a service appt. Tesla SC in OKC had my car for like a week and a half. Told me it was fixed. Error came back after driving like 1 mile. Ugh. I now have 20k miles and have just learned to live with the error. Oh and SC cracked the black plastic side panel by the rear left side of the bench seat while it was there and curb rashed the rear left Uber wheel a little. I juts don't want to take it back to them. So ridiculous.

Your post is encouraging for me. Any pictures or additional insight is super helpful. I'm going to do exactly what you did. Thanks!

Just realized this is a Model 3 thread and I have '22 MYP. But still any additonal information is helpful. Thanks!
No worries. Model 3s and Ys are 70% the same parts. I tried to take as many pictures as I could as it is difficult to get pictures under the seat. The filters that I bought from amazon came in a set of different sizes (This one: https://a.co/d/6WqfjEK). This works very well because the cables have varying diameters.
I also added heavy duty tape to the connector for the seat pressure sensor since it felt like a loose connection. Also used the tape to secure all cables.
IMG_4321.JPG
IMG_4316.JPG
IMG_4315.JPG
IMG_4329.JPG

So I bought two packs of ferittes and put them on every electrical wire under the rear bench. Did two 10-15 min drives error didn't come on and I was like holy *sugar* it worked. Then made a 40 min drive home (hwy) and the error randomly came back on and stayed on. Once home I put ferrites on all the wires I could under front seat. Just went for a 20 min drive and the error is back in full force lol...worse than before...dings and comes on for a minute...goes away...comes on...repeat...the whole drive. Sooooooo annoying. I'm at a loss at this point. Guess I'll try to get a ranger back out to take a look. I just don't want to take back the SC and have them keep car for a week or longer only to give it back tell me it's fixed and the error comes right back. Ugh. My car would be perfect if it wasn't for this issue which is honestly the only reason I was afraid to buy a Tesla. Fear of an electrical or sensor issue that couldn't be solved.

Oh, and I also deleted easy entry and had front seat in a basic non-extreme position.

Anyway. Do the ferrites need to be positioned in a certain way?

So I bought two packs of ferittes and put them on every electrical wire under the rear bench. Did two 10-15 min drives error didn't come on and I was like holy *sugar* it worked. Then made a 40 min drive home (hwy) and the error randomly came back on and stayed on. Once home I put ferrites on all the wires I could under front seat. Just went for a 20 min drive and the error is back in full force lol...worse than before...dings and comes on for a minute...goes away...comes on...repeat...the whole drive. Sooooooo annoying. I'm at a loss at this point. Guess I'll try to get a ranger back out to take a look. I just don't want to take back the SC and have them keep car for a week or longer only to give it back tell me it's fixed and the error comes right back. Ugh. My car would be perfect if it wasn't for this issue which is honestly the only reason I was afraid to buy a Tesla. Fear of an electrical or sensor issue that couldn't be solved.

Oh, and I also deleted easy entry and had front seat in a basic non-extreme position.

Anyway. Do the ferrites need to be positioned in a certain way?
Sorry to send you in the wrong path. I experienced the exact same thing. I ended up scheduling another service appointment and this time they charged me $160. Guy came and replaced the seat harness. The wires are too short and get stretched out. I think this is the only way. I will return the ferrites back to amazon. Is your fault also RCM_a021?

1678222903111.png
1678223028313.png

Thanks for the update and no worries about the ferrite fix. I was willing to try anything. Glad they got yours fixed! I'll reach back to the SC and see if a ranger can come do the seat harness! Yes, my alert is also RCM_a021.

On my 1st attempt a ranger replaced the rear left seat retractor. Didn't fix the issue.

On my 2md attempt SC replaced the restraint control module. Didn't fix the issue.

I'll update if the seat harness fix is applicable to the rear. It may not be, but it might be that sensor inside the front seat cushion that is somehow related to the rear restraint that is causing the issue.

Reactions: Waqasi85
Dropped car off at OKC SC on Friday. They diagnosed as "damage to a terminal on the Restraint Control Module. The left body wiring harness will need to be replaced". Supposed to be done on Monday. SC Mgr super friendly and helpful. So far so good this appt. They gave me a loaner M3 with FSD which is nice. I'll post again after I get my car back. Btw they gave no me grief about my MYP being on coilovers.

I have been getting an RCM_a094 fault. Initially said it was $114, then just replied today that they preemptively ordered another part just in case it was a different issue, and that would cost $838.75! This happened almost immediately after my last service, so I’m somewhat skeptical.

Sorry to send you in the wrong path. I experienced the exact same thing. I ended up scheduling another service appointment and this time they charged me $160. Guy came and replaced the seat harness. The wires are too short and get stretched out. I think this is the only way. I will return the ferrites back to amazon. Is your fault also RCM_a021?

View attachment 914974View attachment 914976
I have been getting an RCM_a094 fault. Initially said it was $114, then just replied today that they preemptively ordered another part just in case it was a different issue, and that would cost $838.75! This happened almost immediately after my last service, so I’m somewhat skeptical.
It was the Restraint Control Module in my case. Got the car back. No error. All good after a week of driving.
I actually have been getting a similar error since early March on my 2023 MYLR. I'll need to check the error code but the message is "Front passenger safety restraint system fault" (I had created a thread on about this in MY section of TMC).

I scheduled a Service appointment through the Tesla app and this is what the estimate's PDF shows (estimated cost is $0 cause my car is still under warranty):

screenshot_20230401-152513-png.923905

Any idea what this indicates? Like are they going to replace my entire passenger seat? Cause that seems very overkill...

Seems like Tesla service is all over the place with "solutions" to this problem. I watched a YouTube video where a Tesla mobile technician attached that small piece shown in the images from a post above. I read online threads/posts where for some people, Tesla ended up replacing the entire seat. And then for other people, Tesla did something else entirely. Also read some posts where some Tesla owners were able to find a loose cable underneath their seats and push it in properly for the error to no longer appear.

I actually have been getting a similar error since early March on my 2023 MYLR. I'll need to check the error code but the message is "Front passenger safety restraint system fault" (I had created a thread on about this in MY section of TMC).

I scheduled a Service appointment through the Tesla app and this is what the estimate's PDF shows (estimated cost is $0 cause my car is still under warranty):

screenshot_20230401-152513-png.923905

Any idea what this indicates? Like are they going to replace my entire passenger seat? Cause that seems very overkill...

Seems like Tesla service is all over the place with "solutions" to this problem. I watched a YouTube video where a Tesla mobile technician attached that small piece shown in the images from a post above. I read online threads/posts where for some people, Tesla ended up replacing the entire seat. And then for other people, Tesla did something else entirely. Also read some posts where some Tesla owners were able to find a loose cable underneath their seats and push it in properly for the error to no longer appear.
I have that same error in my 3. I have an appointment scheduled for the 13th.

Reactions: rr_92
I have that same error in my 3. I have an appointment scheduled for the 13th.
What does the estimate PDF for your service appointment show? That might give an indication of what they might fix as it'll have the parts they're ordering and the labor cost.

I also have a service appointment next week but the appointment keeps getting pushed cause Tesla says there are delays in getting all the parts.

Here was mine. I told them what I found on this forum and that is what they fixed lol. Error code is now gone...finally. OKC SC was very good this time imo.

View attachment 925892
Thanks! I'll check the specific error code that I'm getting cause my error message does seem slightly different than yours.

Did you provide the info to them via the chat with Service? For me, I scheduled a service and they just provided me the cost estimate PDF above which shows what they'll probably be doing.

What does the estimate PDF for your service appointment show? That might give an indication of what they might fix as it'll have the parts they're ordering and the labor cost.

I also have a service appointment next week but the appointment keeps getting pushed cause Tesla says there are delays in getting all the parts.
Here is my PDF:

Attachments

• IMG_1858.PNG
    IMG_1858.PNG
    474.1 KB · Views: 240